East Coast vs. West Coast

Reads 4858 • Replies 53 • Started Sunday, May 15, 2005 11:35:20 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

billk
beers 353 º places 60 º 12:22 Tue 5/17/2005

Man your taking this a bit too personal.

I’m 5 days into a low carb diet with no beer and got 2 more weeks to go if I can stand it. Steak, salad and red wine every night sounds nice but after a while it’ll get you climbing the walls.

I’d still like to know what really good beer is produced in Washington state that is fairly available in a relatively large area in that state?

egajdzis
beers 9960 º places 49 º 12:36 Tue 5/17/2005

Originally posted by batkins
Once again, your missing the point.
Can you go down to the corner, from you house, and get those?
What is available down the street?

I can! And I live in Schwenksville, PA. Where the fuck is that? Middle of bumble I tell ya. And currently my local corner pizza place has Victory Kolsch, Stone IPA, and Lagunitas Hairy Eyeball on tap! Shag can attest to this...

cordrey
beers 1 º 12:44 Tue 5/17/2005

Originally posted by egajdzis

I can! And I live in Schwenksville, PA. Where the fuck is that? Middle of bumble I tell ya. And currently my local corner pizza place has Victory Kolsch, Stone IPA, and Lagunitas Hairy Eyeball on tap! Shag can attest to this...

I can verify this as well.

egajdzis
beers 9960 º places 49 º 12:51 Tue 5/17/2005

I lost track of whats even being argued here. Bottom line, use RateBeer before you travel, and you will not have this problem. Pretty simple.

batkins
places 78 º 13:08 Tue 5/17/2005

It’s not about what is produced in my state.
It’s just what’s easily and readily available.
Most places around me have the full line up from Bridgeport, Full Sail, Widmer, and Deschutes. They also carry portions of Pike, Pyramid, Stone, Alaskan, Sierra Nevada and a large selection of Rogue.
Grocery stores tend to carry 10 or 15 imports. My local Fred Meyer has an entire aisle dedicated to beer, both sides of the aisle. One side is BMC crap, the other regionals and imports.
This you can find in most grocery and convenience stores. Some more, some less.
The bars/restaurants tend to carry wide varieties as well.
You’ll find the occasional place that carries swill, but it’s rare. Many have nothing but regional brews. The local beer is king here.

I’ve never been to the northeast, so my statements are just the impressions I’ve developed from ........hell, mostly this site.
When the northwest is discussed, beer tends to come up pretty quickly. Regardless of who is doing the talking. Even the individual states talk of microbreweries when hyping their state.

Wasteland shouldn’t have been used.

I think the overall point he was making, was just the immersion in local beer you get out here, nearly everywhere you go. Be it from around the corner or 200 miles away. The same way Napa is tied to wine, the entire northwest is tied to beer.

I have no doubt you can get good beer. I’m just questioning the regional widespread availability of it, regardless of where it comes from.

BTW, watch that diet stuff, it’ll mess with your head. Next you be taking crazy talk, drinking Coors ........and liking it!

batkins
places 78 º 13:10 Tue 5/17/2005

Originally posted by egajdzis
I lost track of whats even being argued here. Bottom line, use RateBeer before you travel, and you will not have this problem. Pretty simple.

What you said.

I think I’ve babbled/rambled enough.

Support you local/regional/favorite brewers and we’ll all be good!

billk
beers 353 º places 60 º 17:24 Tue 5/17/2005

Better it be for one to live in an area where there are maybe a dozen really good brews & a wash of macros than to live in an area where there are hundreds of so so local/regional brews and only a few macros.
disclaimer: this is just a thought of mine, even though it has NOTHING TO DO WITH THE TOPIC.

tsarman
beers 794 º places 23 º 19:47 Tue 5/17/2005

This topic is irrelevant in NJ where beer is only available at liquor stores and nowhere else. Good liquor stores throughout the state, though most places have the standard macro stuff.

DocLock
beers 11541 º places 158 º 20:08 Tue 5/17/2005

mreeves,

How far are you from Vienna? Find a Whole Foods. Also, do a thorough search in the ratebeer places section for Virginia and an hour radius from where you are. The beer is there.....you just have to find it. I think it was Sherlock Holmes who said, "Watson, your failure to find things is due not to a lack of ability to find them, but a lack of knowing where to look." At my first week in NC, I asked every workmate I met where to find beer, cigars, and titty bars. I got tons of good leads.

I hope this helps,
DocLock

Reid
beers 3528 º places 95 º 20:08 Tue 5/17/2005

Originally posted by billk
What can you get in the Seattle area that is really good? Deschutes, & Pyramid are pretty bad and Rogue (although some are good) is often not much to write home about. The East has Dogfish Head 60 & 90 IPAs and also Smuttynose IPA. Victory has some quality brews not to mention Sly Fox & McKenzies. Mirror Pond!!?? good god who drinks that stuff?

Im on your side but i took the test..local "Circle K" store.
Deschutes Black Butte and Mirror Pond, Fat Tire, Rogue Dead Guy 6ers,Full Sail IPA 6ers,Pyramid Apricot Ale,MacTs Amber and in 22 oz Arrogant Bastard and Lagunitas IPA.
Not the best beer, but if yer on swing shift and want a "good" beer at midnight on a Monday its ok.
I remember my time in the East, albeit Georgia..youd be outta luck if you even wanted a average beer!