What’s on the go?

Reads 11745 • Replies 102 • Started Friday, February 13, 2015 7:18:04 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

dchmela
beers 3095 º places 108 º 12:46 Wed 7/1/2015

I have family coming in at the end of the month, so I am brewing up a simple Bitter/Mild tomorrow. Pale malt, a little crystal, oats, Goldings hops and S-04. Should have it fermented out over the weekend, condition and keg. Should be a tasty session beer for the summer.

drowland
beers 11069 º places 430 º 07:10 Thu 7/2/2015

Every now and then lately, on a couple batches, people have been telling me they get a slight banana sensation even though I’m using 001 and keeping the temp cool (66-ish, I’d say). Online searches seem to suggest some sort of yeast straining from lack of starter, lack of oxygenation, or wrong temps. I know I have the temps right, and I make a 2000mL starter, but all I do for oxy is shake the carboy... I do get lazy and sometimes do a stirplate and sometimes not, so there’s that.

Thoughts?

drowland
beers 11069 º places 430 º 10:24 Fri 7/10/2015

Originally posted by drowland
Every now and then lately, on a couple batches, people have been telling me they get a slight banana sensation even though I’m using 001 and keeping the temp cool (66-ish, I’d say). Online searches seem to suggest some sort of yeast straining from lack of starter, lack of oxygenation, or wrong temps. I know I have the temps right, and I make a 2000mL starter, but all I do for oxy is shake the carboy... I do get lazy and sometimes do a stirplate and sometimes not, so there’s that.

Thoughts?

Bump.

CLevar
places 23 º 18:49 Fri 7/10/2015

Do you get that character?

Maybe they have no palate.

drowland
beers 11069 º places 430 º 06:56 Sat 7/11/2015

Originally posted by CLevar
Do you get that character?

Maybe they have no palate.

Not at first but after they tell me I find myself saying "Hmmm, maybe there is some..."

Th strawberry blonde I made one person went so far as to say it tasted like a strawberry banana smoothie. I didn’t get that much for sure, but if people are getting it, I’d like to fix it!

temporrari
beers 400 º places 12 º 18:51 Sat 7/11/2015

If it were me I might switch to a different strain and see what happens. US-05, maybe use two packs just to be sure you get your cell counts. I never do anything to oxygenate beyond pouring it from the brew pot, and stirring after pouring in the yeast for about 20 seconds. I guess I also do stir quite a bit while it’s cooling.

drowland
beers 11069 º places 430 º 21:29 Sat 7/11/2015

I usually use WL001 with a 2000mL starter, sometimes with a stir plate, sometimes not.

CLevar
places 23 º 18:44 Sun 7/12/2015

Pretty big weekend for MatSciGuy and I-

5x10gal batches of dark sour (currently fermenting in a freshly emptied red wine barrel, 4th beer we have put in there)
10 gal of a black ale fermenting on a gen 2 yeast cake
10 gal of black ale racked to a whiskey barrel with buckwheat honey (the additional beer will be used to top the barrel up further)
5 gal of sour cherry imperial porter bottled
5 gal of barrel aged rye saison bottled.
5 gal of a barrel aged sour beer racked onto black raspberries
5 gal of a barrel aged sour beer racked onto dragonfruit (Thanks Homer!)
40 gal of a "Hoppy Hefe" (Not really...only 20% wheat) raked to kegs and carboys.
40 gal of a barrel aged sour beer racked to our pharmaceutical tank so we could free up the barrel.

Jesus...that looks like a lot when written down

ekoerper
beers 599 º places 39 º 19:49 Sun 7/12/2015

Cold crashing the first dry hopping of a ~4% abv pale ale loaded with Galaxy.

Brewed a triple batch of a light Czech lager - shooting for ~3.5% abv, loaded with Saaz. Two fermenters on WLP833, and the third with a Hill Farmstead culture that I use occasionally for saisons.

italarican
beers 1548 º places 115 º 20:24 Sun 7/12/2015

Bottled a flanders red and reused a portion of the roeselare to ferment a sour porter. This will be the third go around with this yeast.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer