Styles You Don’t Like and Ratings

Reads 2597 • Replies 36 • Started Thursday, July 5, 2012 7:09:34 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

BelgBeerGeek
beers 1307 º places 38 º 08:46 Fri 7/6/2012

Originally posted by Borresteijn
Well, if the statement about Chinese food wasn’t about you, why do you take this so personal then? Don’t get your panties all in a bunch, please. You both have a different opinion, simple as that. I don’t like sour beers in general, but there have been a few I really do like, like Goudenband, and I drink that regularly. So please stop talking for other people and let them decide for themselves, instead of implying "if you don’t like that style don’t drink it". Can’t judge them all if you haven’t had them all ;-)

I’m sorry but if you had 100 and you only like 1 the sorry you’ll probabbly don’t like the style ... anyway, not it was not about me ( chinese food ) but his reply about that was about me so i have the right to reply back don’t i ?

Borresteijn
beers 11298 º places 404 º 08:49 Fri 7/6/2012

It was about your statement/opinion, yes. Please feel free to agree to disagree. Anyone ever told you you’re a very stubborn man? ;-)

Leighton
beers 33727 º places 1204 º 09:10 Fri 7/6/2012

There are some people who almost categorically do not like certain styles and likely never will.

It does bug me to see a range of styles (especially lagers) get systematically rated lower than others. I understand the RateBeer system (hedonic) but every time I see a review for, say, a Pilsener read: "Great beer - 3.5" and then Imperial Stout: "Great beer - 4.5" I have a little chuckle.

C’est la vie. I still love RateBeer.

redlem
beers 1308 º places 77 º 09:54 Fri 7/6/2012

Originally posted by theisti
Originally posted by SPDickerman
To be fair, this site has a lot of bias on it anyway.

I generally agree, and am curious to hear what specific bias you believe this site has a lot of. First and foremost, I think selection bias is a part (and potential flaw) of all on-line rating sites.

Regional bias is the first, people are usually going to rate their local higher. Second is the "newbie" bias where all the BMC type beers are going to be rated lower because before we rate on this site we look through the ratings and see that these beers are bad and that is the newbie benchmark. This trickles down to the amber’s and brown’s. Another is the "chick" beer bias. The fruit beers, especially the cherry and raspberry flavors, will get rated lower because they are pink or the other great remark, "they just aren’t beer".

Abio
beers 1865 º places 51 º 10:13 Fri 7/6/2012

@Belgbeergeek,

Maybe I should just send a beermail, but other people can know how I think about this. Specially cause this is not the first time this comes up...

I don’t know why, but everytime this kind of threads comes up, it seems you have to take my friend and me as "an example". And everytime about that same beer... But, like I told you before: a lot of other people over there, both "beer-geeks" and non- "beer-geeks", disliked it...

They are not all on this site (some of them I personally know), they are not giving points... Maybe I shouldn’t neither, but hey, I decide I do, cause taste is something personal. I’ll post my rating, and if someone gets upset about it, to bad. I’ll never got upset about someone else ratings, and never will...

You say that "We don’t like sours", but that is just what you make from it.
We don’t like sours that aren’t moderated, that seems to ruin all other things inside the beer with the overwhelming citrus. "Extremes" to give it a name. Do we think all sours are bad? No... Do I start whining at others because they don’t like imperials, and still rate? Neither...

Sometimes you are acting like I’m looking especially to buy them to give bad points. I’ve rated 22 sours..

We did rate other sours (but with a, in my opinion, wider taste-pallet, with a "normal" amount of "sourness") higher, and we do rate beers, not styles.

I shouldn’t even categorize all beers into different styles if RB was my site, but that is just my tought. Ofcourse I won’t say it is bad this way, and a lot of people loves it this way.

I know some raters rate by style..., that is how they do it... I won’t. But I also won’t say they are doing it wrong, telling them they have to rate it my way. The method they use is not better or worse then mine, it is just different.

I just deal with it people have different tastes, and rate in different ways (that’s what this site is all about I tought, not just rating beers (or styles) that you like).

To come back to your Chinese food... I didn’t like Chinese food till some years ago, I learned to appreciate it, but still, some things (still chines food) are just bad in my opinion. You like very sour, I like a bit of more moderated sourness, and those are also integrated in the "sour-style"...

You called yourself in your mails about this matter "objective", well, in my opinion "objective" is when you first try something, and not judge it before tasting because "it’s not my style"... Weird thing is, that is exactly what you say in your profile...

I’m rating "beers" as a hobbby, I’m not rating "Stouts and Quads" as a hobby. Sour is beer. And some are better then others in my opinion, just like in yours. Don’t get upset if someone pours a beer into the drain. I’m not finishing a beer I dislike, don’t matter what it costs... Filling my stomach just cause it costs money is stupid in my opinion. But ofcourse, if there is people around (like when I’m at Kulminator), I just give the rest away to other people.

And it’s not because someones opinion is not like yours that they are wrong... Don’t take this all to serious. Maybe in some time I start loving sours, and you will love my scores for them... Next time @Kulminator we drink something together we both like, and rate it objective :)

rane
beers 1325 º places 5 º 10:29 Fri 7/6/2012

Originally posted by theisti
Originally posted by SPDickerman
To be fair, this site has a lot of bias on it anyway.

I generally agree, and am curious to hear what specific bias you believe this site has a lot of. First and foremost, I think selection bias is a part (and potential flaw) of all on-line rating sites.

There´s lots of bias. Positive for lambics, IIPAs and IPAs, and Imperial stouts. And lots of positive bias for anything thats heavily hopped. Negative for low alcohol styles and german styles in general, especially when wheat is involved.

BelgBeerGeek
beers 1307 º places 38 º 11:48 Fri 7/6/2012

Originally posted by Borresteijn
It was about your statement/opinion, yes. Please feel free to agree to disagree. Anyone ever told you you’re a very stubborn man? ;-)

Yes ....

Drjohnrock
beers 1292 º places 67 º 13:53 Fri 7/6/2012

I only styles I tend to totally dismiss are malt liquor and low alcohol, and I don’t really consider the latter to even be a beer style. And I very seldom see a need to rate macro stuff like Budweiser that’s available everywhere--even if I didn’t hate it, my rating it wouldn’t add anything to the site. I mean, is there anyone that’s consumed beer to any significant extent that hasn’t had Bud?

With respect to styles I don’t think are all that exciting, such as hefeweizen, I tend to drink and rate them when they are part of brewpub sampler sets, or variety 12 packs.

Originally posted by HenrikO
This one is easy. I have found that so far I don’t have a general dislike for a particular style; I find there are things to appreciate in every style. So I am happy to buy and try any kind of beer, even though my general bias is toward IPAs, sours and porters/stouts/imp stouts. And also, I don’t rate that much, and nor do I rate systematically (Boo! Bad RateBeerian!), so it’s not that much of an issue for me.
I feel the same way, besides not being a huge IPA guy (I still like them, but not at the level of some here). I can’t say there isn’t a style I don’t like, but more than anything I find times where I am not in the mood for a certain style, but am presented with said style of beer at a tasting/with a flight/etc.

When I do not intend originally to have "temporarily not desired" beer, I try to rate in an unbiased manner, but that is difficult when you have your heart said on something else. I sound spoiled.

GT
beers 10001 º places 672 º 14:17 Fri 7/6/2012

My response was not directed towards anyone. In English, "you" is ambiguous.