I’m down to my last 50 bottles of Orval, everybody panic!!!

Reads 5599 • Replies 70 • Started Tuesday, July 21, 2015 4:35:20 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

574deadzone
beers 1420 º places 11 º 06:24 Wed 7/22/2015

I wish I could get Orval that cheap. Maybe they can open a second brewery in the Midwest, like Brew Dog. Don’t know what our nun population is, but we have lots of Amish!

SamGamgee
beers 2452 º places 182 º 10:18 Wed 7/22/2015

Heard a rumor from some respected brewers that things have changed recently under the new brewmaster and the beer is being made differently and that they don’t like it nearly as much. One Belgian brewer was said to be going around and trying to buy up all the stock of Orvals from before a certain date when supposed change happened. I’ll try and dig for more info. I had a 3-4 month old bottle in Paris a few weeks ago and enjoyed it as a fresh example, so maybe the change has to do with the Brett.

Also, Orval wasn’t filtered when I toured the plant several years ago. They were running a centrifuge to take out the primary yeast but no filter.

ClarkVV
beers 13542 º places 112 º 10:34 Wed 7/22/2015

By filtered I was not meaning a literal "beer is run through a filter" but more of, beer is adulterated in some way, but I should have been more specific.

It is lame that places that heavily fine or centrifuge their beer are still making "Unfiltered" beer. I havent noticed too many ill-effects from light fining, but centrifuging is pulling out more than just heavy yeast particles, I’d imagine. And it’s additional pumping of the beer that speeds up oxidation.

SamGamgee
beers 2452 º places 182 º 00:56 Thu 7/23/2015

Could speed up oxidation in a significant way, but I would say that if other factors (mainly packaging) are so good that pumping during clarification leads to noticeable degradation in flavor stability, then you are already doing better than almost every other beer out there and it’s nothing to worry about. Dupont also centrifuges all of their beers FWIW. If done properly (like any brewing process) I see no negative effects.

77ships
beers 14200 º places 937 º 03:54 Thu 7/23/2015

There has been a rumor that Orval has changed & gone down in quality every few months for the last couple of years.

FatPhil
beers 26312 º places 998 º 04:36 Thu 7/23/2015

Originally posted by 574deadzone
I wish I could get Orval that cheap. Maybe they can open a second brewery in the Midwest, like Brew Dog. Don’t know what our nun population is, but we have lots of Amish!

ISO Amish Pale Ale - new style!

Gary
beers 2114 º places 4 º 06:16 Thu 7/23/2015

Gary
beers 2114 º places 4 º 06:18 Thu 7/23/2015

Originally posted by 77ships
There has been a rumor that Orval has changed & gone down in quality every few months for the last couple of years.
the new brewmaster is a nun vegan . Do your own Math

Gary
beers 2114 º places 4 º 06:38 Fri 7/24/2015

Orval is dead .

Gary
beers 2114 º places 4 º 06:47 Fri 7/24/2015

Orval is a variable beer and I have championed it for years as world class on these forums but I am sorry to say every bottle I age these days is either just decent , mediocre or straight up soulless garbage . Its sad but true . Things have changed since they got a new brewmaster .

PS. thanks for destroying my favourite beer.