Styles You Don’t Like and Ratings

Reads 2600 • Replies 36 • Started Thursday, July 5, 2012 7:09:34 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Originally posted by b3shine
My guess is there’s a lot of individual variation with this...
I agree, I just find it interesting to see the individual opinions on the matter; I am not looking for a "right" answer.

jercraigs
beers 14882 º places 1051 º 06:32 Fri 7/6/2012

I rate everything... I tend not to buy styles I know I am not predisposed to like but will rate them at tastings/festivals. I used to find sours undrinkable, and now thoroughly enjoy them. I still hate the majority of smoked beers, but if I never tried any then I would have missed out on some pretty decent brews.

That said, I don’t think its fair for me to give Schlenkerla a 0.5 for example. Even if you hate the flavour and give it a 1, then the aroma generally doesn’t warrant a 1 either. Most beers earn at least a 2 for appearance and mouthfeel unless they are truly awful.

GT
beers 10001 º places 672 º 06:57 Fri 7/6/2012

Originally posted by BelgBeerGeek
Originally posted by GT2
If people only rated the styles they liked, this website would be useless

Not really true , i think you’d get a way better look on the top beers when everybody would just rate what they like instead of also rating beers they don’t like.

I dunno if i explain myself in the right way.
But if let’s say if more people who have access to a certain beer and it’s a style they don’t like you’ll automaticcaly get a negative beer with low ratings , while it may be possible that that certain beer can actually be very good in the style it’s been made ...

and if you only rate the syles you like you’ll get a better perspective in what’s really really good , what’s mediocore or what’s bad , cause it’s not that you like a style that you like every beer in that style ....

It’s like going to a Chinese Restaurant when u actually hate Chinese food there’s no point on doing that ... same goes for beer ....

I was at a festival once were De Dolle Brouwers had a new beer , it was a blond sour ale of 5% abv , kinda lemony and green apples with a tarty taste.
I asked a couple of people i knew what they tought about it and some of them said this is not a good beer !! i even had to pour it away !
So i asked like "gosh, was it so bad that you had to pour it away ? What was wrong with it ? "

so the guy answered " i don’t know , but i just don’t like sour beers" .... so yeah what’s the point of drinking it when u don’t like sour ales.
And you don’t have to do it for that one time it can happen that you do have a good beer of a style you don’t like cause that chance will be less than you disliking most of the beers in the style you hate ...

So it’s really not that good if you go drinking 100 beers in the style you hate and only liking 1 out of them ...

Kinda understand what i mean ?

My rebuttal is simple. If you are one of those people that says "I don’t like Chinese food," then I would say "Obviously, you have never had real Chinese food."

Anyone who makes a blanket statement like that is clearly ignorant. Any food style, when done properly, is the culmination of a 1,000 years of cooking expertise based on human palates. It is physically impossible to say that "I do not like Chinese food" when Chinese food has over 1 billion flavor profiles mixed and matched. You have no idea the span of flavors proper Chinese food can have and therefore cannot know definitively whether you like it or not.

The same with beer. Every single beer style, when done correctly, can be an amazing experience. You just have to open your mind to the possibility.

HenrikO
beers 49 º places 16 º 07:04 Fri 7/6/2012

This one is easy. I have found that so far I don’t have a general dislike for a particular style; I find there are things to appreciate in every style. So I am happy to buy and try any kind of beer, even though my general bias is toward IPAs, sours and porters/stouts/imp stouts. And also, I don’t rate that much, and nor do I rate systematically (Boo! Bad RateBeerian!), so it’s not that much of an issue for me.

77ships
beers 14200 º places 919 º 07:43 Fri 7/6/2012

There is no style that I have for just being within the style guidelines except for maybe Pale Lagers / macro / ... There are styles that I prefer more, I do rate them higher but if you couldn’t rate based on taste, rating would be impossible. I do think that it is stupid to slam a sour beer just for being sour. You can find it too sour for you taste but just hate all things sour, sounds bit weird, I don’t like black liquorish but it is good in some combinations, in beers,...

JLLSU
beers 238 º places 1 º 07:55 Fri 7/6/2012

Originally posted by jerc
I rate everything... I tend not to buy styles I know I am not predisposed to like but will rate them at tastings/festivals. I used to find sours undrinkable, and now thoroughly enjoy them. I still hate the majority of smoked beers, but if I never tried any then I would have missed out on some pretty decent brews.

That said, I don’t think its fair for me to give Schlenkerla a 0.5 for example. Even if you hate the flavour and give it a 1, then the aroma generally doesn’t warrant a 1 either. Most beers earn at least a 2 for appearance and mouthfeel unless they are truly awful.

Absolutely. I had a beer last night that looked and smelled fantastic, but tasted absolutely terrible (and it was a style I typically enjoy). I have a hard time saying that "I don’t like a style of beer" after only a couple examples.

