Extreme number of ratings

Reads 9926 • Replies 124 • Started Wednesday, September 2, 2015 9:09:13 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

sloth
beers 3474 º places 102 º 18:23 Thu 9/3/2015

Originally posted by MacBoost
Rate all beers from at least a 12oz pour or GTFO.

75% of my ratings are from at least a 12oz sample. The rest are from 22oz or larger.

This. Beers change a lot in the time from popping the top to taking that final sip. Takes me around a half hour to rate a beer (12oz) in the proper manner. Obviously most folks posting in this thread are in it for the numbers and that’s cool, that’s your thing. I wish I had the time to rate as most of you folks do but even if I did it would be from a full sample minimum of one. So tick on tickers and ill rate at a sloth’s pace.

EdKing
beers 3663 º places 307 º 06:15 Sun 9/6/2015

Originally posted by harrisoni
As having been around here a bit and drunk some beers, I guess I am a little unusual to the rest. I am happy to do tastings where a 500ml bottle gets rated by 15 people. Pours are pretty small. Those tastings for me are maybe 3-4 a year. I think I get a pretty decent impression of those beers. And I am happy with my reviews. If I don’t feel that I’ve had enough to make an opinion then I won’t rate it. What I know is that after about 60-70 my palate is shot so I go home. As Chriso says, wine people will do 120 cab sauvs in one morning.
What I also know is that I wouldn’t want to do that regularly. Not for enjoyment of beer. I admire and respect all of the top 20 raters, who I think I have met. They have their method, I have mine. I know I won’t survive in the top 20 raters because although I will rate 1500 new beers a year, it’s just not enough to keep up. I could do more, but I don’t want to. It doesn’t fit in with my drinking enjoyment.
In the UK, we have a thriving expanding brewery culture. So finding new beers really isn’t a problem especially if you live in or around London.
My ideal sample is something around 1/4 to 1/3 of a pint and at many beer festivals I will either drink a 1/3 pint or share a 1/4 pint with another rater. These are UK pints not US pints, so slightly bigger. I find that pour is enough to give me a significant impression of the beer.
I have the opportunity to rate more beers than I do. The fact I don’t is that I am happy averaging 3-4 new beers a day. For me that is enough .
I’d also like to go back to the day when I could walk into a supermarket, bar, beer festival, pub and just drink something because I enjoy it rather than think about whether I’ve rated it or not. I guess that’s why I have a garage full of Orval and Struise beer. Because I enjoy them.

This sums it up for me^^^^^

I realised pretty quickly that ticking isn’t really my thing. I don’t get a buzz from the numbers thing.

I get a buzz from finding/discovering a new beer that wasn’t on my radar, and then enjoying that beer regularly. Beer hunting really. I don’t really enjoy rating the beers, it kind of gets in the way of my enjoyment of the beer and the banter, but I do keep my arm in with a few hundred rates a year to keep me on the map.

But every now and again I’ll enjoy a tasting session and hanging out with the tickers, because I’ll always discover something new and get to hang out with some good people.

I am pleased that most of my ratings are from at least a half pint measure.

Gary
beers 2114 º places 4 º 06:38 Sun 9/6/2015

Originally posted by fly
Originally posted by SarkyNorthener
Danish Pints always help.

well said.

FatPhil
beers 26062 º places 995 º 12:07 Sun 9/6/2015

I’m pretty sure that my perfect lots-of-ratings-but-fair-reviews size is 125ml for me. As I almost always have an Anna with me, that’s a third pint (189ml) between us (we drink 2:1). At a recent festival I frequently concluded my rating well before the end of the glass, and move over to the other glass (we generally buy in pairs, one light, one dark), but I’d always leave space for final impressions in case the last sips or glug did offer anything new - first impressions aren’t everything. (Implying I always finish the glass, unless there’s an actual flaw; to do otherwise I consider an insult to the brewer.) However, in plenty of those beers, indeed, there was nothing more to add. So 125ml was quite often superfluously large.

