Belma Hops

Reads 5947 • Replies 37 • Started Saturday, November 10, 2012 4:08:30 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

oteyj
beers 2138 º places 14 º 20:29 Mon 2/25/2013

I just brewed a single hop IPA with them. Very unimpressed. Kind of like a cross between cascade and amarillo with half the intensity...

HornyDevil
04:06 Tue 2/26/2013

Originally posted by oteyj
I just brewed a single hop IPA with them. Very unimpressed. Kind of like a cross between cascade and amarillo with half the intensity...

I think that this is the key to understanding how to use this hop. It is pretty subtle.

rudolf
beers 2359 º places 104 º 05:16 Tue 2/26/2013

Our IPA is crashing right now. I added about 18oz for the dry hop (1.5bbl batch) and that really seems to have brought up the hop character. I’m excited to see how it tastes once carbonated!

-rudy

drewbeerme
beers 3921 º places 1 º 08:53 Tue 2/26/2013

So is the low price on these more of an introductory offer? Get people to start using them and then the price will rise to something more normal? I’m not sure if this is a common practice with new hop breeds or not.

JulienHuxley
beers 6219 º places 450 º 16:35 Tue 2/26/2013

Originally posted by drewbeerme
So is the low price on these more of an introductory offer? Get people to start using them and then the price will rise to something more normal? I’m not sure if this is a common practice with new hop breeds or not.

My take is it was to get rid of a lot of poor quality hops (see my posts about having about 3 oz of branches in a 16 oz bag) that didn’t have a reputation yet (they wouldn’t have had to do this with Amarillo) It’s not a bad hop, I’ll need confirmation on quality though before I buy them again.

drewbeerme
beers 3921 º places 1 º 17:16 Tue 2/26/2013

Originally posted by JulienHuxley
Originally posted by drewbeerme

My take is it was to get rid of a lot of poor quality hops (see my posts about having about 3 oz of branches in a 16 oz bag) that didn’t have a reputation yet (they wouldn’t have had to do this with Amarillo) It’s not a bad hop, I’ll need confirmation on quality though before I buy them again.

But pellets were the same price.

JulienHuxley
beers 6219 º places 450 º 17:56 Tue 2/26/2013

Can they pellet branches?

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer