Who else has Kernel love?

Reads 3379 • Replies 41 • Started Sunday, September 2, 2012 10:44:54 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

harrisoni
beers 25366 º places 68 º 10:44 Sun 9/2/2012

I suppose it was August 2010 when I was at the Brew Wharf with Phil Lowry when he introduced me to this bloke who ended up giving me unlabelled bottles of a porter and a Centennial Pale Ale and a hope that he would be brewing commercially at some time. Never one to turn down a free beer, I popped them into my bag to drink at home. I also took his business card and remember drinking the beers and emailing this bloke (Evin as it turned out to be), what I thought of his beers. I seem to remember that I thought the porter needed a bit of work (what do I know about dark beers??), but I gave the Pale Ale a 3.6 out of 5 (on the Ratebeer scale had it been commercially available) and thought it was very good.

Two and a bit years on and I’ve rated 30 of The Kernel’s beers 4.0 or higher and on several occasions, the beers have saved me from moments of complete psychological breakdown (see my rating of SCANS).

I was sat on Friday night having drunk a couple of Kernel’s from The Bottle Shop in Canterbury and just thinking, "wow, I can’t think of another brewer in the last 2 years who has given me so much pleasure on such a consistent basis."

And then there is the brewery itself on a Saturday morning. Enough people have said how great it is already, but for once, the hype is right.

So thank you to Evin and the much missed Nate and Toby and everyone else I have met at or through The Kernel brewery. It’s just been wonderful, thank you for giving me and so many other people so much pleasure and keep up the good work.

Oh and if possible hide a couple of beers from Ken, just to make him mad.

Thanks

Ian

madmitch76
beers 36949 º places 240 º 01:13 Mon 9/3/2012

Oi!

Fin
beers 17274 º places 1653 º 01:25 Mon 9/3/2012

Has Toby moved on now? Last time I saw him was at The Weekend of Sponataneous Fermentation, Belgium, late May and I think he was still at Kernel then as he was sat at our table.

madmitch76
beers 36949 º places 240 º 01:29 Mon 9/3/2012

Its not even 2 years since I had IPA Citra+ at the Rake - Id almost walked out as there wws nowt new on for me but Mario caught my eye and fetched the Citra from its hiding place at the back of the fridge. I was blown away - completely taken by surprise how good it was. This new brewery Id had half a dozen decent beers from had suddenly taken it to another level. They have been blowing me away ever since. I sometimes to pinch myself that this world class brewery is a local one.

So much love and thanks to Evin, Toby, Christian and everyone else at Kernel for great beers and many happy times at the brewery. Nate is sadly missed but not forgotten.

madmitch76
beers 36949 º places 240 º 01:34 Mon 9/3/2012

Toby? Was very much still at the new brewery in July.

nate2g
beers 1548 º places 1290 º 02:11 Mon 9/3/2012

Ah cheers guys. I honestly don’t know how I’ve lasted this long without drinking a Kernel beer.

If anyone wants to ship a case to the deep South...

madmitch76
beers 36949 º places 240 º 10:06 Mon 9/3/2012

Originally posted by nate2g
Ah cheers guys. I honestly don’t know how I’ve lasted this long without drinking a Kernel beer.

I will if you ship some deep south good stuff back up North ....

harrisoni
beers 25366 º places 68 º 10:52 Mon 9/3/2012

We miss you Nate.

madmitch76
beers 36949 º places 240 º 12:20 Mon 9/3/2012

Originally posted by harrisoni

We miss you Nate.

We do! Our Aussie Beer Sensai. .... Who doesnt like beer!

Anychance of you coming back Mr Ross?

thepeter
beers 326 º places 24 º 13:14 Mon 9/3/2012

Going to Kernel is one of my favorite things to do in London. The people who work there and drink there make it what it is. . .Oh yeah and the beer is pretty damn amazing as well.

TysonBeerhound
beers 61 º places 10 º 14:54 Mon 9/3/2012

Kernel are pretty special it has to be said.