East Coast vs. West Coast

Reads 4859 • Replies 53 • Started Sunday, May 15, 2005 11:35:20 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

beerguzzler
beers 31 º 00:08 Mon 5/16/2005

your too good for us.....need more info on your wisdom.....

Cletus
beers 6349 º places 233 º 00:10 Mon 5/16/2005

Originally posted by beerguzzler
i love how this goes to an east coast bash to west...and ends up in the south...nice.

Well...you do have Legend...

IMHO New England and the Middle States (NY, NJ, Delaware Pennsylvania) rival any other beer rich areas in the world (even if Belgium still wipes the floor with the US). I know every time I drive past the Norwich Inn or pick up some Unibroue, it puts a big smile on my face in anticipation of some great beer.

CaptainCougar
beers 7131 º places 142 º 00:15 Mon 5/16/2005

You can get great beer from anywhere in the country delivered to anywhere in the country. It’s called trading (or even purchasing from online retailers). Get with the times .

Reid
beers 3533 º places 95 º 02:15 Mon 5/16/2005

Originally posted by beerguzzler
dude walks in a 7-11 dosent find any decent beers....gets bent out of shape n blames the whole east coast of being lame.....

But the pojnt was I can walk into a 7-11 here in Oregon and walk out with a Mirror Pond,a Black Butte Porter,
a Fat Tire,a Widmers hefe,an Alaskan Amber, Full Sail Amber etc etc..and this is in the state capital which has a small pop of 130,000.
When I have been back East, and let me say no i KNOW there are some terrific beers from the East. some better than we can get in the West, but the general availability of good beers is somewhat limited..like the guy says go to a 7-11 in a reasonably sized town in some areas of the East and the best you might find might be Amber Bock..or maybe Redhook ESB if you are very lucky. Its hrd to get to a quality beer store at 11 pm on a monday night.

willblake
beers 2654 º places 81 º 02:23 Mon 5/16/2005

Originally posted by Reid
Its hrd to get to a quality beer store at 11 pm on a monday night.
That’s an impossibility in NJ. You have to plan a little or you’re probably screwed. However, our beer stores are open on Sundays and holidays, better than I can say for some places I’ve been in the midwest.

DrunkAsASkunk
beers 847 º places 40 º 02:31 Mon 5/16/2005

Let’s get down to the facts here......

Southampton, Victory and Dogfish Head

versus

Stone and Alesmith

Its pretty much balances out... but no one has brought up the true defining...nay... tiebreaking factor as to why the West Coast puts the east coast to shame anyday.... and that is of course....

The fact that Lord Gorlock resides on the west coast...instantly making it a success!

On a serious note...about the only place i’d like to NOT be caught in the US is the deep south...Miss/Ala/Georgia.... good luck finding anything suitable in those states!!!

Mangino
beers 1027 º places 15 º 02:36 Mon 5/16/2005

Originally posted by mreeves
I’m on a business trip to Northern Virginia from my Seattle home this week, and I feel sorry for you East Coasters. The only retail shop near my hotel is 7-11, and the best offering they have is Dominion Lager, which I’d say is pretty darn mediocre. In Seattle, there are at least 5-10 good beers available, including things like Mirror Pond Pale Ale, various Pyramid offerings and other quality, if unspectacular selections. How do you live in this wasteland? The East Coast is a good 10 years behind the West in getting up to speed on good beer.

I’m sorry, but thats just plain stupid. Is this yorue first time out of the "great amazing west coast"? Maybe if you spent more than 3 minutes to find a decent brew/liquor shop, youre opinion would change.

10 years behind? Old Horizontal, Dogfish head 90, 120, WWS. I could go on and on, but I wont waste any more of my valuble midwestern time on you.

Facto’

OldGrowth
beers 3472 º places 204 º 04:54 Mon 5/16/2005

I can see what you mean by relative ease of convenience stores for picking up a basic ale. It just seems silly to do the versus thing. Atleast in Massachusetts most conveience stores don’t have liquor licences so you don’t find much beer wise, I don’t know if it’s the same in Virginia. The 10 year behind statement is just wrong.

MrRomero
beers 1976 º places 112 º 06:49 Mon 5/16/2005

A horse walks into a 7-11. The cashier asks, "why the long face?" The horse replies, "all you have is shit beer."

boto
beers 2444 º places 104 º 06:57 Mon 5/16/2005

Originally posted by mreeves
I’m on a business trip to Northern Virginia from my Seattle home this week, and I feel sorry for you East Coasters. The only retail shop near my hotel is 7-11, and the best offering they have is Dominion Lager, which I’d say is pretty darn mediocre. In Seattle, there are at least 5-10 good beers available, including things like Mirror Pond Pale Ale, various Pyramid offerings and other quality, if unspectacular selections. How do you live in this wasteland? The East Coast is a good 10 years behind the West in getting up to speed on good beer.

I’ll bet that if I walked into a random convenience store around Seattle (I have) that their only choices would be basically the big three. Convenience stores (no matter where they are located) are only interested in high volume producs that appeal to a large segment of the population. This is how Apu makes his $.