RBSG Winner!

Reads 11011 • Replies 90 • Started Monday, November 9, 2009 3:30:40 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

eclectic
19:21 Mon 11/9/2009

Originally posted by TURDFERGUSON
Originally posted by Dickinsonbeer
Originally posted by Cletus
Originally posted by j12601
23-26 is probably a no go for me as well. The weekend earlier might work, but if we end up getting into the program we’re trying for, we leave the country from NYC on the 24th.

23-26 might conflict with BCTC.

It is a possibility, although the last few years it has been first weekend in August. I think at this point if it did conflict with bctc I would be about 50/50.

B/C of budget/work issues, I probably will end up choosing RBSG over BCTC this year. Sad, cuz I love that fest. We’ll see though...

whoa there guys.. you would both bail on bctc? I’m disappointed.. I thought more highly of you guys.. ahh well

eyebrews
19:34 Mon 11/9/2009

I’d love to attend as well, but what is there to do/see in Grand Rapids that isn’t beery? Planning a 1K+ vacation is a tough sell with my wife if there is nothing for her to do.

We plan on providing lists of things to do and see in and around Grand Rapids. Here is what Tripadvisor lists:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g42256-Activities-Grand_Rapids_Michigan.html

Cletus
beers 6349 º places 233 º 19:39 Mon 11/9/2009

Originally posted by eyebrews
I’d love to attend as well, but what is there to do/see in Grand Rapids that isn’t beery? Planning a 1K+ vacation is a tough sell with my wife if there is nothing for her to do.

We plan on providing lists of things to do and see in and around Grand Rapids. Here is what Tripadvisor lists:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g42256-Activities-Grand_Rapids_Michigan.html

This part might help:

http://www.michigan.org/Things-to-Do/Attractions/Museums/Default.aspx?city=G3095

We’ll see.

It would be nice to eventually see an RBSG on the East Coast. Florida (Orlando or Miami), Pennsylvannia (Philadelphia), Maine or NY would be nice. It seems that every RBSG is on the West Coast or in the Midwest.

hmmiexist
20:46 Mon 11/9/2009

I didn’t realize how expensive airfare is to Grand Rapids.

j12601
beers 14608 º places 583 º 20:52 Mon 11/9/2009

Originally posted by hmmiexist

Yeah, I’m wondering how many people actually researched that prior to their voting. Seems like a bunch of neat stuff planned, and if I can go I will, but airfare into NYC is generally a lot easier.

Cletus
beers 6349 º places 233 º 20:53 Mon 11/9/2009

Yeah, I’m wondering how many people actually researched that prior to their voting. Seems like a bunch of neat stuff planned, and if I can go I will, but airfare into NYC is generally a lot easier.

It is a real WTF head scratcher. Airfare to Belgium is less for me than airfare to Grand Rapids, MI.

j12601
beers 14608 º places 583 º 21:03 Mon 11/9/2009

It is a real WTF head scratcher. Airfare to Belgium is less for me than airfare to Grand Rapids, MI.

Now granted it was Vegas and Vegas has stupid cheap deals, but over the summer I got round trip flights and a 4 star hotel for 2 people for 4 days for less than I’m seeing round trip flights to GR for one person for. Glad that if I can make it I’ll be doing it as part of a cross country drive I guess.

sleestak
beers 226 º places 6 º 21:06 Mon 11/9/2009

A suggestion - airfare into Chicago will definitely run cheaper and is less than three hours away from GR (from Midway.) The drive to GR, BTW, takes you within 5 miles of Three Floyds, The Livery, Shoreline, and (sorta) Bells.

Flying into Lansing, MI might also be a cheaper option and will result in just over an hour drive. Before your trip, however, feel free to stop by Crunchy’s in E. Lansing, where 120 Minute IPA is currently available in 23 oz mugs.

WeeHeavySD
beers 3488 º places 111 º 21:11 Mon 11/9/2009

hell yeah!

mwsf
beers 361 º places 3 º 00:19 Tue 11/10/2009

Originally posted by sleestak
A suggestion - airfare into Chicago will definitely run cheaper and is less than three hours away from GR (from Midway.) The drive to GR, BTW, takes you within 5 miles of Three Floyds, The Livery, Shoreline, and (sorta) Bells.

My dad lives in West Michigan and I do this flight pretty frequently. If you fly into Chicago and drive, try to get a flight into Midway rather than O’Hare. Flying into Detroit is an option too. Flying into either of those cities and driving a rental car is usually cheaper and the same amount of time as a layover and the ~1 hour puddle-jumper flight into Grand Rapids. Then again, I just visited Michigan via Grand Rapids and my flight was cheap.