Trade Mishap - Input Requested

Reads 3152 • Replies 35 • Started Thursday, April 24, 2014 7:57:58 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

b3shine
beers 12189 º places 372 º 07:58 Fri 4/25/2014

Originally posted by BoostIPA
Other situations where the sender would not be responsible:
Frozen/exploded bottles due to weather
Recipient made a typo on the address he gave you (this has happened to me)
Taxed/seized by customs
Broken "extras" (as long as the agreed upon bottles were delivered)

What would be nice would be to see some of these variables addressed in the trading rules. I know that we can’t exhaust all hypotheticals, but certain ones like bad weather, seized by customs, broken extras, etc. could be addressed fairly easily. I think it would be good to do for two reasons. First, it minimizes resentment between the two parties. Someone is going to be disappointed either way, but at least the disappointment falls clearly on one person’s own shoulders because there were rules already established. And second, it would make life easier for the trade admin. Rather than having to review every case subjectively (and disappointing someone), they could just point to the policies and say the rules were already established prior to the trade.

StefanSD
beers 2449 º places 57 º 08:03 Fri 4/25/2014

Originally posted by b3shine
Originally posted by BoostIPA
Other situations where the sender would not be responsible:

Frozen/exploded bottles due to weather

Taxed/seized by customs

I disagree with both of these. If the recipient is adamant about shipping in bad weather and says he’s willing to risk bottles exploding because he’s under time constraints for a tasting, then the onus is off the shipper. Otherwise the responsibility is on the shipper to make sure the box arrives with the agreed upon bottle(s) in good shape. It’s a risk you take shipping in the winter and/or internationally.

+1

And, I’ll add--When trading internationally its best to discuss beforehand how you plan to resolve customs taxes and seizes. Then if it happens you have an agreed upon course of action.

miketd
beers 5 º places 125 º 08:29 Fri 4/25/2014

May have been said, but if it was delivered you are not responsible anymore.

MacBoost
beers 2074 º places 37 º 09:14 Fri 4/25/2014

I was talking more like bottles arriving ok, but being froze due to sitting on the recipients porch for 5 hours in sub zero temps.

stawn
12:13 Fri 4/25/2014

Originally posted by GT2
Originally posted by Homer321
So someone actually opened the box and took specific or all the beers and left the box?

Yes, seemed odd to me too, but he sent me a picture of the box torn open. It only had to beers in it, a Lente and an 07 cork date Cantillon non-LP Kriek.

This sucks! GT2 - I have an extra Lente you can send to him, and I’m also in Carlsbad. Send me a message and we can meet up in person. No obligations, no payment, no beers necessary. Just passing on good beer karma.

cquiroga
beers 371 º places 11 º 13:54 Fri 4/25/2014

Good lord, all these damn rules and adamant proclamations about implied culpability on either side... That’s why I don’t trade anymore-- because I don’t want to get into a ridiculous back-and-forth about who was at fault or who owes who what or how I could never hope to replace the bottles I had traded and what now and whatever... Just makes me not want to mess with it all.

That, and I’m flagged with the bad trader alert banhammer...

miketd
beers 5 º places 125 º 14:06 Fri 4/25/2014

Originally posted by cquiroga
Good lord, all these damn rules and adamant proclamations about implied culpability on either side... That’s why I don’t trade anymore-- because I don’t want to get into a ridiculous back-and-forth about who was at fault or who owes who what or how I could never hope to replace the bottles I had traded and what now and whatever... Just makes me not want to mess with it all.

That, and I’m flagged with the bad trader alert banhammer...

I would still trade with you, Chris. But all I deal with is local for local these days... no whales, or whatever the nerds are calling it now.

OakedCanuck
14:28 Fri 4/25/2014

My buddy Ryan alerted me to this thread (waltersrj).

Let me clarify a few things;

I left town on the Friday morning the package was due to arrive. Anticipating this, I asked my next-door neighbour to grab the package off my porch when it arrived as I knew he would be around all day. He agreed. Fast forward to Sunday afternoon when I arrived home. Another neighbour that lives down my street (not my next door neighbour) stopped by with the ripped open box and said he found it in the alley behind his house. So I asked my next door neighbour why he didn’t grab it on Friday like I asked and he said it "slipped his mind". Idiot. So what happened was that the assholes must have cruised the neighbourhood at night picking up boxes to take (this has happened before), took my box and didn’t open it until in the safety of the alley, not on my porch. I do not live in a "shady" area, it is a new development with lots of construction workers and other ’strangers’ coming and going in the area, which is why I took the proper precautions.

Regardless, I immediately messaged GT2 telling him what happened and sent him a picture of the torn open box. I also told him twice that he was NOT responsible and in no way needed to send a replacement. It was my fault for trusting my POS neighbour. It is on me (actually my neighbour) and not GT. He was very apologetic that it happened to me and was a cool dude to deal with (again).

Now does that clarify things for you fucktards who think I was dumb enough to leave town when expecting a box without a contingency plan (and unfortunately my contingency plan failed me)?

cquiroga
beers 371 º places 11 º 14:34 Fri 4/25/2014

Cool story, bro.

Shoot me an address and I’ll shoot you a box. GT two (too)...

thome50
beers 1295 º places 34 º 14:35 Fri 4/25/2014

A few years back I had a box sent to my grandmother’s house as I was going to be in town for Thanksgiving and the beer was to be opened then. Turns out a couple meth heads had just moved in next door and took the box from the Fedex driver. (No signature required. Houses very close so I assume the Fedex driver thought it was fine.)

I didn’t ask or even think that the sender was responsible. He did then go through Fedex and got insurance for the box. With that money he sent another box a few months later even though I said it wasn’t necessary. This was just a local for local trade for the most part though and so not much that couldn’t be replaced. Best of luck getting this worked out.

Trading Policy  

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer

View Beer Deliveries
New To Trading?
Mail Order Beer
 P  Most Wanted Beer