Next Spoons Fest

Reads 13336 • Replies 223 • Started Wednesday, September 5, 2012 1:45:49 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Finn
beers 16726 º places 788 º 04:49 Thu 11/1/2012

In the middle of the festival. 13 festival beers before noon. Not bad. The Avery is supreme so far. Finn&Rune reporting directly from the Penderel’s oak.

cgarvieuk
beers 37649 º places 457 º 05:54 Thu 11/1/2012

Originally posted by Finn
In the middle of the festival. 13 festival beers before noon. Not bad. The Avery is supreme so far. Finn&Rune reporting directly from the Penderel’s oak.

Avery is coming in at no4 for me, after DeepShaft, Moonraker and Feral

SilkTork
beers 7752 º places 111 º 08:34 Fri 11/2/2012

I’m doing OK so far. Got half of them. Titanic Golden Porter is my favourite so far. Very tasty beer, and I could help myself to a bit more of that in the next couple of weeks. The Feral is a corker. Also enjoyed Banks’s Howling Wolf - classic mild, very flavoursome, very drinkable.

I’ve not enjoyed the Avery, nor the Bath Hefe and the Steenbrugge Bruin. And I must have had some kind of mess up instead of the IjBok as it was watery and insipid, which is not how others report it. I’ll see if I can get that one again.

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 09:41 Fri 11/2/2012

So is golden porter the new black IPA?

evilempire
beers 162 º places 110 º 09:44 Fri 11/2/2012

Originally posted by Erlangernick

i did wonder... golden yes. no-one can argue it’s golden. porter though? not by a mile.

similarly, the Durham White Stout is nowt like a stout...

Leighton
beers 33735 º places 1204 º 09:54 Fri 11/2/2012

There’s nothing even vaguely reminiscent of a porter in this beer. Unless, of course, they mean porter as in a person employed to carry luggage and other loads.

Anyway, this beer is one of the lower-scoring beers of the festival for me.

SilkTork
beers 7752 º places 111 º 14:18 Fri 11/2/2012

There is a claim that it is designed to create the characteristics of a traditional porter, yet light in colour, but no indication of what they mean by "traditional porter". Whatever, the result is a good balance of juicy malt and attractive, playful citric hops. A bloody fine drinking beer. The sort of beer I enjoy and could drink all day long. I think the porter part is a tongue in cheek gimmick.

bobinlondon
beers 1298 º places 14 º 15:00 Fri 11/2/2012

Brewsters Andromeda is up there with Feral and Avery for me. Delicious!

Leighton
beers 33735 º places 1204 º 15:04 Fri 11/2/2012

Originally posted by bobinlondon
Brewsters Andromeda is up there with Feral and Avery for me. Delicious!

I had the Andromeda and I thought it was really, really floral - excessively so, in fact. Anyone else get a bit too much perfume in there, or was it just pleasantly floral? Eh.

harrisoni
beers 25368 º places 68 º 00:45 Sat 11/3/2012

Alright all you hipster dufuses, it’s the middle Saturday of a Wetherspoons beer festival so that can only mean one thing. A slightly overweight beer bumpkin from the provinces is hitting the bright lights/big city of that there London, armed only with a return train ticket, a Giant 2.5 FCR bicycle whose front brake doesn’t work very well and front light won’t stay on if you go over any excessive bumps, some beers for a couple of Norweigans, a Google map in his head of Spoons pubs, a rucksack and a heart full of hope.