Success in IPA’s

Reads 5438 • Replies 48 • Started Sunday, February 2, 2014 10:17:33 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

bitbucket
beers 2166 º places 63 º 20:00 Tue 2/4/2014

Talking American IPAs only here:

1. Fresh ingredients, especially fresh Yakima hops.
2. Simple grain bill, including some Crystal/Caramel
3. Proper water. No Burton Salts, just a bit of gypsum.

For a successful IPA you need to leverage all enjoyable aspects of the hops: bittering, taste and aroma. And for successful brewing in general you need a good, controlled, repeatable brewing process.

bitbucket
beers 2166 º places 63 º 20:10 Tue 2/4/2014

Originally posted by erway
Originally posted by pellegjr
Why not start with one of the most contentious styles?

For reference, this is the first post of the idea profiled here http://www.ratebeer.com/forums/success-in-series-idea_253193.htm
Success in IPA’s:

1. Simple grain bill
2. Up to 10% sucrose
3. High quantity additions of aroma hops at flameout and secondary

Sucrose no es bueno. Doesn’t ferment very well at all. Dextrose is a much better choice.

You can get away with almost anything in limited quantity, and there has been at least one AHA national champ IPA that used table sugar, the one in 2011. BUT... 10% seems too high. I’d use 5% at most, and really, why bother?

Cletus
beers 6349 º places 233 º 20:33 Tue 2/4/2014

1. No caramel hops
2. FWH is vital
3. Dry hopping is vital

No more crazy IBU syruppy IPAs.

drowland
beers 11069 º places 430 º 21:47 Tue 2/4/2014

If for no other reason than Sam and erway chime in on these threads then we need to keep them going!

Also hoping NobleSquirrel, FlacoAlto, etc. also start chiming in.

HornyDevil
03:37 Wed 2/5/2014

Not sure why people want to mess with the yeast strain in these beers so much. I understand people’s want to "innovate", but you’ve already got something that works and works WELL, why not stick with it? If you want variety in your hoppy beers, use different hops, not different yeast.

pellegjr
beers 396 º places 16 º 12:24 Wed 2/5/2014

Originally posted by drowland
If for no other reason than Sam and erway chime in on these threads then we need to keep them going!

Also hoping NobleSquirrel, FlacoAlto, etc. also start chiming in.

Already got the second one on deck, next week.

pellegjr
beers 396 º places 16 º 14:04 Wed 2/5/2014

Originally posted by HornyDevil
Not sure why people want to mess with the yeast strain in these beers so much. I understand people’s want to "innovate", but you’ve already got something that works and works WELL, why not stick with it? If you want variety in your hoppy beers, use different hops, not different yeast.

So can we take this to mean that you believe yeast character should be mostly subdued in IPA’s?

HornyDevil
15:42 Wed 2/5/2014

Originally posted by pellegjr

So can we take this to mean that you believe yeast character should be mostly subdued in IPA’s?

Absolutely.

acodell
places 6 º 17:06 Wed 2/5/2014

I love a little crystal malt with cascade hops.

bitbucket
beers 2166 º places 63 º 17:48 Wed 2/5/2014

Different yeast can make it taste like you have used different hops. Or at least that has been my experience.

I recently brewed three different side-by-side APAs with the only difference being the yeast. They were arguably under-hopped IPAs or over-hopped APAs. The first two were reasonably similar, but there was a noticeable difference in the hop taste and aroma between them.

On the third, people doubted that I started with the same wort. They thought I had brewed and entirely different beer, just to mess with them. Actually, I had messed with them by using the special ’Red Star’ version of saccharomyces cerevisiae, the one formulated specially for bread machines. Part of the difference might have been the pitching rate, because I dumped an entire packet of bread yeast into a growler of wort (the other two were in regular carboys), but a lot of the hop character had been driven off. It had been replaced by a spicy, almost ’Belgian’ quality.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer