RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Homebrew | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

"Spontaneous" fermentation using wood

read 985 times • 14 replies • posted 8/31/2012 11:47:27 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2

HornyDevil
Just racked a sour cherry braggot off of the fruit and the oak spiral that it had been on for the past 9 months and thought that itíd be pretty cool to experiment a little with the spiral. The beer is part of a series that has seen three strains of Brett, pedio, lacto, and probably a couple saccharomyces strains as well, so Iím hoping that the spiral will be able initiate fermentation in "horny" wort.

Whether it be filling a previously used oak barrel or using oak chips or spirals, have any of you guys done this type of thing?
Private message Send the author a private message

premium
CLevar 376:10
Originally posted by HornyDevil
Just racked a sour cherry braggot off of the fruit and the oak spiral that it had been on for the past 9 months and thought that itíd be pretty cool to experiment a little with the spiral. The beer is part of a series that has seen three strains of Brett, pedio, lacto, and probably a couple saccharomyces strains as well, so Iím hoping that the spiral will be able initiate fermentation in "horny" wort.

Whether it be filling a previously used oak barrel or using oak chips or spirals, have any of you guys done this type of thing?

Pretty sure what you are describing is how Haand ferments/inoculates a lot of their sours/wilds. The "brewing stick" method. Scroll to bottom
8/31/2012 12:01:34 PM

Private message send the author a private message

HornyDevil
Originally posted by CLevar
Pretty sure what you are describing is how Haand ferments/inoculates a lot of their sours/wilds. The "brewing stick" method. Scroll to bottom

Thatís pretty cool.

And gross.

But mostly cool.
8/31/2012 12:08:08 PM

premium
NobleSquirrel 3437:209

It says on the site that they "will use it one day." Are you sure they actually have used it?
8/31/2012 12:36:51 PM

premium
Cletus 6354:233
Do you like the house character of the beer you have already used the stick in? I would think things like acetobacter could easily get into your beer using this method.
8/31/2012 12:40:05 PM

krumb
Iíve got an inoculated spiral that I use when souring a beer. I keep it in a ziplock in the fridge when not being used. Been through 3 fermentations with it. And itís a funky little bugger.
8/31/2012 12:40:20 PM

premium
Originally posted by NobleSquirrel

It says on the site that they "will use it one day." Are you sure they actually have used it?

No idea.
8/31/2012 12:41:35 PM

HornyDevil
Originally posted by krumb
Iíve got an inoculated spiral that I use when souring a beer. I keep it in a ziplock in the fridge when not being used. Been through 3 fermentations with it. And itís a funky little bugger.

How sour does the final beer turn out?
8/31/2012 1:57:20 PM

HornyDevil
Originally posted by Cletus
Do you like the house character of the beer you have already used the stick in?

Yeah, I like the character. It could be more lacticly sour, but otherwise itís pretty damn solid.

I would think things like acetobacter could easily get into your beer using this method.

How so?
8/31/2012 2:09:24 PM

premium
Do you like the house character of the beer you have already used the stick in?

Yeah, I like the character. It could be more lacticly sour, but otherwise itís pretty damn solid.

I would think things like acetobacter could easily get into your beer using this method.

How so?

I would guess the aceto claim has to do with the fact that you are removing it from what should be anaerobic beer, introducing oxygen to an environment (ie, food) in which aceto likes to live.

However, this makes the assumption that aceto is present in that spiral/wood. If it is not, and you are careful about things, I donít see why it would be an issue
8/31/2012 3:09:25 PM

HornyDevil
However, this makes the assumption that aceto is present in that spiral/wood. If it is not, and you are careful about things, I donít see why it would be an issue

Iíll most probably make a starter with the spiral just to make sure I donít ruin 5 gallons of wort.
8/31/2012 3:19:54 PM

Home > Forums > Homebrew

Page 1 | 2

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add