UK beer scene

Reads 48906 • Replies 403 • Started Thursday, August 26, 2010 3:40:49 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

harrisoni
beers 25357 º places 68 º 05:24 Mon 11/1/2010

Originally posted by AndrewC

Personally I think you need to have a session of a beer that’s only 3-5% ABV to know what it’s like.

Arh well Andrew it is clearly your browser that is selective.

AndrewC
beers 407 º places 1 º 05:37 Mon 11/1/2010

Originally posted by harrisoni
Originally posted by AndrewC

Personally I think you need to have a session of a beer that’s only 3-5% ABV to know what it’s like.

Arh well Andrew it is clearly your browser that is selective.

Well, that opinion is kind of the same as...

"you can only know a 3-5% ABV beer intimately if you drink a lot of it, over a long period of time"

...isn’t it?

Even if you think it’s a substantially different point it still can’t be interpreted as me saying...

* I know Salopian Golden Thread intimately, or
* that I give every beer and brewery a chance, or
* that I don’t pass judgement after only a third of a pint, or
* that there’s no validity in opinions based on only a third of a pint.

...and when, in any of my posts above, was I slagging off ratebeer or ratebeerians (which is what your second to last post implied)?

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 06:19 Mon 11/1/2010

I guess beers are a lot like people. There are plenty I know well enough for my purposes but have absolutely no inclination to know intimately.

wigglyworm99
beers 2091 º places 53 º 06:24 Mon 11/1/2010

Originally posted by chriso
I guess beers are a lot like people. There are plenty I know well enough for my purposes but have absolutely no inclination to know intimately.

That is a piece of genius.

wigglyworm99
beers 2091 º places 53 º 06:24 Mon 11/1/2010

Originally posted by dynamiteninja

That is a piece of genius.

ps: if that sounds sarcastic then blame the internet! I was sincere.

AndrewC
beers 407 º places 1 º 09:18 Mon 11/1/2010

I am rarely insulted so eloquently.

Christian
beers 17313 º places 278 º 10:33 Mon 11/22/2010

You know what?
I’m currently reading Martyn Cornell’s The Story Of The Pint, and it occurred to me that CAMRA has been fighting for nearly 40 years to save a beer tradition that was 50 years old (at the most) when they started the movement. Isn’t it a bit ironic?

One quote from 1890 especially amused me: "...Our old friend the porter, with its sombre hue and foaming head, is no longer the pet of fashion, but a bright and sparkling bitter, the colour of sherry and the condition of champagne..."

Don’t say that British beer has to be flat and filled to the brim of the glass with no head!

tdtm82
beers 1704 º places 138 º 10:39 Mon 11/22/2010

Originally posted by ChristianScheffel
You know what?
I’m currently reading Martyn Cornell’s The Story Of The Pint, and it occurred to me that CAMRA has been fighting for nearly 40 years to save a beer tradition that was 50 years old (at the most) when they started the movement. Isn’t it a bit ironic?

One quote from 1890 especially amused me: "...Our old friend the porter, with its sombre hue and foaming head, is no longer the pet of fashion, but a bright and sparkling bitter, the colour of sherry and the condition of champagne..."

Don’t say that British beer has to be flat and filled to the brim of the glass with no head!

That quote is from a literal genius. Why don’t we read writing like that anymore?? Awesome.

tdtm82
beers 1704 º places 138 º 10:45 Mon 11/22/2010

Originally posted by ChristianScheffel
You know what?

Christian, have you had the Kernel Export 1890? It’s a beer, a stout may one add, that is from this era and based on a recipe of that era. I hope you can try it sometime but it’s astounding. Nothing flat or boring at all. Also post war a lot of beers were reduced in abv; reduced with ingredients for budgeting reasons. The post war-depression era changed a lot for some styles; especially milds. It’s fascinating.

Christian
beers 17313 º places 278 º 11:13 Mon 11/22/2010

Originally posted by tdtm82
Christian, have you had the Kernel Export 1890? It’s a beer, a stout may one add, that is from this era and based on a recipe of that era. I hope you can try it sometime but it’s astounding. Nothing flat or boring at all. Also post war a lot of beers were reduced in abv; reduced with ingredients for budgeting reasons. The post war-depression era changed a lot for some styles; especially milds. It’s fascinating.

I haven’t had the 1890 stout, but it sounds interesting. I haven’t been in London since GBBF 2009, so that explains it.

It’s the ABV reduction in particular that made me say that CAMRA was fighting for a tradition only 50 years old. But I guess it helped that the people who downed pints of 7% bitter didn’t have to cross any motorized traffic on their way home :)