Spontanious German Invasion

Reads 2908 • Replies 20 • Started Monday, March 17, 2014 4:07:39 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

FatPhil
beers 26185 º places 995 º 16:07 Mon 3/17/2014

Anna’s let me off the leash for a few weeks, so I’m going to buy a 15-day EuroLines bus ticket (or equivalent) and head down south to Poland and thence to Germany.

As of yet, absolutely no destinations are known. Are there any couch-surfing possibilities - it would be nice to see plenty of different parts of the country. It will basically be my first trip to the country since I’ve had the capability of independent thought, so will want to do a tourist+beer combination (but not too many touristy things, give me picturesque old towns and a couple of churches, and I’m sated, or a just beatiful natural view, I’m easily satisfied). Is getting around easy and cheap in Germany - I’m on a tight budget as I’m unemployed presently.

Suggestions?

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 01:34 Tue 3/18/2014

Originally posted by FatPhil
Anna’s let me off the leash for a few weeks, so I’m going to buy a 15-day EuroLines bus ticket (or equivalent) and head down south to Poland and thence to Germany.

As of yet, absolutely no destinations are known. Are there any couch-surfing possibilities - it would be nice to see plenty of different parts of the country. It will basically be my first trip to the country since I’ve had the capability of independent thought, so will want to do a tourist+beer combination (but not too many touristy things, give me picturesque old towns and a couple of churches, and I’m sated, or a just beatiful natural view, I’m easily satisfied). Is getting around easy and cheap in Germany - I’m on a tight budget as I’m unemployed presently.

Suggestions?

Suggestion: Post in the Germany forum.

Bamberg is easily the best combination of beautiful historic city and interesting beer. Also much cheaper than big cities like Berlin. 15 days is quite a good visit.

digita7693
beers 1 º places 7 º 02:17 Tue 3/18/2014

I agree on Bamberg, but Berlin can be cheap if you are careful, and it is much better than Munich(cost wise).

Getting around Germany is very easy, but not always cheap. Depends on what you need?
Taking trains between cities can be cheap if you book well in advance. Public transit within cities is pretty fair.
Traveling between cities you can also use mitfahrgelegenheit.de, which is a ride share website.

FatPhil
beers 26185 º places 995 º 02:41 Tue 3/18/2014

15 days sounds a lot, but once you’ve subtracted 5 days for Riga, Vilnius, ans Warsaw or similar at either end, it becomes a lot more rushed. I shall prioritise Bamberg, thanks for that nudge. I was hoping to taste fresh Kölsch too (as every one I’ve had so far has been indistinguishable from pale lager). Trasport-wise Berlin might be unavoidable. I’m no fan of metropolises, so probably won’t stay long.

Is free wifi common in bars and cafes, or should I just buy myself a pay-as-you-go SIM for internet use?

digita7693
beers 1 º places 7 º 03:12 Tue 3/18/2014

Free wifi in Germany is sadly not as ubiquitous as in almost every other country, however it is slowly coming here, so it will be a bit hit and miss with where you can get it.

harrisoni
beers 25368 º places 68 º 03:50 Tue 3/18/2014

HI Phil

For cheap nights in Bamberg try Fassla or Spezial to stay from €40 a night B&B. I bought a preloaded SIM from Ritesim.com for internet use, easy to set up and worked fine from my unlocked smartphone.

Koln can be expensive compared with Bamberg. One day/evening in Koln is enough to try them all. After all they are only 20cl shots of beer. Pfaffen, Paffgen, Fruh and Schreckenskammer were my favourites. I liked the Gaffel Haus as a pub too.

But Bamberg/Franconia is where you want to be. Beautiful, friendly, and fantastic beer.

BM me if you want more details.

Phil
beers 181 º places 34 º 03:58 Tue 3/18/2014

Originally posted by harrisoni
HI Phil

For cheap nights in Bamberg try Fassla or Spezial to stay from €40 a night B&B. I bought a preloaded SIM from Ritesim.com for internet use, easy to set up and worked fine from my unlocked smartphone.

Koln can be expensive compared with Bamberg. One day/evening in Koln is enough to try them all. After all they are only 20cl shots of beer. Pfaffen, Paffgen, Fruh and Schreckenskammer were my favourites. I liked the Gaffel Haus as a pub too.

But Bamberg/Franconia is where you want to be. Beautiful, friendly, and fantastic beer.

BM me if you want more details.

^ this, is spot on. Also, get fat and have a Schweinhaxe.

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 01:32 Wed 3/19/2014

Originally posted by digita7693
Free wifi in Germany is sadly not as ubiquitous as in almost every other country, however it is slowly coming here, so it will be a bit hit and miss with where you can get it.

Here? Thought you "wandered out" of the country!

digita7693
beers 1 º places 7 º 05:07 Wed 3/19/2014

I did for about 13months, to Portlandia... Loved every second there!
But a social system, real vacation and great job offers for my wife and myself dragged us back:)
...love my precious Niederlassungserlaubnis ;)

Koelschtrinker
beers 28835 º places 22 º 05:28 Wed 3/19/2014

I could show you around in Köln when time allows it.

graziano85
beers 769 º places 16 º 06:41 Wed 3/19/2014

Originally posted by FatPhil
Is free wifi common in bars and cafes, or should I just buy myself a pay-as-you-go SIM for internet use?

About internet, Germany has some of the most "bothering" restrictions in the world (or at least in Europe, for what I know), especially on Youtube so many videos will not start!!
If you need, you can easily solve this problem by installing ProxTube, it’s a great extension made for Firefox.