Web site login issues

Reads 9012 • Replies 147 • Started Saturday, July 15, 2017 2:30:08 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Inbreak
beers 9957 º 11:31 Mon 8/7/2017

Now, who is the boss....you, or the so-called "minority share".......

Inbreak
beers 9957 º 11:36 Mon 8/7/2017

How many programmers does it take to make Ratebeer great again.....

adamnowek
beers 7153 º places 117 º 14:38 Mon 8/7/2017

Originally posted by Inbreak

More than what they have now, that’s for sure.

DutchDrebus
beers 6996 º places 47 º 14:43 Mon 8/7/2017

Originally posted by joet
I’m definitely not ditching the site. Ha ha! Stop with the crazy pills.

I should explain that our former process involving one or two programmers was optimized for speed and allowed us to turn around many code changes daily.

With a larger team, we utilize a more formal development structure that targets code releases every 10 days. This means we all need to be more patient about seeing changes. I am feeling this pain as much as anyone else.

Would the fix take up to 10 days if suddenly all banners weren’t displayed anymore?

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 14:47 Mon 8/7/2017

More info on how to clear cookies for a single site in Chrome

https://superuser.com/questions/548096/how-can-i-clear-cookies-for-a-single-site

jcr
beers 3469 º places 17 º 16:08 Mon 8/7/2017

I’ve cleared Ratebeer cookies in both FF (54.0.1) and Chrome (57.0.2) on my Mac. Still have to log in or confirm my email address every time I go to RB. Also still getting kicked off after 20 minutes or so. Started happening when I renewed my premium membership three weeks ago.

FatPhil
beers 26266 º places 998 º 16:51 Mon 8/7/2017

Confirming your email address involves nothing but clicking on it.
This does not prove you are in posession of any secret knowledge (in the same way a password does), and therefore has *NO SECURITY WHATSOEVER*. As soon as you, or whoever follows you on the library computer, click on that email address, RB will log you, or her, in. In which case, there was no point in being "logged out" in the first place. RB’s just dicking with you. *Worse* - the fact that the corner of the page says "Login", the implication is that you’re actually properly logged out, session cookies etc. blanked at either end, or preferably deleted, and you can walk away from the computer with no risk of impersonation. But as clicking on it proves, you actually aren’t properly logged out - it still knows who you are/were, and how to reactivate your session. This is *terrible* security engineering.

malvrich
beers 931 º places 5 º 18:37 Mon 8/7/2017

Originally posted by FatPhil
Confirming your email address involves nothing but clicking on it.
This does not prove you are in posession of any secret knowledge (in the same way a password does), and therefore has *NO SECURITY WHATSOEVER*. As soon as you, or whoever follows you on the library computer, click on that email address, RB will log you, or her, in. In which case, there was no point in being "logged out" in the first place. RB’s just dicking with you. *Worse* - the fact that the corner of the page says "Login", the implication is that you’re actually properly logged out, session cookies etc. blanked at either end, or preferably deleted, and you can walk away from the computer with no risk of impersonation. But as clicking on it proves, you actually aren’t properly logged out - it still knows who you are/were, and how to reactivate your session. This is *terrible* security engineering.

Happened to me again just as I was reading thru the thread. As an IT admin also, before long I just sucked it up, as I’m quite used to periodic implementation of some totally asinine (in)security measure.

LazyPyro
beers 8221 º places 63 º 23:52 Mon 8/7/2017

Originally posted by joet
More info on how to clear cookies for a single site in Chrome

https://superuser.com/questions/548096/how-can-i-clear-cookies-for-a-single-site

Most people already know how to do this, and it doesn’t matter anyway because it doesn’t do anything to fix the issue we’re all having.

Marduk
beers 22023 º places 969 º 01:01 Tue 8/8/2017

Originally posted by Inbreak

None, everything is already great (if your head is buried in the sand).