Yeungling ties Boston Beer Co as top US brewer

Reads 4766 • Replies 48 • Started Friday, February 24, 2012 10:24:27 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 22:24 Fri 2/24/2012

originally from CNBC
--
The brewer of Sam Adams is no longer king of American-owned beers. The Boston Beer Co. (NYSE: SAM) was toppled this week from its position as the largest American-owned brewery.
Now, they’re tied.

According to a report on CNBC.com, Boston Beer is tied with Pottsville, Penn.-based D.G. Yuengling & Son as the largest American-owned brewer. Both companies last year shipped about 2.5 million barrels.

More here:
http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/news/2012/02/24/boston-beer-no-longer-king-of-american.html

billk
beers 353 º places 60 º 23:42 Fri 2/24/2012

If Yuengling was named Jones instead it wouldn’t be worth a mouse’s ass. It’s all fad, mystique, and icon.
At least Noble Pils was good when I had it last year.

javit
00:09 Sat 2/25/2012

Haters gonna hate.

billk
beers 353 º places 60 º 01:40 Sat 2/25/2012

Originally posted by javit
Haters gonna hate.

Oh Christ...
Montana! Did you ever have Yuengling?

coldbrewky
beers 1731 º places 82 º 03:44 Sat 2/25/2012

Originally posted by billk
Originally posted by javit
Haters gonna hate.

Oh Christ...
Montana! Did you ever have Yuengling?

You havent rated anything from their brewery........

AdamChandler
beers 6124 º places 278 º 04:49 Sat 2/25/2012

This is very surprising. When you think about Sam Adams and their variety and distribution, it’s remarkable with I think 4 beers and not much distro beyond the MIssissippi river that they’ve managed this.

JMerritt
places 72 º 04:59 Sat 2/25/2012

This is incredibly surprising to me. I didn’t realize the Yeungling hype machine was this strong.

reggiedunlop
beers 3729 º places 182 º 05:08 Sat 2/25/2012

And they didnt even make their variety packs over the holiday this past year! Its not that shocking to me though. I live in PA and work in a beer store (according to that benedict guy that makes me unintelligent and untalented so take this with a grain of salt) and for every Sam Adams case we sell, we sell an easy 10-15 Yuengling cases and those are conservative numbers. I can imagine many local beer stores, even outside of Yuengling’s distro area doing something similar with their local/regional beer. And then theres pricing (which will be different everywhere of course.) Yueng cases are $18 for cans and $21.50 for bottles while Sam stuff is at least $35. And Sam 1/2 kegs cost roughly $50 more than Yuengling.

Yuengling is a decent enough lager for what it is and their porter and chesterfield are actually pretty good. None of Yuengling’s lineup really compares in quality to Sam’s stuff but its also better than your average american macro lager by a lot. And while I definitely prefer a noble pils, latitude IPA, or boston lager...I wont turn down a Yuengling product as I would a coors lt.

FT: Yueng! Haha...give it a try if you come across it. Cheers!

CharmCityCrab
beers 244 º 08:59 Sat 2/25/2012

Yuengling Bock is the one to try if you can get your hands on it. It’s just a seasonal and I think has a more limited release area than their regular beers, but, perhaps because I just have one or two six packs of it a year, I really look forward to it. It’s not nectar of the gods type stuff or anything, but it’s cheaper than craft beers and honestly tastes better to me than a lot of craft bocks I’ve had (Plus the label has a goat drinking beer out of a champagne glass on it-- a goat drinking beer out of a champagne glass!).

Anyhow, to more directly address point, and maybe beat a little bit of a dead horse, Yuengling outsells Sam Adams so dramatically in Yuengling’s regional footprint for one main reason:

PRICE

A lot of people are spending in the BMC range and want something with a different taste to it- either as their go-to beer, or as a change of pace beer they throw a 6-pack of into their cart. Yuengling provides that without an extra hit to the check book.

I think craft beer is missing the boat by not playing in that market. Make a Sam Adams Boston Lager type beer and price it like Budweiser, market and distribute it aggressively, and it’d do more volume than the current craft beers combined.

CharmCityCrab
beers 244 º 09:04 Sat 2/25/2012

The Yuengling lager isn’t really better than Bud, Miller, and Coors, it’s just different. When the market at a given price point is saturated by one type of beer, there’s a huge potential market for an alternative or a change of pace beer at that price point.

Imagine what a better beer at that same price point could do. One with actual hops.

reggiedunlop
beers 3729 º places 182 º 09:44 Sat 2/25/2012

Originally posted by CharmCityCrab
Imagine what a better beer at that same price point could do. One with actual hops.

Lord chesterfield slightly fits this bill.