Extreme number of ratings

Reads 9923 • Replies 124 • Started Wednesday, September 2, 2015 9:09:13 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 08:20 Tue 9/8/2015

You’ll find that most of the top raters ratings are indeed useless here if you are looking to actually glean information from them. It just beer game-ified to many of them.

At the same time, many of those users will be sure to let you know that they are very important due to their number of useless ratings. Usually the easiest way to finger a user who has no intention of writing good content.

It’s the CHF (Cold. Hard. Facts.) as we like to say around here.

Echon
beers 564 º places 12 º 08:28 Tue 9/8/2015

When I rate a beer, I usually take the time to read a couple of the other ratings, and I agree that many of the ones posted by the Top Raters By Numbers are rather uninspired, if not downright useless. Fortunately, a number of people here write inspiring rates that are worth reading. I try to learn something from them.

Hippoman
beers 645 º places 12 º 08:42 Tue 9/8/2015

Originally posted by Maakun
Originally posted by Hippoman
what use is referring to beer as tasting like malt/hops?

Here’s a sentence from one of your own reviews (but could have easily been one of mine): "Taste is surprisingly sweet with caramel malts and some floral hop."

Caramel malts and floral hops are quite generic des criptors, but often very true and for bland beers there’s often not that much more too it. I agree with Benzai though, it’s always nice to add some general impression or something, and just copying ratings should be frowned upon.

Point taken, although there was more to my review than that:

"Pours dark amber verging on brown with a scummy white head. Nose is sharp and grassy, Taste is surprisingly sweet with caramel malts and some floral hop. Quite a pleasant bitter if a little thin. I could happily session this."

While it’s by no means an inspired or hugely insightful review I gave a general impression of the characteristics that we’re asked to rate on this site (appearance, aroma, taste, palate) and conveyed my personal opinion on it, which in the case of this one was pretty positive.

I can tell from the above comments that a lot of users here see their reviews as personal record only and don’t care much about reading others. Obviously that’s fine if that’s how they like to use this site. Personally I enjoy reading other people’s reviews and like the idea of people getting something out of reading mine. While the point is totally valid that often there’s not a whole much more to comment on than something like "caramel malts and floral hop" I think sometimes people take it too far and the brevity of their reviews is to their detriment.

Travlr
beers 33910 º places 4591 º 09:19 Tue 9/8/2015

^^^ just follow people whose reviews you find useful and ignore the rest.

A lot of beer review blogs are probably better to read there’s loads of them about and they clearly want you to read them.

Hippoman
beers 645 º places 12 º 09:44 Tue 9/8/2015

Originally posted by RichTheVillan
A lot of beer review blogs are probably better to read there’s loads of them about and they clearly want you to read them.

Could you (or anyone else) recommend a good one? Preferably one more focused on UK beers.

Originally posted by Hippoman
Originally posted by RichTheVillan

Could you (or anyone else) recommend a good one? Preferably one more focused on UK beers.

http://www.theormskirkbaron.com/ this chap is pretty good he does audio reviews which are quite des criptive.

He has links to other beer bloggers on his page, some reviews are brief.

Hippoman
beers 645 º places 12 º 10:13 Tue 9/8/2015

Thanks Rich, I’ll enjoy having a poke around on there.

blipp
beers 14843 º places 219 º 10:56 Tue 9/8/2015

Folks on this site enter a wide variety of reviews, and I think all are inherently worthwhile. Everything from the 1000 word exposition to the two sentence snapshot, it’s all helpful in my eyes.

There’s something to be said for being able to effectively describe a beer to another person quickly and efficiently. I think some of the best beer des criptions we have on this website are MartinT’s "My Bottom Line" part of his rating. Often only one sentence, but usually more than enough to tell me everything I need to know about the beer he tried.

OnTheTrail
beers 1271 º places 37 º 18:58 Wed 9/9/2015

How many beers had you rated before you felt comfortable rating based on a 2 Oz sample? I have been rating less than a year, I rarely rate on less than 12 oz, never less than about 10, I don’t drink more than a 6 pack equivalent a week, so I am only up to 120 ratings, despite almost never drinking the same beer twice. I woukd like to pick up the pace a bit, without drinking more, but am not sure I can rate intlligently, to my own standards, from a small sample.