2015 College Football Thread - In Season Edition

Reads 25383 • Replies 342 • Started Wednesday, September 2, 2015 12:44:34 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

GodOfThunder
beers 1364 º places 65 º 08:18 Tue 12/1/2015

We had success with George O’Leary, the most stubborn, hardass, old fart coach out there.

Now we have the foundation O’Leary built, and two young guys coming in to bring in talent and coach them up. I think it is a pretty badass hire for us.

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 08:21 Tue 12/1/2015

Your strength in O’Leary was that he was never going to leave. He was there to build something. And let’s not embellish.. the foundation looks pretty terrible currently. It may have worked when you grabbed a couple kids.. but those kids are gone. Recruitment hasn’t replaced them.

Frost will surely leave if he does have success. That’s an outright guarantee. Brother wanted that Nebraska job HARD last year.

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 08:35 Tue 12/1/2015

It will be interesting to see what Frost can do with the midlevel Florida talent he brings in that is clearly athletically gifted (maybe not football gifted) and run that offense.’

That system doesn’t need football greats. It needs athletes. Makes recruiting a bit different.

GodOfThunder
beers 1364 º places 65 º 08:56 Tue 12/1/2015

Originally posted by TheAlum
Your strength in O’Leary was that he was never going to leave. He was there to build something. And let’s not embellish.. the foundation looks pretty terrible currently. It may have worked when you grabbed a couple kids.. but those kids are gone. Recruitment hasn’t replaced them.

Frost will surely leave if he does have success. That’s an outright guarantee. Brother wanted that Nebraska job HARD last year.

By "foundation," I’m not really talking about on-the-field performance. O’Leary made us a real program. Real strength and conditioning. Real video team. #1 public university in academics. etc. O’Leary built the entire program. Things have gone to shit on-the-field, but the foundation for the entire program is still there and is solid.

We haven’t replaced the talent we lost. This is exactly why we were horrible this year. That’s why a guy like Frost is a damn good hire. I love the night and day aspect of this. We went from O’Leary, to a guy that kids are going to want to play for. Hopefully we can make that offense a success.

He will leave. Pretty much any coach would leave UCF for a lot of P5 jobs. We’ll just have to deal with it and hope we have a nice buyout.

SHIG
admin
beers 13064 º places 502 º 20:57 Tue 12/1/2015

Sounds like from my sources Frost negotiations broke down with Syracuse because he didn’t want to be tied into a long term deal. Fact that he is using UCF as a stepping stone job to Nebraska long term deal if he has success.

GodOfThunder
beers 1364 º places 65 º 08:07 Wed 12/2/2015

Originally posted by SHIG

Sounds like from my sources Frost negotiations broke down with Syracuse because he didn’t want to be tied into a long term deal. Fact that he is using UCF as a stepping stone job to Nebraska long term deal if he has success.

Saw that, too. But, also saw that ’Cuse only offered him $1.2Million. UCF offered more.

Just heard an interview with Frost. This is the guy UCF needs now: the anti-O’Leary.

GodOfThunder
beers 1364 º places 65 º 09:19 Wed 12/2/2015

5 years, $1.7 Mil, with $250K in possible incentives. 2 year add-on option.
$2.3 Mil for staff.

Homer321
beers 5369 º places 54 º 09:21 Wed 12/2/2015

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 09:22 Wed 12/2/2015

#Haha #Jorts

SHIG
admin
beers 13064 º places 502 º 09:57 Wed 12/2/2015

Originally posted by GodOfThunder
Originally posted by SHIG

Saw that, too. But, also saw that ’Cuse only offered him $1.2Million. UCF offered more.

Just heard an interview with Frost. This is the guy UCF needs now: the anti-O’Leary.

A fairly linked in source stated that they never got to salary numbers because of the commitment/buy out negotiations. I’m sure if you read the fine print Frost will easily be able to slip away in two years from that five year deal.

Also $1.2M is not considered bad when base salary is what the schools paying. As a private university a majority of salary is payed directly by IMG deal. Example Shafer made $1.3M this year, however Syracuse was only paying $300K of that. The numbers right now look like we are going to pay between $2.2-2.8M a year with five year minimum contract. I think we will see DC Ash from tOSU named by next week. Although I would have liked to see them get an offensive minded coach with some recruiting street cred. Matt Rhule (recruits the same areas/meld of O/D coaching experience) from Temple would be my #1 candidate with Barber a close #2 only because he heavily recruits Texas and there now way country boys are headed to NY.