BelgBeerGeek
beers 1307 º places 38 º 08:28 Fri 7/6/2012

Originally posted by GT2
Originally posted by BelgBeerGeek
Originally posted by GT2
If people only rated the styles they liked, this website would be useless

Not really true , i think you’d get a way better look on the top beers when everybody would just rate what they like instead of also rating beers they don’t like.

I dunno if i explain myself in the right way.
But if let’s say if more people who have access to a certain beer and it’s a style they don’t like you’ll automaticcaly get a negative beer with low ratings , while it may be possible that that certain beer can actually be very good in the style it’s been made ...

and if you only rate the syles you like you’ll get a better perspective in what’s really really good , what’s mediocore or what’s bad , cause it’s not that you like a style that you like every beer in that style ....

It’s like going to a Chinese Restaurant when u actually hate Chinese food there’s no point on doing that ... same goes for beer ....

I was at a festival once were De Dolle Brouwers had a new beer , it was a blond sour ale of 5% abv , kinda lemony and green apples with a tarty taste.
I asked a couple of people i knew what they tought about it and some of them said this is not a good beer !! i even had to pour it away !
So i asked like "gosh, was it so bad that you had to pour it away ? What was wrong with it ? "

so the guy answered " i don’t know , but i just don’t like sour beers" .... so yeah what’s the point of drinking it when u don’t like sour ales.
And you don’t have to do it for that one time it can happen that you do have a good beer of a style you don’t like cause that chance will be less than you disliking most of the beers in the style you hate ...

So it’s really not that good if you go drinking 100 beers in the style you hate and only liking 1 out of them ...

Kinda understand what i mean ?

My rebuttal is simple. If you are one of those people that says "I don’t like Chinese food," then I would say "Obviously, you have never had real Chinese food."

Anyone who makes a blanket statement like that is clearly ignorant. Any food style, when done properly, is the culmination of a 1,000 years of cooking expertise based on human palates. It is physically impossible to say that "I do not like Chinese food" when Chinese food has over 1 billion flavor profiles mixed and matched. You have no idea the span of flavors proper Chinese food can have and therefore cannot know definitively whether you like it or not.

The same with beer. Every single beer style, when done correctly, can be an amazing experience. You just have to open your mind to the possibility.

What the hell is that all about ... i just made a comparison and i don’t stated that i don’t like Chinese food !! i love chinese food ! Both authentic and western cause they both have it’s own recipes that i like ...
But enough about that !

And no not every single beer style when done correctly can be amazing ...
If you don’t like the style of beer even when done perfectly correctly it can still be a showstopper or discusting beer for you/ the one that doesn’t like the beerstyle ...
Talking like you now that’s ignorant ... and sorry i’m not trying to offend you but i just state it like you did ...

My father doesn’t like Gueze/Lambic , every time i had the opportunity to let him try one he said , Yugh i don’t like this , it went from Belle Vue to Cantillon and 3 Fonteinen and he didn’t like any of them , so your philisophy about that is wrong ...

Now i could say that you’re right offcourse , but then we’d both be wrong and that’s not what i’m looking for ....

theisti
beers 5288 º places 1153 º 08:36 Fri 7/6/2012

Originally posted by SPDickerman
To be fair, this site has a lot of bias on it anyway.

I generally agree, and am curious to hear what specific bias you believe this site has a lot of. First and foremost, I think selection bias is a part (and potential flaw) of all on-line rating sites.

BelgBeerGeek
beers 1307 º places 38 º 08:36 Fri 7/6/2012

Originally posted by 77ships
There is no style that I have for just being within the style guidelines except for maybe Pale Lagers / macro / ... There are styles that I prefer more, I do rate them higher but if you couldn’t rate based on taste, rating would be impossible. I do think that it is stupid to slam a sour beer just for being sour. You can find it too sour for you taste but just hate all things sour, sounds bit weird, I don’t like black liquorish but it is good in some combinations, in beers,...

That’s true with the sour example.
Indeed if you like sour and finding too sour that’s offcourse your own taste , but this does not affect total rating for a beer ...
BUt like you said if you dislike everything sour , like that guy i know than what’s the whole point of drinking it ?
That’s true or not ? am i so wrong ?

Other examples towards people :
I don’t like to smoke cigarettes because they tate afwul to me , but every now and then i still light a cigarette to tell someone that i don’t like it ... really totally useless ....

i don’t like spicey food at all cause i hate the flavour of it , but every now and then i’ll eat a spicey dish ... common is it so hard for some people here to understand ? ( not talking about you Eugene ;-) ... )

Borresteijn
beers 11299 º places 404 º 08:39 Fri 7/6/2012

Well, if the statement about Chinese food wasn’t about you, why do you take this so personal then? Don’t get your panties all in a bunch, please. You both have a different opinion, simple as that. I don’t like sour beers in general, but there have been a few I really do like, like Goudenband, and I drink that regularly. So please stop talking for other people and let them decide for themselves, instead of implying "if you don’t like that style don’t drink it". Can’t judge them all if you haven’t had them all ;-)