RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Industry | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Using RateBeer scores in marketing

read 3460 times • 33 replies • posted 5/16/2013 3:33:17 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

premium
jookos 2313:111
A bunch of bars over here have started posting ratebeer scores on facebook etc for stuff they put in their taps, which I find delighting and helpful. But recently I found a bottle of Epicís Smoked & Oaked, which came with a promoting tag quoting a ratebeer.com score of 97 (iirc). This probably isnít a new phenomenon, but I was still surprised to see a producer use ratebeer as a reference in their marketing.

Iím interested in hearing whatís your (ratebeerians) take on this? I wouldnít expect anyone being opposed to it as, at least I, find it informing. Does this solidify ratebeer as *the* place for beer opinions? Have you found bars/breweries that use it consistently? Or have you encountered any misleading use of ratebeer scores (e.g., a score taken long ago, after which it has sunk dramatically)?
Private message Send the author a private message

premium
jmagnus87 2438:85
I see RB and BA scores on shelftags all the time. Its good marketing. Your average consumer is borderline retarded. All you have to do is tell them "hey, this beer is scored 97/100" and they will think its good and popular and they will buy it. They could care less who its scored by or how or why. Its the same mentality most of the newbies seeking .rar walez have.
5/16/2013 5:00:32 AM

Private message send the author a private message

erway 1004:41
Itís certainly a lot more informative and accurate than wine spectator is for wine.

That being said, Whole Foods and Total Wine will only allow Beeradvocate. No idea why, but thatís the rule.
5/16/2013 5:27:21 AM

pinkie 470:10
Originally posted by erway
Itís certainly a lot more informative and accurate than wine spectator is for wine.

I am delighted when I see the shelf tags from rate beer. It doesnít help me buy as much as the reviews of the people that I read regularly but in a pinch I would use it to make a decision. I also like the shelf tags because I feel like I contributed to that opinion.
5/16/2013 5:36:31 AM

premium
b3shine 5558:266
I hope Epic asked Joe if they could reference his site before they created the promo tags.
5/16/2013 5:46:47 AM

premium
StefanSD 2150:45
Stone sometimes puts Ratebeer scores on the posters they send to bottle shops to promote seasonal releases.
5/16/2013 8:18:17 AM

premium
admin
joet 2188:91
Originally posted by erway
That being said, Whole Foods and Total Wine will only allow Beeradvocate. No idea why, but thatís the rule.

Where? Total Wine in Socal is finally running RateBeer after being BeerAdvocate for many years. Whole Foods in three major US regions has had a long standing relationship with RateBeer and they used our tags fairly exclusively.
5/16/2013 8:21:40 AM

premium
admin
Originally posted by pinkie
I also like the shelf tags because I feel like I contributed to that opinion.

5/16/2013 8:22:31 AM

premium
admin
We have some basic rules about how to use the scores.

1. You have to date the score with a month/year or season/year.
2. You have to reference RateBeer properly (e.g. not RateBeer.net, or Rate A Beer, or Ratebeer, or Rate Beer)
3. The numbers must be accurate
5/16/2013 8:24:36 AM

puzzl 3252:138
5/16/2013 8:25:09 AM

premium
admin
Originally posted by puzzl
http://rateabeer.com

Seriously. I got this more than once. Worst ever was a *printed out* "GreatBeer.com" with our shelf tag design.
5/16/2013 8:33:30 AM

Home > Forums > Industry

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers