RBSG ’08 Date

Reads 5159 • Replies 52 • Started Tuesday, November 13, 2007 11:40:06 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

DarkElf
beers 3497 º 20:41 Sun 12/2/2007

Originally posted by cquiroga
Originally posted by DarkElf
Originally posted by kp
We took a vote around the table today at the Strong Ale Fest and August 2nd was the popular choice.

Not only the popular choice, but a date that worked well for Pizza Port, who will be hosting our Grand Tasting.

However, I asked you guys if there was a schedule conflict with any other festival (the answer was "no") but as it turns out, that’s the same weekend as the festival up at Mammoth....

Yeah, I think I mentioned it to John that for this reason and this reason alone, I think August 9th is the better date. From what I hear, those weekends are about equal in every other way for all parties involved, except I get the feeling some of our NorCal brothers might be conflicted enough not to make it down for the 2nd, whereas they’re very likely to come on the 9th.

We all talked about this on Saturday. The issue is that Tomme specifically told us that the 2nd weekend wasn’t good, and since Port is hosting our Grand Tasting, I think we need to accommodate them. Hence why most people picked the first weekend -- not good for JohnC :( And the 3rd weekend was deemed to be too late in the summer.

cquiroga
beers 371 º places 11 º 00:53 Mon 12/3/2007

We all talked about this on Saturday. The issue is that Tomme specifically told us that the 2nd weekend wasn’t good, and since Port is hosting our Grand Tasting, I think we need to accommodate them. Hence why most people picked the first weekend -- not good for JohnC :( And the 3rd weekend was deemed to be too late in the summer.

Just to keep things clear, could you refer to the weekends by dates rather than as 1st/2nd/3rd?

And again for clarity, when John (wetherel) and I spoke about this a couple of weeks ago, we had it narrowed down to three possibilities that we would take to the major players/hosts for final consideration: June 21st-23rd, August 1st-3rd, and August 8th-10th. John contacted Jeff Bagby and Gina from Pizza Port-Carlsbad as well as Greg from Stone, and I contacted Peter from AleSmith and Tomme from Lost Abbey. Nobody had any direct conflicts, but several people mentioned a slight problem with the Del Mar Fair beer judging taking place on June 21st, so I figured we would scratch that possibility.

Now I’m assuming you mean to say that Tomme told you that the weekend of August 1st-3rd wasn’t good. Not that I’m disagreeing with what you’re saying, because I know things come up and plans change and all of that, but Tomme specifically told me of the dates August 1st-3rd that,

"Probably my best chance for success is here. I would have to wager that this weekend holds the most promise for me AND, I don’t think I can recall anything going on around then."

So despite that, I would have leaned toward the weekend of August 8th-10th anyway, because nobody had any direct conflicts then (although one of the parties had a personal thing on the 11th that might have some bearing on the weekend, but still said it was the second-best weekend), and as I said before, some hopeful NorCalers (and even some hardcore SoCalers) might have planned to go to the Mammoth Blues and Beerapalooza event which is on the weekend of August 1st-3rd next year. I’d like to avoid obvious conflicts with other nearby regional events like that. But that’s just my suggestion. I’m open to any of the three weekends (and probably pretty much any weekend all summer)-- I just wanted to give the most people the best shot at making it out here, and have our lil’ RBSG on the best dates that work for the brewers/hosts that have so graciously offered their support.

So would anyone care to elucidate the latest conflicts and determinations if you were at the Strong Ale Fest on Saturday to partake in that conversation? Can we make a final call on the dates for the RBSG? I think the sooner we nail it down and tell all of those hosts, the better. Then we can obviously start to get some firm commitments from them and talk about how all of the final plans are going to fit together.

aspidites
beers 1271 º places 1 º 01:06 Mon 12/3/2007

Originally posted by kp
We took a vote around the table today at the Strong Ale Fest and August 2nd was the popular choice.

Not only the popular choice, but a date that worked well for Pizza Port, who will be hosting our Grand Tasting.

However, I asked you guys if there was a schedule conflict with any other festival (the answer was "no") but as it turns out, that’s the same weekend as the festival up at Mammoth....

Yeah, I think I mentioned it to John that for this reason and this reason alone, I think August 9th is the better date. From what I hear, those weekends are about equal in every other way for all parties involved, except I get the feeling some of our NorCal brothers might be conflicted enough not to make it down for the 2nd, whereas they’re very likely to come on the 9th.

August 9th-10th is most likely going to be the Bistro IPA fest. Some of the So-Cal brewers will most likely come up for it and most of us Nor-Cal guys will be attending.

cquiroga
beers 371 º places 11 º 01:25 Mon 12/3/2007

Hmmm. . . Well, that sucks. I think those were the dates that seemed best from our early discussions, but if BOTH of those August weekends have a NorCal conflict, we could either go back to the ol’ drawing board (maybe pick a weekend in late May???) or just pick one of the August weekends and grin and bear the conflict.

And from re-reading DarkElf’s post above, it sounds like he’s talking about "the 1st weekend" and "2nd weekend" as the first and second weekends IN AUGUST meaning August 1st-3rd and 8th-10th, respectively. So I guess that’s saying Tomme or the Pizza Port guys has a conflict on the 8th-10th weekend, which might put our #1 choice between those two back on the August 1st-3rd dates. And, again, that conflicts with Mammoth. But is it hereby decreed that we’re just going to go ahead and conflict with Mammoth and deal with whatever consequences stem from that? I don’t think it’s *that* big of a deal, especially when the other alternative is that we conflict with Bistro’s IPA fest and basically eliminate most of the same people. Sucks, but nothing is going to work for *everybody.*

Mike and the NorCalers, I do still hope you can make it. Hopefully you can miss Mammoth this one year.

TAR
beers 2821 º places 34 º 01:47 Mon 12/3/2007

I plan on attending, but will be unable if it’s late June. I’ll be in Europe June 20-26. August would be ideal for me. As if anything I have to say makes a difference. *shrugs*

aspidites
beers 1271 º places 1 º 02:48 Mon 12/3/2007

Hmmm. . . Well, that sucks. I think those were the dates that seemed best from our early discussions, but if BOTH of those August weekends have a NorCal conflict, we could either go back to the ol’ drawing board (maybe pick a weekend in late May???) or just pick one of the August weekends and grin and bear the conflict.

And from re-reading DarkElf’s post above, it sounds like he’s talking about "the 1st weekend" and "2nd weekend" as the first and second weekends IN AUGUST meaning August 1st-3rd and 8th-10th, respectively. So I guess that’s saying Tomme or the Pizza Port guys has a conflict on the 8th-10th weekend, which might put our #1 choice between those two back on the August 1st-3rd dates. And, again, that conflicts with Mammoth. But is it hereby decreed that we’re just going to go ahead and conflict with Mammoth and deal with whatever consequences stem from that? I don’t think it’s *that* big of a deal, especially when the other alternative is that we conflict with Bistro’s IPA fest and basically eliminate most of the same people. Sucks, but nothing is going to work for *everybody.*

Mike and the NorCalers, I do still hope you can make it. Hopefully you can miss Mammoth this one year.

Much rather miss Mammoth than the IPA fest.

DarkElf
beers 3497 º 23:22 Mon 12/3/2007

And from re-reading DarkElf’s post above, it sounds like he’s talking about "the 1st weekend" and "2nd weekend" as the first and second weekends IN AUGUST meaning August 1st-3rd and 8th-10th, respectively. So I guess that’s saying Tomme or the Pizza Port guys has a conflict on the 8th-10th weekend, which might put our #1 choice between those two back on the August 1st-3rd dates.

That’s exactly what I was trying to say. I was referring to weekends #1, #2 and #3 because that’s how we were referring to them at the festival. It made sense to us, but obviously not for those who weren’t part of the discussion...

And, again, that conflicts with Mammoth. But is it hereby decreed that we’re just going to go ahead and conflict with Mammoth and deal with whatever consequences stem from that? I don’t think it’s *that* big of a deal, especially when the other alternative is that we conflict with Bistro’s IPA fest and basically eliminate most of the same people. Sucks, but nothing is going to work for *everybody.*

Agreed, it’s settled. And though we forgot about Mammoth and the Bistro festivals when we were discussing the dates, it really didn’t matter because the first weekend in August was the only one that really worked for Tomme and gang.

So, let’s get the formal planning rolling! Mike and a few others were expressing a desire to book their reservations now. If you guys need me to do anything, let me know.

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 23:44 Mon 12/3/2007

So what is the final decision on the exact dates? I want to book my flight early.

wetherel
beers 6377 º places 689 º 23:44 Mon 12/3/2007

August 1st-3rd! Woohoo.

DYCSoccer17
beers 3746 º places 344 º 23:51 Mon 12/3/2007

Originally posted by wetherel
August 1st-3rd! Woohoo.

Is this official?

I’m game no matter which weekend or beer festival conflicts there may be.