Extreme number of ratings

Reads 9927 • Replies 124 • Started Wednesday, September 2, 2015 9:09:13 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

cheap
beers 8854 º places 328 º 14:17 Thu 9/3/2015

Originally posted by Drake
Originally posted by cheap
I was always curious, if those who rated with another website, then transferred thousands to RB, or said they had a backlog, should get the same total count as a ratebeerian who was with us the whole time. The ratings transferred should count as 1/2 towards total beer count, especially if some software ap was used to transfer them all at one time......just curious. Why weren’t you with us the whole time? Should I enter the 500 beers from memory that I tried before 2006 as a backlog? We seem to be quite lenient to newbies in some respects. But, for all it’s worth, no worries, there’s no factual backup for the ratings that exist, except the honor code, anyway.

Also, not sure if a 1oz pour is valid, tho I’ve done it myself many times, especially for styles I could care less for. ’Really can’t agree that co2 & head are the same for a 1 oz pour (if you can call it that) as compared to a full glass or even 4 oz.

I’d like to think we welcome all newcomers with open arms, rather than punishing them for past mistakes.

Mistakes, heheh, agreed!

Originally posted by 77ships
After 5500+ beers I have a pretty good idea what I like & what I don’t like + what I expect from a certain style, I don’t really need a full pour especially if I am not really enjoying anything.

You didn’t know shit when you were only on the 5000 mark.

Pretty much rate a beer from its label don’t wanna get into this purchasing, pouring and drinking nonsense.

harrisoni
beers 25366 º places 68 º 15:00 Thu 9/3/2015

As having been around here a bit and drunk some beers, I guess I am a little unusual to the rest. I am happy to do tastings where a 500ml bottle gets rated by 15 people. Pours are pretty small. Those tastings for me are maybe 3-4 a year. I think I get a pretty decent impression of those beers. And I am happy with my reviews. If I don’t feel that I’ve had enough to make an opinion then I won’t rate it. What I know is that after about 60-70 my palate is shot so I go home. As Chriso says, wine people will do 120 cab sauvs in one morning.
What I also know is that I wouldn’t want to do that regularly. Not for enjoyment of beer. I admire and respect all of the top 20 raters, who I think I have met. They have their method, I have mine. I know I won’t survive in the top 20 raters because although I will rate 1500 new beers a year, it’s just not enough to keep up. I could do more, but I don’t want to. It doesn’t fit in with my drinking enjoyment.
In the UK, we have a thriving expanding brewery culture. So finding new beers really isn’t a problem especially if you live in or around London.
My ideal sample is something around 1/4 to 1/3 of a pint and at many beer festivals I will either drink a 1/3 pint or share a 1/4 pint with another rater. These are UK pints not US pints, so slightly bigger. I find that pour is enough to give me a significant impression of the beer.
I have the opportunity to rate more beers than I do. The fact I don’t is that I am happy averaging 3-4 new beers a day. For me that is enough .
I’d also like to go back to the day when I could walk into a supermarket, bar, beer festival, pub and just drink something because I enjoy it rather than think about whether I’ve rated it or not. I guess that’s why I have a garage full of Orval and Struise beer. Because I enjoy them.

77ships
beers 14200 º places 918 º 15:35 Thu 9/3/2015

Originally posted by SarkyNorthener
Originally posted by 77ships
After 5500+ beers I have a pretty good idea what I like & what I don’t like + what I expect from a certain style, I don’t really need a full pour especially if I am not really enjoying anything.

You didn’t know shit when you were only on the 5000 mark.

I still don’t know shit. I just said that I know what I like.

Theydon_Bois
admin
beers 40552 º places 1239 º 15:43 Thu 9/3/2015

Originally posted by RichTheVillan
Pretty much rate a beer from its label don’t wanna get into this purchasing, pouring and drinking nonsense.

you will learn eventually newb !

just look in a shop window and rate 150 labels at juance !!!

Originally posted by Theydon_Bois

Could this be done with an online shop?

after4ever
admin
beers 8025 º places 322 º 16:14 Thu 9/3/2015

You can do it with Ratebeer--all the tasting notes are usually right there for you already!

Travlr
beers 33910 º places 4591 º 16:30 Thu 9/3/2015

Originally posted by after4ever

You can do it with Ratebeer--all the tasting notes are usually right there for you already!
....and some people already do that. most have been sanctioned for their efforts.

stravale
beers 3336 º places 1 º 16:36 Thu 9/3/2015

I prefer 1/3 pint for a lowish abv beer (around 4%). If the beer’s not that good a 1/6 pt or less will suffice, sometimes I need the full 1/3 to make a judgement. As the abv goes up the amount I need is less - a 10% one usually only needs a sip or two.