What’s on the go?

Reads 11742 • Replies 102 • Started Friday, February 13, 2015 7:18:04 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

CLevar
places 23 º 16:33 Tue 5/26/2015

Originally posted by GarethYoung
Got that gose fired-up. Kettle-soured, coriander and salt, then fermented with a mix of Trois and DB-24 in primary. It’s gaun like the clappers now. I’ve got high hopes it will be delicious.

Sounds fantastic.

VsXsV
beers 5000 º places 92 º 16:36 Tue 5/26/2015

Got that gose fired-up. Kettle-soured, coriander and salt, then fermented with a mix of Trois and DB-24 in primary. It’s gaun like the clappers now. I’ve got high hopes it will be delicious.

What’s DB-24?

Kegged my soured Grisette earlier tonight, dry hopped it with Wakatu for 5 days before. Ended up at 1004, just as I intended. @3.6% ABV. Might throw in some more dry hops in the keg. Will be really interesting to see how it tastes with carbonation. Ended up nicely sour.

drowland
beers 11069 º places 430 º 18:14 Tue 5/26/2015

Transferred a pale ale onto dry hops today and a saison onto lemongrass paste, fresh mint, and dry hop. Will get kegged Thursday to condition for a week until both kegs head to a beach trip.

HaStuMiteZen99
beers 1111 º places 27 º 03:28 Wed 5/27/2015

Originally posted by VsXsV

What’s DB-24?

Kegged my soured Grisette earlier tonight, dry hopped it with Wakatu for 5 days before. Ended up at 1004, just as I intended. @3.6% ABV. Might throw in some more dry hops in the keg. Will be really interesting to see how it tastes with carbonation. Ended up nicely sour.

It’s a strain of German brettanomyces I bought from Weihenstephan Yeast Bank. It was isolated from a Berliner Weisse brewery in the 1960’s.

HornyDevil
05:56 Wed 5/27/2015

What’s DB-24?

It’s a strain of German brettanomyces I bought from Weihenstephan Yeast Bank. It was isolated from a Berliner Weisse brewery in the 1960’s.

Which one?

HaStuMiteZen99
beers 1111 º places 27 º 06:43 Wed 5/27/2015

Originally posted by HornyDevil

What’s DB-24?

Which one?

I don’t know - the guy didn’t say. I’d need to check my emails with the guy, but I think I asked and he didn’t answer. I think it’s fairly common for yeast banks not to give the exact source of their yeast. I’ll have a look at the emails I sent and maybe send another one asking more specifically.

CLevar
places 23 º 06:47 Wed 5/27/2015

Ooh, might have to get that from you in another yeast swap!

VsXsV
beers 5000 º places 92 º 07:19 Wed 5/27/2015

That sounds really interesting. Have you used it before? What kind of results does it give?

HaStuMiteZen99
beers 1111 º places 27 º 07:36 Wed 5/27/2015

I’ve emailed the guy to see if he’ll tell me the exact source.

Caleb: Sure! I’ll send you a vial once I’ve got enough cultured-up.

VsXsV: I’ve used it once in a Berliner Weisse. It’s nice, and quite distinctive - it doesn’t taste like any other strain I’ve used. Fleshy pear notes, a litle bit of citrus and some quite mild, dusty, cellary funk. The Berliner Weisse isn’t that old yet, so we’ll see how it develops. Going to do lots of experimenting with it over the next while.

HaStuMiteZen99
beers 1111 º places 27 º 02:38 Thu 5/28/2015

Apparently it’s unclear which specific brewery the yeast is from.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer