Sours with training wheels.

Reads 4090 • Replies 62 • Started Tuesday, May 5, 2009 1:14:07 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

HOPSHUNTER
beers 742 º places 33 º 13:53 Tue 5/5/2009

Originally posted by Adam77
Originally posted by ditmier
Verhaeghe Duchesse de Bourgogne

I was going to mention this first but he already rated it.

Yeah, and I wasn’t crazy about it.

bvc
beers 1244 º places 103 º 13:54 Tue 5/5/2009

Monk’s Café Flemish Sour Red Ale is a excellent entry sour that should be easy to find. Bottles are smaller format and relatively inexpensive (under $4 if I recall) so if you aren’t into it, the sunk cost is fairly minimal.

http://ratebeer.com/beer/monks-cafe-flemish-sour-red-ale/24418 /

bvc
beers 1244 º places 103 º 13:58 Tue 5/5/2009

Originally posted by bvc
Monk’s Café Flemish Sour Red Ale is a excellent entry sour that should be easy to find. Bottles are smaller format and relatively inexpensive (under $4 if I recall) so if you aren’t into it, the sunk cost is fairly minimal.

http://ratebeer.com/beer/monks-cafe-flemish-sour-red-ale/24418 /

Try this link...
Monk’s Flemish Sour

HOPSHUNTER
beers 742 º places 33 º 14:18 Tue 5/5/2009

So, please excuse my "green-ness" but now I’m a little confused. Are Lambics considered "sours"? My only experience with Lambic is Lindemans and I never thought of it as a "sour". I always thought (and again pardon my naivety)Lambics were fruit-laden and very sweet. I also thought a Geuze was pretty much a Lambic before the addition of the fruit. Could someone straighten me out on this please?

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 14:20 Tue 5/5/2009

Originally posted by tytoanderso
Lindeman’s Cuvee Rene is and excellent intro to gueuze. Definitely a "training wheel" lambic.

I found my first Cuvee Rene to be like doing rounds with Mike Tyson. I didn’t think there could be anything more sour.

I’ve since revisited and found bottles to almost all be very easy.

I’m wondering if there’s variance, a recipe change or if it was just my newbie experience.

CanIHave4Beers
beers 4373 º places 76 º 14:26 Tue 5/5/2009

Originally posted by HOPSHUNTER
So, please excuse my "green-ness" but now I’m a little confused. Are Lambics considered "sours"? My only experience with Lambic is Lindemans and I never thought of it as a "sour". I always thought (and again pardon my naivety)Lambics were fruit-laden and very sweet. I also thought a Geuze was pretty much a Lambic before the addition of the fruit. Could someone straighten me out on this please?

It’s cool you’re certainly not off kilter with what most people think of when they think of lambics. However this is only because the representation of lambics in the United States (and most places) is dominated by sweetened and artificially flavored products from a few breweries, namely Lindemans. For the most part though, Lambics have always been a very sour spontaneously fermented beer aged in oak (that’s a pretty standard description that gives you the basics) Geuze is a blend consisting of different aged lambic beers (without any fruit) The general idea for a Geuze is that you take one two and three year old Lambics blend them to taste and bottle em up.

DonMagi
beers 5592 º places 50 º 14:26 Tue 5/5/2009

Start with a Rodenback Grand cru and make sure you drink a whole bottle then you’ll fully understand the style, then go get a morte subite oude gueuze and it’ll make you go ah gueuze is quite good too. Then go mad and get some Girardain Black label and then know that unless you get some uber rare bad boyz from belgium, you’ll never try a better sour beer.

ditmier
beers 1508 º 14:27 Tue 5/5/2009

Originally posted by Adam77
Originally posted by ditmier
Verhaeghe Duchesse de Bourgogne

I was going to mention this first but he already rated it.

Well then you obviously win...

urbeer
beers 40 º places 4 º 14:48 Tue 5/5/2009

Struiselensis & Keralensis for example :-), cheers, Urbain

minch25
beers 576 º places 1 º 14:49 Tue 5/5/2009

Originally posted by Magicdave6
Start with a Rodenback Grand cru and make sure you drink a whole bottle then you’ll fully understand the style, then go get a morte subite oude gueuze and it’ll make you go ah gueuze is quite good too. Then go mad and get some Girardain Black label and then know that unless you get some uber rare bad boyz from belgium, you’ll never try a better sour beer.

+1. I don’t think you need to start with the most extreme sour beers, but you should at least start with very good ones. To me Duchesse de Bourgogne isn’t a good place to start unless your idea of good sour is vinegar.