However, I consider 30 to be lots of ratings in a day. I prefer not to be in the absurd-number-of-ratings zone. I’ve seen it, I’ve done it, I didn’t enjoy it. To each his own.

graziano85
beers 769 º places 16 º 16:07 Sun 9/6/2015

Originally posted by bytemesis
Some prefer to rate 1oz pours in tasting groups, some prefer to savor entire pints to arrive at a rating. Both are valid.

But for example, how is it possible to really rate the foam of a beer by pouring just two fingers (1oz) of liquid? Are you sure that is it enough to develop the proper foam, and giving then a proper rating about it?
And also the overall rating, for example I had beers that at the first sips I found it good in taste and aroma, but then somehow, for different reasons, in the end it was hard to finish the bottles, and that for me affected the Overall rating.
----
Someone talked about whiskies: that’s completely different IMO, whiskies are not made to be drunk in full glasses or full bottles (usually), it’s a drink with a different "philosophy". Also wine, it’s a different product, with different characteristics (no foam to rate, for example, exept sparkling wines).

BREWMUSKCLES
beers 3221 º places 140 º 18:53 Sun 9/6/2015

i never learned much from any of the top raters because some thought showed me the flaw in that thinking and behavior years ago. i actually never really payed much attention to anyone but a real few (austin powers,darklord, edrinkdaley ect.) ratings and i know that my ratings should not be of any big use to anyone. why would they? location maybe.

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 06:03 Mon 9/7/2015

Originally posted by graziano85
Originally posted by bytemesis
Some prefer to rate 1oz pours in tasting groups, some prefer to savor entire pints to arrive at a rating. Both are valid.

But for example, how is it possible to really rate the foam of a beer by pouring just two fingers (1oz) of liquid? Are you sure that is it enough to develop the proper foam, and giving then a proper rating about it?

If rating the foam is such a big deal you can always pour the whole bottle into one glass and divide it from there.

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 06:27 Mon 9/7/2015

Someone talked about whiskies: that’s completely different IMO, whiskies are not made to be drunk in full glasses or full bottles (usually), it’s a drink with a different "philosophy". Also wine, it’s a different product, with different characteristics (no foam to rate, for example, exept sparkling wines).

But, in the whisky & wine world there are people - often those who are professionals in the industry, competition judges etc - who make a widely accepted assessment from a smaller quantity than whatever the regular measure is. Over here the "philosophy" is probably that (most) beer is made to be drunk in pints. But I don’t hear people arguing that you can’t get a proper impression from a half pint. The issue is not really how much you have to drink to get a full impression - most would accept that more provides a better picture, even if the improvement becomes marginal as the volume increases - but whether you can get an adequate impression from a smaller quantity.

CH-303
beers 4551 º places 137 º 07:30 Mon 9/7/2015

Originally posted by SarkyNorthener
Danish Pints always help.

How many would share that?

Rasmus40
beers 34463 º places 722 º 10:03 Mon 9/7/2015

Originally posted by chriso

But, in the whisky & wine world there are people - often those who are professionals in the industry, competition judges etc - who make a widely accepted assessment from a smaller quantity than whatever the regular measure is. Over here the "philosophy" is probably that (most) beer is made to be drunk in pints. But I don’t hear people arguing that you can’t get a proper impression from a half pint. The issue is not really how much you have to drink to get a full impression - most would accept that more provides a better picture, even if the improvement becomes marginal as the volume increases - but whether you can get an adequate impression from a smaller quantity.

And what would stop somebody from saying you have to have two pints or more to properly rate a beer? Who get’s to decide which quantity is enough? How about beer temperature? Is that not just as important as quantity in making a proper rating? It’s not easy to pick up the finer point in a 5°C Imperial Stout, and many beers served at room temperature are undrinkable to me. How about the circumstances under which you drink the beer? We all know that a pale lager tastes a lot better on a summer holiday in the sun than at home in the winter.

My point is that beer rating is completely subjective, and quantity is just one factor, which may or may not influence a beer rating.