RBSG Winner!

Reads 11014 • Replies 90 • Started Monday, November 9, 2009 3:30:40 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Schroppfy
beers 2362 º places 13 º 03:23 Tue 11/10/2009

Saugatuck, South Haven and Holland are all within an hour. These towns are artistic and/or shopping havens and fun to walk around in. I would imagine some spouses might enjoy spending the day strolling the streets of these towns, and the beaches are OK. Ludington has sparkling, pristine sandy beaches and is 90 minutes north, taking up a good afternoon as well. Maybe that will work?

Look these towns up, gentlemen.

CheesedMan
beers 555 º places 12 º 03:41 Tue 11/10/2009

Originally posted by Cletus
Originally posted by eyebrews
I’d love to attend as well, but what is there to do/see in Grand Rapids that isn’t beery? Planning a 1K+ vacation is a tough sell with my wife if there is nothing for her to do.

We plan on providing lists of things to do and see in and around Grand Rapids. Here is what Tripadvisor lists:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g42256-Activities-Grand_Rapids_Michigan.html

This part might help:

http://www.michigan.org/Things-to-Do/Attractions/Museums/Default.aspx?city=G3095

We’ll see.

It would be nice to eventually see an RBSG on the East Coast. Florida (Orlando or Miami), Pennsylvannia (Philadelphia), Maine or NY would be nice. It seems that every RBSG is on the West Coast or in the Midwest.

Come to RBWG in March....

egajdzis
beers 9974 º places 49 º 03:53 Tue 11/10/2009

Originally posted by eclectic
Originally posted by TURDFERGUSON
Originally posted by Dickinsonbeer
Originally posted by j12601
23-26 is probably a no go for me as well. The weekend earlier might work, but if we end up getting into the program we’re trying for, we leave the country from NYC on the 24th.

23-26 might conflict with BCTC.

It is a possibility, although the last few years it has been first weekend in August. I think at this point if it did conflict with bctc I would be about 50/50.

B/C of budget/work issues, I probably will end up choosing RBSG over BCTC this year. Sad, cuz I love that fest. We’ll see though...

whoa there guys.. you would both bail on bctc? I’m disappointed.. I thought more highly of you guys.. ahh well

23-26 is baseball hall of fame weekend, so BCTC will not fall on this weekend.

eyebrews
04:24 Tue 11/10/2009

Originally posted by hmmiexist
I didn’t realize how expensive airfare is to Grand Rapids.

Yeah, I’m wondering how many people actually researched that prior to their voting. Seems like a bunch of neat stuff planned, and if I can go I will, but airfare into NYC is generally a lot easier.

It is a real WTF head scratcher. Airfare to Belgium is less for me than airfare to Grand Rapids, MI.

Now granted it was Vegas and Vegas has stupid cheap deals, but over the summer I got round trip flights and a 4 star hotel for 2 people for 4 days for less than I’m seeing round trip flights to GR for one person for. Glad that if I can make it I’ll be doing it as part of a cross country drive I guess.

Airfare varies greatly from day to day!!! We always check our options and start looking early. Detroit is usually the cheapest but also the farthest and the most hassle. Lansing, Flint and Grand Rapid have all been cheaper at times and way easier to get in and out of.

If you are planning on flying in for the festivities, keep checking rates and eventually you will find one that works. Keep in mind you will not need to pay for a rental car or parking if you land in Grand Rapids. You will also be about 15 minutes away from your beer destination :)

tjthresh
beers 1873 º places 85 º 04:32 Tue 11/10/2009

Originally posted by eyebrews
Originally posted by hmmiexist
I didn’t realize how expensive airfare is to Grand Rapids.

Yeah, I’m wondering how many people actually researched that prior to their voting. Seems like a bunch of neat stuff planned, and if I can go I will, but airfare into NYC is generally a lot easier.

It is a real WTF head scratcher. Airfare to Belgium is less for me than airfare to Grand Rapids, MI.

Now granted it was Vegas and Vegas has stupid cheap deals, but over the summer I got round trip flights and a 4 star hotel for 2 people for 4 days for less than I’m seeing round trip flights to GR for one person for. Glad that if I can make it I’ll be doing it as part of a cross country drive I guess.

Airfare varies greatly from day to day!!! We always check our options and start looking early. Detroit is usually the cheapest but also the farthest and the most hassle. Lansing, Flint and Grand Rapid have all been cheaper at times and way easier to get in and out of.

If you are planning on flying in for the festivities, keep checking rates and eventually you will find one that works. Keep in mind you will not need to pay for a rental car or parking if you land in Grand Rapids. You will also be about 15 minutes away from your beer destination :)

Can’t start checking for airfare until you guys lock down the date.

northernbrews
beers 50 º places 15 º 05:06 Tue 11/10/2009

We discussed the possible dates last night and we came to the conclusion that the best dates are from Thursday 7/22/10 – Monday 7/26/10. This fits into our proposal the best and will allow those that want to take the optional trip to the MI Summerfest the 23rd since that’s the only weekend it is and it is a great event. Our proposal will have most of the events from Friday to Monday, but we’ll have some fun stuff going on Thursday too if you want to come in a day earlier.

Over the next few weeks we’ll be meeting to discuss more of the details on setting up blocks of hotels rooms, tasting locations, contacting brewers, and work on getting a more concrete plan. When we have updates, we’ll post on here or in a new thread. I’ll work on getting the event up on here too.

We’ll also work on finding non-beer stuff to do for the families/spouses since that will be the only chance for some of you to come.

If you have any questions, etc….please post on here or message me.

Cheers, Jeff

PilsnerPeter
beers 3070 º places 100 º 05:22 Tue 11/10/2009

BCTC all the way.

CheesedMan
beers 555 º places 12 º 06:33 Tue 11/10/2009

Originally posted by PilsnerPeter
BCTC all the way.

Really necessary?

Schroppfy
beers 2362 º places 13 º 06:38 Tue 11/10/2009

BCTC all the way.

C’mon, really.

PilsnerPeter
beers 3070 º places 100 º 06:40 Tue 11/10/2009

Originally posted by TheCheeseMan
BCTC all the way.

Really necessary?

I’ll definitely make it out to this if it doesn’t conflict. It looks like it’ll be awesome.