Extreme number of ratings

Reads 9925 • Replies 124 • Started Wednesday, September 2, 2015 9:09:13 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

minutemat
beers 14700 º places 551 º 09:36 Fri 9/11/2015

Originally posted by Hippoman
Originally posted by RichTheVillan
A lot of beer review blogs are probably better to read there’s loads of them about and they clearly want you to read them.

Could you (or anyone else) recommend a good one? Preferably one more focused on UK beers.

I love Simon Williams from CAMRGB.ORG’s writings. Inventive des criptions (think 90s-era NME) and always hugely opinionated, slating as much as praising. Nice guy too.

Brigadier
beers 4930 º places 334 º 18:12 Sun 9/13/2015

Originally posted by SarkyNorthener
I’m relatively new to this site and doing my best to keep my head down, drinking and rating beer and chatting to enthusiasts about subjects I find interesting when I can. But I have to say, some reviews from the tick-heavy style raters are as good as worthless to me. I stumbled across this today:

"Cask @ Bricklayer’s Arms, Putney SW15. Pours a golden color with a small white head. Has a fruity weak citrus hoppy aroma. Fruity malty weak citrus hoppy flavor. Has a fruity malty citrus hoppy finish."

For me a review like that is pointless as it’s as bland as one can be and offers nothing to help fellow drinkers that a pump clip couldn’t.

It sounds like one of my reviews(except for the spelling mistakes, the missing U), but I haven’t drank in Putney for a good five years. For a lot of people its more a personal record than helping others.

Also the review sounds like a golden ale. It is probably just a bland review on a bland beer. When a beer exites you, the review can follow suit.

Fair enough. For me writing the review in the best way I can and choosing words to convey as much as possible of the beer drinking experience I’ve had is part of the fun. In the above example it seems like "citrus", "weak" and "fruity" were the only attempt at distinctive des cription - what use is referring to beer as tasting like malt/hops? - and those could refer to half the cask beers out there in the UK at the minute.

But, as this thread emphasises, horses for courses and each to their own.

In my (admittedly limited) experience 50% or so of British cask ales are interchangeable. Maybe there is an art to knowing when one is at its peak but I never had the time to drop by the same pubs day after day.

Generally the only time that I would question somebody’s rating would be if they started a rating for a 12% imperial stout with "Light golden body ...".

Travlr
beers 33910 º places 4591 º 19:26 Sun 9/13/2015

FatPhil
beers 26062 º places 995 º 05:36 Mon 9/14/2015

Originally posted by harrisoni
I respect how all Raters Rate and just hope they are having even half the fun that I am.

Absolutely. You just stood out as someone who I remember enjoying a wide range of gears, and also for kicking down into a lower gear whilst still stone cold sober, as that’s where you enjoyment sweet spot was.

I’m tempted to say from my perspective "awe" is an even better word than "respect" for those who are in a high gear all the time - sometime the effort is superhuman.