2015 College Football Thread - In Season Edition

Reads 25382 • Replies 342 • Started Wednesday, September 2, 2015 12:44:34 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

GodOfThunder
beers 1364 º places 65 º 12:29 Mon 10/26/2015

Originally posted by TheAlum
Did you want him gone as coach?

Who are coaching targets UCF can get?

The first question is a tough one. I think it was time. With a season like this, it was time.

Do I want him gone? Not really. The guy built UCF up from a team that had football offices in trailers 12 years ago. We owe pretty much everything to the guy. A BCS Bowl win, 4 Conference Championships, and another 2 Division Championships, over his tenure. Only a select few coaches can even come close to that. Not to mention the #3 team GPA in FBS.

The guy was a hardass old fart, but he’s a damn good football coach and leader of men.

GodOfThunder
beers 1364 º places 65 º 12:31 Mon 10/26/2015

I think we’re going to have a lot to pick from. There are already a bunch of stories out saying UCF is a better opening than Miami.

We’re also looking for an Athletics Director. Bowling Green AD, Chris Kingston, is a UCF grad. He has already openly expressed interest. Bowling Green head coach Dino Babers is already being discussed as a GOL replacement. Who knows, we might just go poach all of Bowling Green.

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 12:35 Mon 10/26/2015

Miami has recruited at an average overall class position of 11.6 (Among ALL college programs) since 2012. Many of those kids are @ Miami.. right now.. and will be there next year.

Surely, Miami is the better job for any coach to step into right now. And recruiting on name still works there as ridiculous as WE ALL think that is.

While I admire your positivity, UCF is definitely NOT a better job than Miami.

All that said, Dino Babers is a good coach and Bowling Green is a solid MAC program. I think he could be a good target for UCF.

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 12:39 Mon 10/26/2015

SHIG
admin
beers 13064 º places 502 º 13:03 Mon 10/26/2015

Well Chris Clark has already decommited from joining Syracuse (school #4). Good luck to anyone that plans on him joining your school and playing a down ever!

Homer321
beers 5369 º places 54 º 13:32 Mon 10/26/2015

College Gameday is going to Philly for a football program that doesn’t even have their own stadium?

GodOfThunder
beers 1364 º places 65 º 13:53 Mon 10/26/2015

Originally posted by TheAlum
Miami has recruited at an average overall class position of 11.6 (Among ALL college programs) since 2012. Many of those kids are @ Miami.. right now.. and will be there next year.

Surely, Miami is the better job for any coach to step into right now. And recruiting on name still works there as ridiculous as WE ALL think that is.

While I admire your positivity, UCF is definitely NOT a better job than Miami.

All that said, Dino Babers is a good coach and Bowling Green is a solid MAC program. I think he could be a good target for UCF.

Miami isn’t the Miami of old.
In the last 10 years, UCF has a better winning percentage, more wins vs Top 10 teams, more bowl wins, and a pretty trophy covered in corn chips.

Miami isn’t a good job. It is a tiny private school that doesn’t care about football, plays in a stadium 30 minutes from campus, and (yes) is less relevant than even UCF now. They have very little fan support, even when they are winning. Their best hope is getting the fickle Miami community on their side with a winning season. Basically, in order to get better, they need to get better. Tough job.

UCF is young, has great student support, is the largest undergrad school in the country, pays pretty damn well, might (possibly) be moving up to a better conference in the future, and comes with low expectations! Easy job!

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 14:00 Mon 10/26/2015

Originally posted by Homer321
College Gameday is going to Philly for a football program that doesn’t even have their own stadium?

Pullman seemed like the better call here.

Maybe it just didn’t work out logistics-wise?

It is in the middle of fucken nowhere.

GodOfThunder
beers 1364 º places 65 º 17:10 Mon 10/26/2015

...and my thinking that UCF is a better job than Miami isn’t necessarily saying UCF is that great, but that Miami has sank that low while we have come up.

JoeinDahlem
beers 1664 º places 356 º 05:04 Tue 10/27/2015

I don’t know the difference in $$$ between the UCF and Miami jobs, but all things being equal -- were I a coveted head coach candidate -- I think I’d take UCF over Miami. Less pressure, less baggage, but more long-term potential.