A few of us knew it... Cleveland one of America’s best beer cities

Reads 2674 • Replies 47 • Started Tuesday, October 2, 2012 1:11:40 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

JoeMcPhee
beers 12092 º places 543 º 07:28 Sun 10/7/2012

My top five

Portland
San Francisco
San Diego
New York
Chicago

I need to check out the Ashville scene in the next few years because everything I read makes it sound awesome. The places outside of downtown Cleveland were pretty cool, but having to drive so far makes it tough to do a proper crawl there and would definitely preclude it from making one of my top spots.

miketd
beers 5 º places 125 º 13:15 Sun 10/7/2012

Originally posted by JoeMcPhee
My top five

Portland
San Francisco
San Diego
New York
Chicago

I need to check out the Ashville scene in the next few years because everything I read makes it sound awesome. The places outside of downtown Cleveland were pretty cool, but having to drive so far makes it tough to do a proper crawl there and would definitely preclude it from making one of my top spots.

Joe,

Of your top 5, only Portland and New York have many of the destinations bunched together. But I agree Cleveland does have a spread out scene for the most part.

My top 5 in no order:

New York
San Fran
San Diego
Portland
Last one is probably a tie between several places

rudolf
beers 2359 º places 104 º 15:26 Sun 10/7/2012

Having just visited both NYC & Cleveland I can say that the bottle shops in Cleveland trump those in NYC. New beer & whole foods have great selections but they didn’t touch what I saw at lizardville yesterday.

I’m sure that some of this interpretation is the obvious overlap in availability between NYC and my home town of buffalo, but even looking past that the selection in Cleveland seems better.

NYC seems to have more events.

Fwiw (and to add fuel to the fire) tap lists at buffalo’s better beer bars (blue monk, Cole’s) seem to regularly be more interesting than those in NYC (blind tiger, rattle n hum, gingerman) unless there is a special event keg from Hill or something like that In NYC..

-Rudy

fiver29
beers 1112 º places 52 º 13:54 Fri 10/19/2012

Here’s a pretty good article on this very subject matter. Only reason I bring it back up is was published this week. Last paragraph is probably my favorite.

Enjoy.......

http://www.clevescene.com/cleveland/all-the-right-notes/Content?oid=3076268

b33r
beers 891 º places 12 º 23:23 Thu 10/25/2012

Cleveland has crazy amazing beer- the problem is when certain breweries get a little too confident and charge retarded amounts for their random releases (cough hopping frog cough cough)

zdk
beers 1917 º places 96 º 08:39 Fri 10/26/2012

Originally posted by rudolf
NYC seems to have more events.

Fwiw (and to add fuel to the fire) tap lists at buffalo’s better beer bars (blue monk, Cole’s) seem to regularly be more interesting than those in NYC (blind tiger, rattle n hum, gingerman) unless there is a special event keg from Hill or something like that In NYC..

-Rudy

Fair enough. A place like Bling Tiger won’t have many rare beers if there’s no event. However, this bar alone as an event almost every week and often more than 1 per week. On almost any given day you can find an event with some hard-to-find beer (even if you have to go into Brooklyn or something). I’m sure places like SF and Philly have this feature too, but even in the past few years of being on ratebeer, I’ve gone from being able to hit most of the major events in NYC to not even bothering to try. The scene is just exploding here.

Though I have to agree with the sort of ho-hum bottle shops here.

Unclerudy
beers 30 º places 3 º 10:23 Fri 10/26/2012

Grand Rapids anyone? Or dare I say metro Detroit? Detroit has a lot of very good breweries, but no where near each other.

But back to Grand Rapids. Founders, Hopcat, Schmoes, Brewery Vivant, Arcadia, New Holland, the Beer Exchange to name a few, plus random beer bars and bottle shops and up and coming breweries.