Rome Question

Reads 1598 • Replies 17 • Started Tuesday, September 9, 2014 7:22:19 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

TimE
beers 8459 º places 409 º 07:22 Tue 9/9/2014

The info on http://www.ratebeer.com/p/domus-birrae-roma/16450/

Is outdated (ie. webpage link is dead) and I can’t read Italian, but I assume it is closed on Sunday, is this correct? Place information should always be displayed in English, especially relating to operating hours.

Thanks for help in advance.

Tim

jorge76
beers 24 º places 452 º 07:57 Tue 9/9/2014

They are updating the website .. They invite to send a email to the mail address you can see there for any info .. Yes it’s closed in Sunday

graziano85
beers 769 º places 16 º 12:17 Tue 9/9/2014

On their FB page they write that is open every day, from monday to saturday, from 10:00 to 21:00.
Sunday is closed.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Domus-Birrae/182949531728010?sk=info

KansaiBeerLvrs
beers 8479 º places 567 º 04:19 Tue 9/23/2014

TimE visiting Rome? I will be there for Christmas myself...

TimE
beers 8459 º places 409 º 04:57 Tue 9/23/2014

Just got back. Don’t see the point of going anywhere but Bir&Food and Ma Che.

Travlr
beers 33887 º places 4583 º 05:10 Tue 9/23/2014

Originally posted by TimE
...and 4:20. And Open Baladin. And the Trevi Fountain (no beer there, though, and no water at the moment either).

haukur
beers 2184 º places 32 º 05:35 Tue 9/23/2014

I was just going to post a Rome question! I will be in Rome on the 31st of october, going to visit Open Baladin at least. Can anybody tell me about their bottle selection, especially sours, and is it true it is to go, i.e. you can buy and take with you home.

Also, if anybody is interested in IP trade then please do! I have some Icelandic micro if people are interested

digita7693
beers 1 º places 7 º 05:41 Tue 9/23/2014

Originally posted by Travlr
Originally posted by TimE
...and 4:20. And Open Baladin. And the Trevi Fountain (no beer there, though, and no water at the moment either).

exactly brasserie 420 is wonderful, the people are great, one of my favorites.

TimE
beers 8459 º places 409 º 15:25 Tue 9/23/2014

OK, maybe should have gone to 420, but lots of recent ratings suggest it is a bit of a let down. Also, not so convenient. Open Baladin only had one barrel aged beer left on tap and my feeling is this won’t change for awhile. Lots of mediocre beers on tap and I felt like I might be swimming in mediocre beers my entire trip. Bottle selection at Baladin was very limited and didn’t see much sours. Food was also not nearly up to hype. Loved the staff there and the layout, but overall you could skip it. Ma Che is world class all the way (except I personally prefer good bar good) and Bir&Food is worth going for just for the food, but the beer selection is clearly above Open Baladin by miles AND these places are 10 second walk from each other.

Trevi Fountain is wonderful right now if you love scaffolding, long lines and monuments missing major features (ie. water).
The Colosseum and Roman Forum were my two favorite sites (beside each other). Get the Rome Pass, as it is economically very good.

If you want suggestions of places to stay (in the 100-150 euro range) BM me. One place particularly by the Colosseum was great.

Tim

fiulijn
beers 28318 º places 745 º 18:22 Tue 9/23/2014

Originally posted by haukur
I was just going to post a Rome question! I will be in Rome on the 31st of october, going to visit Open Baladin at least. Can anybody tell me about their bottle selection, especially sours, and is it true it is to go, i.e. you can buy and take with you home.

Also, if anybody is interested in IP trade then please do! I have some Icelandic micro if people are interested

Baladin produced a range of special barley wines, mainly under the name Xyauyu, Terre and Lune (sort the brewery page by ABV).
At Open Baladin they used to have some of them available by the glass.

If you get the Xyauyu, it’s likely the "oro/golden", as it doesn’t seem that they produce the "rame/copper" and the "argento/silver" anymore.
If you have the Xyauyu Fume, it’s likely to be the whiskey BA one, as the Lapsang Suchong also is not produced anymore.
You need to check the bottle carefully with those..

KansaiBeerLvrs
beers 8479 º places 567 º 18:58 Tue 9/23/2014

Thanks for the info TimE as I will be there in December...