Tankbier?

Reads 1952 • Replies 21 • Started Tuesday, August 8, 2017 7:51:52 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

jonno
beers 2750 º places 211 º 07:51 Tue 8/8/2017

This may seem pointless to some, but are there bars that serve Tankbier in Brussels, like Prague? I am thinking Stella or Jupiler etc.

I would be curious to see if it improves ala Urquell...

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

caesar
beers 7642 º places 411 º 08:05 Tue 8/8/2017

Originally posted by jonno
This may seem pointless to some, but are there bars that serve Tankbier in Brussels, like Prague? I am thinking Stella or Jupiler etc.

By tankbier you mean that it is stored and served out of large tanks of over several hundred liters, instead of kegs? It is a very common thing in Holland and I know Jupiler has plenty in Holland, so I would think they have similar setups in Belgium as well. Depends on the bar ofcourse, but any larger bar with a lot of output of pilsener, will probably serve out of tanks. Im not an expert on the subject though, as I never worked in a bar. But I know a lot of local bars that serve out of tanks, so I doubt they are an exception.

jonno
beers 2750 º places 211 º 08:15 Tue 8/8/2017

Yes so it would be more select bars that do high volume, and get their tanks filled as fresh as possible. Preferably unpasteurized.

caesar
beers 7642 º places 411 º 08:22 Tue 8/8/2017

Yes so it would be more select bars that do high volume, and get their tanks filled as fresh as possible. Preferably unpasteurized.

So you mean the unfiltered variant?

jonno
beers 2750 º places 211 º 08:27 Tue 8/8/2017

Yes, correct. Sorry I should have said that initially.

jonno
beers 2750 º places 211 º 08:30 Tue 8/8/2017

caesar
beers 7642 º places 411 º 08:39 Tue 8/8/2017

Ah. That I dont know, sorry :-)

Benzai
beers 20020 º places 321 º 10:15 Tue 8/8/2017

Originally posted by caesar

By tankbier you mean that it is stored and served out of large tanks of over several hundred liters, instead of kegs? It is a very common thing in Holland The Netherlands and I know Jupiler has plenty in Holland The Netherlands, so I would think they have similar setups in Belgium as well. Depends on the bar ofcourse, but any larger bar with a lot of output of pilsener, will probably serve out of tanks. Im not an expert on the subject though, as I never worked in a bar. But I know a lot of local bars that serve out of tanks, so I doubt they are an exception.

FIFY

77ships
beers 14200 º places 935 º 10:30 Tue 8/8/2017

Unfiltered Palm sold at certain location including in Brussels: https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/palm-ongefilterd-draught/24117/

Brugse Zot is sold unfiltered at the brewery in Bruges. Occasionally at festival & bars in the past, this practice has been discontinued I believe. It is an improvement over the regular one.

Unfiltered Stella Artois seems iffy to me, I question the Untappd entry a bit.

I am surprised to hear about Jupiler being sold in giant tanks in the Netherlands, I don’t recall ever seeing that setup in Belgium. I have bothered seeking out Jupiler while in the Netherlands for obvious reasons.

Borresteijn
beers 11331 º places 404 º 02:48 Wed 8/9/2017

Originally posted by 77ships
Unfiltered Palm sold at certain location including in Brussels: https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/palm-ongefilterd-draught/24117/

Brugse Zot is sold unfiltered at the brewery in Bruges. Occasionally at festival & bars in the past, this practice has been discontinued I believe. It is an improvement over the regular one.

Unfiltered Stella Artois seems iffy to me, I question the Untappd entry a bit.

I am surprised to hear about Jupiler being sold in giant tanks in the Netherlands, I don’t recall ever seeing that setup in Belgium. I have bothered seeking out Jupiler while in the Netherlands for obvious reasons.

1000L tanks. Deadly if the turnover doesn’t turn out to be high enough.

JefVerstraete
beers 7113 º places 216 º 02:52 Wed 8/9/2017

I know in the station of Leuven they used to have a 1000 liter tank of Stella. Also in Eeklo there is a bar advertising with tankbier.
http://www.standaard.be/cnt/un2kqvqq