Any interest in a bourbon & beer tasting?

Reads 6563 • Replies 108 • Started Friday, November 25, 2011 10:42:18 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

asatterlund
beers 1 º 10:42 Fri 11/25/2011

I’m not sure if any of you guys are bourbon people, but I absolutely love it. I’d totally be up for hosting a beer & bourbon night some time (Dec 17th, or maybe in early/mid January). I’m thinking, a few of us arrange to bring a bottle of bourbon to share (avoiding duplicates), and we start the night by trying maybe 4-6 different bourbons (and ryes, if brought). Half-ounce pours should be plenty. Everyone else brings some beer - not a ton, since the bourbon should get everyone going pretty quickly.

Then we finish up the night with beer.

Anyone interested?

asatterlund
beers 1 º 10:46 Fri 11/25/2011

Edit to prior post (I wish we could edit our posts...) - half pours, not half ounce. :) Or, full pours.. but when I did a tasting of 3 bourbons in Louisville this summer, half pours were more than enough. 20ml, shy of an ounce, or in that neighborhood.

Mmmm, bourbon....

beastiefan2k
beers 5012 º places 294 º 11:05 Fri 11/25/2011

if time worked out I would be interested. I know nothing about bourbon or rye but would be willing to pick up something just to share. I bet I could get something interesting while in STL at Wine and Cheese.

Maybe a bourbon and bourbon-aged beer tasting?

JohnF
13:17 Fri 11/25/2011

Good idea, keep the bourbon theme. It would be neat if we could put together a few beers with the same bourbon as the barrel that was used. 20 ml is like a tablespoon plus a teaspoon so I guess a little over half a fluid ounce. I thought you said 20 cl there for a minute. That would be a quick tasting.

asatterlund
beers 1 º 13:54 Fri 11/25/2011

Yeah, I like the continuation of the bourbon theme. Any preference between the following dates?

Dec 17th or 18th
Jan 7th or 8th
Jan 14th or 15th

Here’s some stuff in the meantime.
Intro to bourbon: http://www.straightbourbon.com/faq.html

Tasting notes on some common ones: http://www.straightbourbon.com/tasting/tasting0002.html

Bourbon, rye, whiskey: http://bardstownwhiskeysociety.com/american-whiskeys/

single barrel, small batch:
http://www.straightbourbon.com/articles/mwsbb.html

Here’s a good page for sorting by type (bourbon), price range, etc. good overviews of bourbons, many of which you can find in KC. http://www.whiskyadvocate.com/whisky_reviews.asp

bourbon subreddit: reddit.com/r/bourbon

bourbon reviews & forums - www.bourbonenthusiast.com

Gregis
beers 1281 º places 24 º 15:00 Fri 11/25/2011

Amy, it’s an interesting coincidence that you are suggesting a bourbon tasting the same week that I’ve been drinking more bourbon than beer and have been reading reviews (at tastings.com, et al.) and scouting several stores for what they carry. I would definitely be "in". I have some Pappy Van Winkle’s Family Reserve 20 Year that I’d be happy to share, if we’re doing small pours (as I only have about half a bottle left). I also have some Buffalo Trace if you are wanting to include any solid, reasonably-priced examples. There are plenty of locally-available "solid", small batch and single barrel bourbons and ryes in the $20-45 range (for a fifth).

Indra
beers 2711 º places 78 º 15:50 Fri 11/25/2011

Definitely interested in this.

I’d be more inclined to be one of the folks that brings beer, though, since I really have not tried any decent bourbons before (hence my curiosity and desire to attend).

HomeBrewHawk
beers 464 º places 22 º 16:01 Fri 11/25/2011

I’d be interested. I’m working the 17th and 18th though.

asatterlund
beers 1 º 19:33 Fri 11/25/2011

Greg - I’ve been on the hunt for Pappy 20. Remind me to tell you my Jockey Silks story :) That would be awfully generous of you; don’t feel obligated to bring it, honestly.

I’d like to focus on stuff we can get in KC, both affordable stuff (like Eagle Rare) as well as some more high-end stuff (like Parker’s Reserve) but you won’t see me turn down some Pappy :)

I think the weekend in Dec might just be too close to Christmas. Let’s plan on Jan 8th - any objections? Would the next Sat be better?

For anyone who wants to bring bourbon, let me know so I can make sure we don’t have duplicates. If you want to bring bourbon but don’t know what to bring, let me know and I’ll try to make suggestions. And please, RSVP so I know how many people to account for.

Looking forward to it - this should be fun :)

csbosox
beers 1229 º places 13 º 19:36 Fri 11/25/2011

I would be interested in this too. I have a special barrel of Buffalo Trace from Gomers. I have a tiny bit of Templeton Rye too.

Gregis
beers 1281 º places 24 º 22:09 Fri 11/25/2011

A Sunday tasting would probably be tough for me to do, but I’d be open to any of those Saturdays. Also, Amy, I’ll be more than happy to bring the Pappy. Who better to share it with than friends that have developed their palates through years of self-sacrifice and tireless dedication to the grueling process of finding, sampling and sharing well-crafted adult beverages? ;)