Tankbier?

Reads 1951 • Replies 21 • Started Tuesday, August 8, 2017 7:51:52 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

caesar
beers 7642 º places 411 º 06:14 Wed 8/9/2017

Originally posted by Borresteijn
Originally posted by 77ships
Unfiltered Palm sold at certain location including in Brussels: https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/palm-ongefilterd-draught/24117/

Brugse Zot is sold unfiltered at the brewery in Bruges. Occasionally at festival & bars in the past, this practice has been discontinued I believe. It is an improvement over the regular one.

Unfiltered Stella Artois seems iffy to me, I question the Untappd entry a bit.

I am surprised to hear about Jupiler being sold in giant tanks in the Netherlands, I don’t recall ever seeing that setup in Belgium. I have bothered seeking out Jupiler while in the Netherlands for obvious reasons.

1000L tanks. Deadly if the turnover doesn’t turn out to be high enough.

I think those big tanks work like a keykeg: it’s like a giant bag inside the tank. So, there is no oxygen/air in direct contact with the beer. When you get diacetyl, its more a matter of improper cleaning. Which ofcourse happens a lot as well :-)

JoeinDahlem
beers 1664 º places 356 º 08:05 Wed 8/9/2017

Originally posted by caesar
I think those big tanks work like a keykeg: it’s like a giant bag inside the tank. So, there is no oxygen/air in direct contact with the beer. When you get diacetyl, its more a matter of improper cleaning. Which ofcourse happens a lot as well :-)

You’re referring to Pilsner Urquell? Yes and no. Diacetyl in its case is not a flaw (in their view anyway), it’s long been part of the beer’s character. But you’re right about the bag-in-tank system. Pressure is on the bag inside the tank, so there’s no contact with the beer. Not every brewery does it that way though. Even so the beer is unpasteurized, so once tapped it starts to go sour in a few days. Left untapped, I believe, the beer can last a couple of weeks if kept cool.

Thinking about similar-ish Belgian serving methods: You can still get unfiltered Primus from the tank at the Brouwershof across from the Haacht brewery.

caesar
beers 7642 º places 411 º 08:18 Wed 8/9/2017

Originally posted by JoeinDahlem
Originally posted by caesar

You’re referring to Pilsner Urquell?

No, I was referring to the use of giant liter tanks in general in the Netherlands. Usually that’s regular Heineken or Jupiler :-)

caesar
beers 7642 º places 411 º 08:27 Wed 8/9/2017

But to get back on topic: Im actually surprised they would use the name ’tankbier’ for the unfiltered version. Normally they would use ’ongefilterd’ and that’s what I would search for then. So is this really the name by which it is marketed, or is it an Untappd user mistake?

jonno
beers 2750 º places 211 º 05:08 Thu 8/10/2017

Thank you for all the feedback guys. Quick question - in Brussels/Antwerp are most ratebeer type bars cash only?

77ships
beers 14200 º places 935 º 10:17 Thu 8/10/2017

Originally posted by jonno
Thank you for all the feedback guys. Quick question - in Brussels/Antwerp are most ratebeer type bars cash only?

Kulminator is the only one that is cash only. Most of them are used to dealing with foreign credit cards etc. Keep some cash on hand in case that they cannot accept a foreign card but I would not worry about it.

jonno
beers 2750 º places 211 º 00:24 Fri 8/11/2017

Cheers - thanks 77ships!

jonno
beers 2750 º places 211 º 00:28 Fri 8/11/2017

Sorry one last question I am doing my searching, but what is the best cheese shop in Brussels? Any thoughts? Hopefully one that has trappist cheeses too!

rhoihessegold
beers 6641 º places 417 º 02:50 Fri 8/11/2017

For cheese check out: http://www.saintoctave.be/

Amazing store, they do carry some local beers aswell.

JoeinDahlem
beers 1664 º places 356 º 03:26 Fri 8/11/2017

Originally posted by Maracuja05
For cheese check out: http://www.saintoctave.be/

Amazing store, they do carry some local beers aswell.

Good tip there. I was going to suggest the Crèmerie de Linkebeek, Rue du Vieux Marché aux Grains 4. Around the corner from Charli, maybe/probably the best bakery in the city.