New In January

Reads 3663 • Replies 50 • Started Thursday, January 5, 2012 2:48:49 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

beastiefan2k
beers 5012 º places 294 º 11:08 Thu 1/19/2012

Originally posted by JohnF
Did you see the BYO or Zymurgy article on ice cider? Pretty clever technique. The problem around here is juice. The orchards that juice are doing exclusively or almost exclusively dessert apples.

Is there a link to that article (I doubt it). Is it the technique were you freeze it in a plastic carboy and flip it upside down (Bill told me about that)?

I am making a bootleg ice cider. Its finally cold enough to do so. Planning on one of the upcoming weekends.

csbosox
beers 1229 º places 13 º 17:06 Thu 1/19/2012

$32.99 on the ice cider and I just bought a sixer of NB Dig, pretty OK stuff.

JohnF
17:16 Thu 1/19/2012

Originally posted by beastiefan2k
Did you see the BYO or Zymurgy article on ice cider? Pretty clever technique. The problem around here is juice. The orchards that juice are doing exclusively or almost exclusively dessert apples.

Is there a link to that article (I doubt it). Is it the technique were you freeze it in a plastic carboy and flip it upside down (Bill told me about that)?

I am making a bootleg ice cider. Its finally cold enough to do so. Planning on one of the upcoming weekends.

Yes, apparently that is effectively how most of it is made. I had thought for a long time that it was more similar to ice grape wines (fruit left on plant until frost).

HomeBrewHawk
beers 464 º places 22 º 18:46 Thu 1/19/2012

Gomers South has Nebraska Apricot au Poivre Saison

HomeBrewHawk
beers 464 º places 22 º 12:55 Sat 1/21/2012

Barley’s on 119th said they have 12 bottles of King Henry on their Facebook page. No word on price.

beastiefan2k
beers 5012 º places 294 º 13:56 Sat 1/21/2012

Yes, apparently that is effectively how most of it is made. I had thought for a long time that it was more similar to ice grape wines (fruit left on plant until frost).

From my understanding there are 2 ways to make it and the best producers from Montreal only make it the frosted-fruit method and look down upon the icing after pressing method.

Of course, I don’t have, much of a choice.

marnet
09:11 Sun 1/22/2012

Originally posted by HomeBrewHawk
Barley’s on 119th said they have 12 bottles of King Henry on their Facebook page. No word on price.

I had one last night and they are charging $20. Not bad at all, pretty much retail in states that got bottles for retail sale.

beastiefan2k
beers 5012 º places 294 º 13:27 Sun 1/22/2012

Free State has Eagle’s Nest IPA and Mighty Oak Brown.

The Quad, Iron Man, and Old Backus from March is back.

hwwty4
beers 1 º places 1 º 14:19 Sun 1/22/2012

Originally posted by beastiefan2k

From my understanding there are 2 ways to make it and the best producers from Montreal only make it the frosted-fruit method and look down upon the icing after pressing method.

Of course, I don’t have, much of a choice.

All this talk of ciders got me in the mood to make some. I went to bachus and was talking with the guys behind the counter about making iced ciders and the recommend using a salad spinner. Let it get to a snow cone like concistancy then parley the ice particles in the spinner and it’ll sperate the concentrate from the ice crystals. I might give it a whirl if I can find a salad spinner.

JohnF
15:32 Sun 1/22/2012

On the finished cider? How do you not oxidize it? If you freeze beer in a keg (slowly, check often) until it is slushy, you can rack over to another keg and leave almost all of the ice behind.