Using RateBeer scores in marketing

Reads 6069 • Replies 33 • Started Thursday, May 16, 2013 3:33:17 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

jookos
beers 8663 º places 138 º 03:33 Thu 5/16/2013

A bunch of bars over here have started posting ratebeer scores on facebook etc for stuff they put in their taps, which I find delighting and helpful. But recently I found a bottle of Epic’s Smoked & Oaked, which came with a promoting tag quoting a ratebeer.com score of 97 (iirc). This probably isn’t a new phenomenon, but I was still surprised to see a producer use ratebeer as a reference in their marketing.

I’m interested in hearing what’s your (ratebeerians) take on this? I wouldn’t expect anyone being opposed to it as, at least I, find it informing. Does this solidify ratebeer as *the* place for beer opinions? Have you found bars/breweries that use it consistently? Or have you encountered any misleading use of ratebeer scores (e.g., a score taken long ago, after which it has sunk dramatically)?

jmagnus87
beers 2903 º places 92 º 05:00 Thu 5/16/2013

I see RB and BA scores on shelftags all the time. Its good marketing. Your average consumer is borderline retarded. All you have to do is tell them "hey, this beer is scored 97/100" and they will think its good and popular and they will buy it. They could care less who its scored by or how or why. Its the same mentality most of the newbies seeking .rar walez have.

erway
beers 1004 º places 41 º 05:27 Thu 5/16/2013

It’s certainly a lot more informative and accurate than wine spectator is for wine.

That being said, Whole Foods and Total Wine will only allow Beeradvocate. No idea why, but that’s the rule.

pinkie
beers 470 º places 10 º 05:36 Thu 5/16/2013

Originally posted by erway
It’s certainly a lot more informative and accurate than wine spectator is for wine.

I am delighted when I see the shelf tags from rate beer. It doesn’t help me buy as much as the reviews of the people that I read regularly but in a pinch I would use it to make a decision. I also like the shelf tags because I feel like I contributed to that opinion.

b3shine
beers 12200 º places 372 º 05:46 Thu 5/16/2013

I hope Epic asked Joe if they could reference his site before they created the promo tags.

StefanSD
beers 2449 º places 57 º 08:18 Thu 5/16/2013

Stone sometimes puts Ratebeer scores on the posters they send to bottle shops to promote seasonal releases.

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 08:21 Thu 5/16/2013

Originally posted by erway
That being said, Whole Foods and Total Wine will only allow Beeradvocate. No idea why, but that’s the rule.

Where? Total Wine in Socal is finally running RateBeer after being BeerAdvocate for many years. Whole Foods in three major US regions has had a long standing relationship with RateBeer and they used our tags fairly exclusively.

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 08:22 Thu 5/16/2013

Originally posted by pinkie
I also like the shelf tags because I feel like I contributed to that opinion.

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 08:24 Thu 5/16/2013

We have some basic rules about how to use the scores.

1. You have to date the score with a month/year or season/year.
2. You have to reference RateBeer properly (e.g. not RateBeer.net, or Rate A Beer, or Ratebeer, or Rate Beer)
3. The numbers must be accurate

puzzl
beers 3258 º places 138 º 08:25 Thu 5/16/2013

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 08:33 Thu 5/16/2013

Originally posted by puzzl
http://rateabeer.com

Seriously. I got this more than once. Worst ever was a *printed out* "GreatBeer.com" with our shelf tag design.