Random beers tonight!

Reads 5803 • Replies 209 • Started Friday, June 7, 2013 12:31:13 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

harrisoni
beers 25356 º places 68 º 09:40 Sat 8/17/2013

Great, then please keep me company Colin as I try to get through another 10 beers.

BlackHaddock
beers 15453 º places 1053 º 09:48 Sat 8/17/2013

Hello Colin and Ian,

Margie is out with friends tonight: can I stay in with you two?

We’ve been to a mini beer festival this afternoon: seven halves of new beers for me, a coffee for her!

I’ve got some ’random’ stuff to drink once she has gone for her ’ladies meal’ with old school friends.

Starting with a Tui Blond Lager from New Zealand.

Second up a slightly out of date Pyramid Hefeweizen from the US of A.

<*))))))><

harrisoni
beers 25356 º places 68 º 09:54 Sat 8/17/2013

Hey, good evening Jeremy, welcome.
I seem to remember having my first Pyramid beer on a train from Vancouver to Seattle from the buffet as we weren’t allowed to drink the beers we’d packed in the luggage from Canada. Honestly the laws in North America on alcohol are positively draconian. Been on a train from Germany through the Netherlands, into Belgium and France and then into the UK and never had any such problems.

Theydon_Bois
admin
beers 40515 º places 1239 º 09:54 Sat 8/17/2013

I’ll be starting in an hour or so after 7pm.

Catch you then !

harrisoni
beers 25356 º places 68 º 09:54 Sat 8/17/2013

What beers did you have this afternoon Jeremy and were they any good?

BlackHaddock
beers 15453 º places 1053 º 10:14 Sat 8/17/2013

Originally posted by harrisoni
What beers did you have this afternoon Jeremy and were they any good?

Small village (Hodnet) has a Sports and Social Club: today was their first ever ’beer festival’. Think they over ordered but hopefully the locals and others will come out in support tonight.

10 x Firkins, 1 x 4.5 gallons and three polly pins of apple juice.

My little selection:

Plain Brewery ‘Innsperation’
Newark ‘Summer Gold’
Holdens ’Gandhi’s Flip Flop’
Blue Monkey ‘BG Sips’
Abbeydale ‘Deception’
Welbeck Abbey ‘ Cavendish Blonde’
Nottingham ‘Navigation American IPA’

All gravity poured and in good nick: the last beer being the pick of the bunch.

Didn’t have the following: all good beers but you can’t have them all, well, not when the wife is ’duty driver’!

Holdens ‘Black Country Mild’
Purple Moose ‘Glaslyn Ale’
Joules ’Merry Monk’
Sarah Hughes ‘Dark Ruby’

<*))))))><

Theydon_Bois
admin
beers 40515 º places 1239 º 10:20 Sat 8/17/2013

Originally posted by harrisoni
Hey, good evening Jeremy, welcome.
I seem to remember having my first Pyramid beer on a train from Vancouver to Seattle from the buffet as we weren’t allowed to drink the beers we’d packed in the luggage from Canada. Honestly the laws in North America on alcohol are positively draconian. Been on a train from Germany through the Netherlands, into Belgium and France and then into the UK and never had any such problems.

I’ve drank and rated plenty of beers on AMTRAK.
Not permitted of course (unless you have a private compartment) but so long as you keep it discreet and hide the evidence when the conductor walks through it’s not a problem!

harrisoni
beers 25356 º places 68 º 10:22 Sat 8/17/2013

We were threatened with a $500 fine, so didn’t risk it.

BlackHaddock
beers 15453 º places 1053 º 10:33 Sat 8/17/2013

1988 World Cup in West Germany: got the American Military train from Berlin to Frankfurt (overnight sleeper) to watch England lose 3-1 to Russia. US Military has a blanket no alcohol policy on transport (US Navy ships don’t even have any booze on board, that’s why they go crazy when they hit a port).

I smuggled miniature schnapps bottles inside a roast chicken for the journey: others did similar.

Another time we had vodka and orange in a big orange bottle: that was a bus trip with the US Air Force.

Strange people Americans!

<*))))))><

harrisoni
beers 25356 º places 68 º 10:49 Sat 8/17/2013

1988 was a European Championships surely not a World Cup?

And yes, Americans are strange people. Love the schnapps inside a roast chicken though. That’s fucking hilarious.