Tired Hands - Blinded by the Light that Spills

Reads 4764 • Replies 72 • Started Tuesday, March 19, 2013 9:54:40 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

GT
beers 10001 º places 672 º 08:13 Wed 3/20/2013

Originally posted by hopscotch
it’s still just a pale ale. It’s a thirst-quencher, not a work of art.

Short answer, it is ridiculous to call one artist’s artwork to not be a "work of art" because you don’t like it.

Some architects despise deconstructivist architecture because it wastes space and has many unusable areas- essentially complicated for no good reason.

Similarly, a decontructivist may deem utilitarian design to be drab, dull, depressing.

The art of the beer in question is precisely that it is simple, usable, and unassuming despite perhaps the over the top name. It is a reaction to the trend of doing something like Stone Bourbon Oaked Double Bastard, which is unusable as a beer in the truest sense. You can’t sit back and gulp it down. You have to sit there and shiver with the harsh IBUs and aggressive tannic malt body. And then say, well that was so intense, it must be good.

In the same fashion, here we are drinking a beer so simple, that it cannot possibly be considered wonderful.

daknole
beers 11050 º places 464 º 08:14 Wed 3/20/2013

Nice trolling effort Eric. Weak sauce.

MaxxDaddy
beers 415 º places 32 º 08:50 Wed 3/20/2013

Originally posted by daknole

This is so rich, it hurts.

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 08:52 Wed 3/20/2013

..Is Eric, the guy that overrates EVERYTHING, starting a WBW thread about other people possibly overrating a beer and not agreeing with his opinion on it?

Come’on, Eric. It’s just beer.

EDIT: It certainly isn’t hurting you that other people really like this beer, is it?

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 09:47 Wed 3/20/2013

Originally posted by joet
Originally posted by hopscotch
it’s still just a pale ale. It’s a thirst-quencher, not a work of art.

I think that’s the beauty of a lot of these non-huge, sometimes even small beers.

There aren’t domineering flavors. You can see interplay. You can see obvious elements, usually aromatic, that in big beers are completely overshadowed by more common components.

And if you aren’t drinking them fresh, and they are not soured, you’re probably missing it. Get your butt up there!

I would like to. I dig bigger beers and sour beers and I’ve enjoyed pretty much every beer I’ve tried from Tired Hands. It’s not that many:
1. Mysterious Mood
2. HandFarm (yum)
3. Singel Hop Saison, Simcoe (well crafted, but I don’t really like Belgian IPAs or anything that is reminiscent of one)
4. The Light That Spills Out Of The Hole In Your Head (like, not love, but I don’t really dig pale ales all that much)
5. LiddleFiddle (tasty)
Six, Seven & Eight - A few that I rated using a voice recorder at RBWGJAX2013. I won’t know what they are until I stumble across them. GT brought ’em. Thanks GT.

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 09:55 Wed 3/20/2013

Originally posted by TheAlum
..Is Eric, the guy that overrates EVERYTHING, starting a WBW thread about other people possibly overrating a beer and not agreeing with his opinion on it?

Come’on, Eric. It’s just beer.

EDIT: It certainly isn’t hurting you that other people really like this beer, is it?

C’mon Adam, you know me (albeit entirely from the best, longest running, and least known-about thread on ratebeer) plus stats, baby stats:

hopscotch: 8121 beer ratings · 196 place ratings

Avg Score Given: 3.41 · Avg Beer Rated: 3.4

· Favorite style: Scotch Ale

Tired Hands simply needs to brew up a Scotch ale as good as Alesmith Wee Heavy. Then someone needs to contact me to let me know about it and then it’s trade, baby, trade!

Wait, I thought it was Dakine who rated everything artificially high? Hmmm....

daknole
beers 11050 º places 464 º 10:03 Wed 3/20/2013

Yeah but I don’t start trolling threads ragging on people’s ratings for beers, now do I? Didn’t think so. Next please.

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 10:13 Wed 3/20/2013

Originally posted by daknole

Of course it’s weak sauce, Dak. I’m normally the guy who questions threads like this. I’m the one who asks "Why don’t you just rate the freaking beer and move on. Why the hate thread?" Nope, I try to shut these down... and I’ve been pretty effective on several occasions.

I wanted to try something new. I’m always Mr. Nice Guy. I wanted to be the asshole for a change. See what it feels like. Mission accomplished. One more item off my bucket list.

Still, everybody, get back to me on down the road. If there are further releases of this beer and enough ratings are entered, it’s average will be no higher than a 3.7 a year from now... a 3.6 two years from now. Jot that down.

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 10:19 Wed 3/20/2013

Originally posted by FrumptyDumpty
Yeah man fuck blonde ales and pale ales. If it isn’t sour/imperial/barrel aged then no way should it ever be rated over a 3.5!!!!!

Talk about weak sauce. This is your knee jerk reply to anyone who questions the greatness of pretty much any saison. Your reply is trite, outdated and stale. Think of something new with which to reply.

... and the only reason I ask that you trim your man mane is I’m always concerned about finding a long nappy hair in a bottle from Grassroots... which I do seek out, btw. Thank you and you’re welcome.

FrumptyDumpty
10:37 Wed 3/20/2013

Please post everytime i have posted that reply since you say that is my knee jerk reply. I also didn’t mention saison at all in that post I just find threads like these so stupid. Why start a thread because you don’t agree with what other people rate a beer? Should we all start a thread everytime we don’t agree with others ratinds?