East Coast vs. West Coast

Reads 4857 • Replies 53 • Started Sunday, May 15, 2005 11:35:20 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

batkins
places 78 º 13:39 Mon 5/16/2005

Originally posted by billk
What can you get in the Seattle area that is really good? Deschutes, & Pyramid are pretty bad and Rogue (although some are good) is often not much to write home about. The East has Dogfish Head 60 & 90 IPAs and also Smuttynose IPA. Victory has some quality brews not to mention Sly Fox & McKenzies. Mirror Pond!!?? good god who drinks that stuff?

Once again, your missing the point.
Can you go down to the corner, from you house, and get those?
What is available down the street?

Mittenstein
13:43 Mon 5/16/2005

is it true that people on the west coast only wear nikes while we east coasters only wear adidas?

DerWeg
beers 2175 º places 48 º 14:03 Mon 5/16/2005

I went into a few LA restaurants that had Pyramid Hefeweizen etc. - it was generally all bad.

But if I really went and explored LA I’d probably find the good bars and retailers. The world is just like that; you won’t always be handed the splendors of a city right where you step off the plane - that’s the fun of it.

MilkmanDan
beers 1942 º places 20 º 14:04 Mon 5/16/2005

Originally posted by batkins
What can you get in the Seattle area that is really good? Deschutes, & Pyramid are pretty bad and Rogue (although some are good) is often not much to write home about. The East has Dogfish Head 60 & 90 IPAs and also Smuttynose IPA. Victory has some quality brews not to mention Sly Fox & McKenzies. Mirror Pond!!?? good god who drinks that stuff?

Once again, your missing the point.
Can you go down to the corner, from you house, and get those?

Uh, no the original posting was "the only retail shop near my hotel is a 7-11 and, since their selection sucks, the East Coast is 10 years behind the West Coast". That’s bullshit. I’ll take East Coast beer over any other areas beer. I mean, our brewers actually have this concept called "lagers" down (the things the OP has had a grand total of five of). You know, subtlety, balance, all that. I’d take Dominion Lager over anything Pyramid could brew (Pyramid doesn’t fit my definition of "quality"). So your 7-11s have your local beers. Dominion would be our local brewer. Seems pretty similar to me.

Wasteland my ass. Screw my objections over DC being selected as a RBSG site. I’m all for it. Let’s drag all of Ratebeer to our choices of Dominion, Du Claw, Franklin’s, Founders’, Whole Foods, Norm’s, Chevy Chase Liquors, Village Pump, RFD, the Brick, and all of the other crap that make this a "wasteland" just because 7-11 doesn’t stock a couple bottles of beer that don’t at least completely suck.

ElGaucho
beers 2401 º places 286 º 15:13 Mon 5/16/2005

Originally posted by jjpm74
..(even if Belgium still wipes the floor with the US.)

Not exactly. I’ll take the top ten US brewers over the top 10 Belgian brewers any day. Belgian beers comprise 8 of the Ratebeer top 50. U.S. beers comprise 8 of the top 12. ’Nough said.

DerWeg
beers 2175 º places 48 º 15:59 Mon 5/16/2005

re: Up to speed on good beer

Originally posted by WawoodBelgian beers comprise 8 of the Ratebeer top 50. U.S. beers comprise 8 of the top 12. ’Nough said.

That’s ’cos we’re all backward, North American sh-tkickers on this here RateBeer.

Just kidding, I too have a ton of respect for American and Canadian brewing as a real phenomenon, and it’s a VERY exciting time for growth. Now please tell my pinko government to start selling your excellent west cost micros north of the border, please please!

ClarkVV
beers 13417 º places 111 º 16:07 Mon 5/16/2005

Originally posted by Wawood
Originally posted by jjpm74
..(even if Belgium still wipes the floor with the US.)

Not exactly. I’ll take the top ten US brewers over the top 10 Belgian brewers any day. Belgian beers comprise 8 of the Ratebeer top 50. U.S. beers comprise 8 of the top 12. ’Nough said.

I’m going to have to disagree, strongly, with that one. I think there is plenty more to be said. . .

ericmc83
beers 207 º 16:22 Mon 5/16/2005

For those of you knocking Pyramid for not being very good I must admit that Pyramid’s IPA is one of my favorites...I realize that it’s all reliant on personal tastes, but I would rather have Pyramid IPA than some others that are rated more highly on here. I can’t really think of any IPA that I would rather have more than this one...but that’s probably just me. Or maybe I got lucky and had an extraordinary batch of it I can’t comment on the East vs. West thing because I live in the dreaded deep south.

billk
beers 353 º places 60 º 17:38 Mon 5/16/2005

[quote}

"down the street" in my little jerk water town is Arrogant Bastard bombers and all the usual untouchable stuff like ANYTHING Red Hook, about 3 or 4 New Belgium, Pyramid somethings, and other don’t do its. 12 miles into Cd’A and its Stone IPA in the bombers and some Rogue and some doable things in a pinch. At the convience stores around here there ain’t nothing......maybe fat tire but who would buy that?

Where I visit every year in the suburban Philadelphia, PA area there is a good selection of Stoudt’s and Victory offerings "down the street" but I don’t buy anything in PA. I don’t support those commie bastards. Besides I don’t like to buy a full case of something just because they say I have to. I drive about 15 miles to Claymont, DE and get a good selection there, with no tax and no communism.

Red Hook ESB, Fat tire, and some of the other western looser, everywhere crap INCLUDING SNPA is just like BMC to me. No thanks, I’ll drink wine tonight.

batkins
places 78 º 18:10 Mon 5/16/2005

[quote}

"down the street" in my little jerk water town is Arrogant Bastard bombers and all the usual untouchable stuff like ANYTHING Red Hook, about 3 or 4 New Belgium, Pyramid somethings, and other don’t do its. 12 miles into Cd’A and its Stone IPA in the bombers and some Rogue and some doable things in a pinch. At the convience stores around here there ain’t nothing......maybe fat tire but who would buy that?

Where I visit every year in the suburban Philadelphia, PA area there is a good selection of Stoudt’s and Victory offerings "down the street" but I don’t buy anything in PA. I don’t support those commie bastards. Besides I don’t like to buy a full case of something just because they say I have to. I drive about 15 miles to Claymont, DE and get a good selection there, with no tax and no communism.

Red Hook ESB, Fat tire, and some of the other western looser, everywhere crap INCLUDING SNPA is just like BMC to me. No thanks, I’ll drink wine tonight.

Man your taking this a bit too personal.
Drink one of those beers. Unwind a bit.
Beer seems to be a regional mindset here.........never got that back east.
Lots of micro’s and breweries EVERYWHERE.
Not at this one store here or that store there.
Not 15 miles away. EVERYWHERE.
That’s all I was saying.
But for God’s sake.........stay away from that SNPA.
Enjoy the wine