"Spontaneous" fermentation using wood

Reads 1318 • Replies 14 • Started Friday, August 31, 2012 11:47:27 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

HornyDevil
11:47 Fri 8/31/2012

Just racked a sour cherry braggot off of the fruit and the oak spiral that it had been on for the past 9 months and thought that it’d be pretty cool to experiment a little with the spiral. The beer is part of a series that has seen three strains of Brett, pedio, lacto, and probably a couple saccharomyces strains as well, so I’m hoping that the spiral will be able initiate fermentation in "horny" wort.

Whether it be filling a previously used oak barrel or using oak chips or spirals, have any of you guys done this type of thing?

CLevar
places 23 º 12:01 Fri 8/31/2012

Originally posted by HornyDevil
Just racked a sour cherry braggot off of the fruit and the oak spiral that it had been on for the past 9 months and thought that it’d be pretty cool to experiment a little with the spiral. The beer is part of a series that has seen three strains of Brett, pedio, lacto, and probably a couple saccharomyces strains as well, so I’m hoping that the spiral will be able initiate fermentation in "horny" wort.

Whether it be filling a previously used oak barrel or using oak chips or spirals, have any of you guys done this type of thing?

Pretty sure what you are describing is how Haand ferments/inoculates a lot of their sours/wilds. The "brewing stick" method. Scroll to bottom

HornyDevil
12:08 Fri 8/31/2012

Originally posted by CLevar
Pretty sure what you are describing is how Haand ferments/inoculates a lot of their sours/wilds. The "brewing stick" method. Scroll to bottom

That’s pretty cool.

And gross.

But mostly cool.

NobleSquirrel
beers 3437 º places 209 º 12:36 Fri 8/31/2012

It says on the site that they "will use it one day." Are you sure they actually have used it?

Cletus
beers 6349 º places 233 º 12:40 Fri 8/31/2012

Do you like the house character of the beer you have already used the stick in? I would think things like acetobacter could easily get into your beer using this method.

krumb
12:40 Fri 8/31/2012

I’ve got an inoculated spiral that I use when souring a beer. I keep it in a ziplock in the fridge when not being used. Been through 3 fermentations with it. And it’s a funky little bugger.

CLevar
places 23 º 12:41 Fri 8/31/2012

Originally posted by NobleSquirrel

It says on the site that they "will use it one day." Are you sure they actually have used it?

No idea.

HornyDevil
13:57 Fri 8/31/2012

Originally posted by krumb
I’ve got an inoculated spiral that I use when souring a beer. I keep it in a ziplock in the fridge when not being used. Been through 3 fermentations with it. And it’s a funky little bugger.

How sour does the final beer turn out?

HornyDevil
14:09 Fri 8/31/2012

Originally posted by Cletus
Do you like the house character of the beer you have already used the stick in?

Yeah, I like the character. It could be more lacticly sour, but otherwise it’s pretty damn solid.

I would think things like acetobacter could easily get into your beer using this method.

How so?

CLevar
places 23 º 15:09 Fri 8/31/2012

Do you like the house character of the beer you have already used the stick in?

Yeah, I like the character. It could be more lacticly sour, but otherwise it’s pretty damn solid.

I would think things like acetobacter could easily get into your beer using this method.

How so?

I would guess the aceto claim has to do with the fact that you are removing it from what should be anaerobic beer, introducing oxygen to an environment (ie, food) in which aceto likes to live.

However, this makes the assumption that aceto is present in that spiral/wood. If it is not, and you are careful about things, I don’t see why it would be an issue

HornyDevil
15:19 Fri 8/31/2012

However, this makes the assumption that aceto is present in that spiral/wood. If it is not, and you are careful about things, I don’t see why it would be an issue

I’ll most probably make a starter with the spiral just to make sure I don’t ruin 5 gallons of wort.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer