Refermenting a sweet lambic

Reads 2064 • Replies 28 • Started Sunday, March 30, 2014 12:06:41 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Danko
02:43 Tue 4/29/2014

Use a strain that eats more complex sugars, not champagne yeast.

kraddel
beers 10779 º places 386 º 06:32 Tue 4/29/2014

Originally posted by Danko

Any ideas for yeasts to use ?

Danko
07:09 Tue 4/29/2014

French Saison.

levifunk
beers 12 º 08:22 Tue 4/29/2014

@kraddel-

Interesting. I wonder if using a brett strain would work better since its able to break down complex sugars.

FWIW, a few years ago we tried this with New Glarus’s Belgian Red. We bought a 1/2 barrel and filled up 3 carboys. Then pitched active cultures from 3 different funky beers (Sanctification, El Diable Deluxe, and 3F OG?). There was some activity for the first day, but then fizzled out in all 3 carboys. Pitched another culture and it would ferment for a day and then fizzle out. Our understanding was that there was some sort of preservative added to the beer that was killing the yeast.

Since Lindemans Kriek is basically the same as Belgian Red, I’m wondering if the culprit isn’t complex sugars but a preservative. Did you take any gravity readings? How long did you have active fermentation?

Frank
beers 4561 º places 92 º 09:05 Tue 4/29/2014

I think those universal bungs you can get from most homebrew supllies will seal reasonably well over a regular bottle if you put it on upside down.

Bacterial
beers 3140 º places 134 º 09:07 Tue 4/29/2014

Originally posted by kraddel
Originally posted by Danko

Any ideas for yeasts to use ?

I agree with Levifunk - Brett, Brett and more Brett!

Thanks again for doing this experiment, has me curious to try it out as well.

Bacterial
beers 3140 º places 134 º 09:08 Tue 4/29/2014

Originally posted by levifunk

I’m wondering if the culprit isn’t complex sugars but a preservative.

We could do some growth inhibition experiments or even some simple plate assays to determine if there is a preservative present. And by we I mean CLevar.

drowland
beers 11069 º places 430 º 17:50 Tue 4/29/2014

Originally posted by kraddel
so , guys !
I made 2 bottles out of it . Fermented with champagneyeast, refermented in bottle . 1 bottle I drank yesterday , 1 is to see what age does to it .

I got it to ferment, but Danko was right ; most of the sweeteners do not ferment . the endresult is still sweet . Fermentation did take some of the colorants down with it , so the beer became a bit lighter in color .

Taste-wise , there was some sourness ( but not much ) and it was indeed very dry . Still to sweet but at least it now was interesting .

In the scent , I got the best results . The regular smells like sweet cherrie , and nothing else .
Here, you got the idea of red fruits , along with the still very full cherrie smell . I know no other fruits were added, but still ..

It’s a very interesting beer to try , but nothing that you would wanna drink daily . Maybe another yeaststrain ? Another base beer ?

Curious what the one with age will turn out to be like

Sour and very dry but still too sweet? Confused here.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer