What’s on the go?

Reads 11747 • Replies 102 • Started Friday, February 13, 2015 7:18:04 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

joeneugs
beers 6372 º places 240 º 21:33 Mon 6/22/2015

Brewing a 10 gallon batch of Schwarzbier this weekend. I’m going with the slightly out of style recipe in Brewing Classic Styles since this is my first attempt at the style. 5 gallons will be hopped traditionally, the other 5 gallons will be a single hop all Polaris beer. Looking forward to tasting the results in about 3 months or so.

Homer321
beers 5369 º places 54 º 05:25 Tue 6/23/2015

Originally posted by CLevar
Yesterday, MatSciGuy and I brewed ~35 gal of Gose, which is currently fermenting with the plantarum plus brevis blend from Omega yeast I just ranted about in the other thread. It will get a big slug of Hefe yeast tomorrow AM. Looking forward to having a lot of this to drink this summer, even if it may not get as tart as I wanted it to.

Any update on how the plantarum worked out? Did it drop the pH sufficiently in a couple of days?

Also, why hefe yeast? I was planning on pitching Wyeast 1056 48 hours after lacto pitch.

CLevar
places 23 º 06:41 Tue 6/23/2015

Originally posted by Homer321
Yesterday, MatSciGuy and I brewed ~35 gal of Gose, which is currently fermenting with the plantarum plus brevis blend from Omega yeast I just ranted about in the other thread. It will get a big slug of Hefe yeast tomorrow AM. Looking forward to having a lot of this to drink this summer, even if it may not get as tart as I wanted it to.

Any update on how the plantarum worked out? Did it drop the pH sufficiently in a couple of days?

Also, why hefe yeast? I was planning on pitching Wyeast 1056 48 hours after lacto pitch.

Have not sampled yet. I believe that MatSciGuy will this weekend.

Hefe yeast was picked for two reasons- 1) I’ve really enjoyed the character of Lactobac 5 and Lactobac 6 from Fair State, both fermented with Hefe yeast, and 2) Niko at Fair State gave us 750 ml of a gen 7 slurry, which is much easier than growing up enough yeast for 1bbl of beer.

Homer321
beers 5369 º places 54 º 07:49 Tue 6/23/2015

Did you boil a few days after the lacto pitch?

CLevar
places 23 º 09:05 Tue 6/23/2015

Nope. Just gave the LAB a few days head start, then the yeast was pitched. We really don’t have a way to boil 1bbl

hezron
beers 614 º places 26 º 20:54 Mon 6/29/2015

Yo, long time no post. Maybe 6 or 7 years?! I still recognize some usernames. I’m back at the brewing thing after having 3 kids. Just kegged a saison with Santium hops and 3711. Next up is a saison with 3711 and Jolly Pumpkin dregs. Then I’ll its a kettle sour with 3711 and no hops except dry hop with fresh centennial from my back yard. Bring on the funk, I’m tired of drinking two hearted and moon man all the time!

fiulijn
beers 28318 º places 745 º 00:05 Tue 6/30/2015

picobatch of Ice Cider, first try, unpastorized generic apple juice directly from the farm, 1.130 OG, Riesling yeast

Don’t know if it will be a trainwreck or drinkable, but it’s a very funny thing to brew :-)

I’m thinking of throwing in some pectin for jams to clarify a bit; I heard about it, but has anybody ever used pectin?

CLevar
places 23 º 06:58 Tue 6/30/2015

I don’t think it’s pectin you want to add, as that’s often what causes haze. I have heard of people adding pectinase (an enzyme that breaks down pectin and should remove the cloudiness associated with pectin), but I have never done this. Worth spending some time researching!

fiulijn
beers 28318 º places 745 º 21:27 Tue 6/30/2015

I don’t think it’s pectin you want to add, as that’s often what causes haze. I have heard of people adding pectinase (an enzyme that breaks down pectin and should remove the cloudiness associated with pectin), but I have never done this. Worth spending some time researching!

what else is suggested for a fruit wine?

drowland
beers 11069 º places 430 º 09:22 Wed 7/1/2015

Ordered everything to make a double IPA next week sometime. A visiting friend requested I make a clone of Great Lakes Chillwave, so I did some research and am going to make what is probably a hoppier, even more Mosaic forward beer than theirs, though it’s been years since I’ve had it.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer