Anyone doing their rounds in Berlin these days?

Reads 1766 • Replies 20 • Started Monday, December 28, 2015 5:33:23 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

BeerViking
beers 9209 º places 134 º 08:34 Wed 1/6/2016

Originally posted by Erlangernick
And then the TeKu glasses. EVERYTHING has to be served in one.

Have to confess I quite like them - the main reason I hardly ever use the two I have is the damn things are too tall for our dishwasher. Sometimes idiot designers forget the simplest things...

davidtjm
beers 1074 º places 47 º 10:42 Wed 1/6/2016

Originally posted by bartlebier
Now locals like Heidenpeters and Braukunstkeller are making you pay €3 for indeed training wheels IPAs and stout

I have to disagree with that. I’ve had some spectacular stouts and IPAs on tap at Heidenpeters in the Markthalle. When they’re fresh and on tap, they’re the real deal, although I can’t say that the same always applies to the bottled versions. In my experience, some of the specials are quite good whereas some are a bit off-balance but still enjoyable.

bartlebier
beers 4526 º places 177 º 11:02 Wed 1/6/2016

Originally posted by davidtjm
Originally posted by bartlebier
Now locals like Heidenpeters and Braukunstkeller are making you pay €3 for indeed training wheels IPAs and stout

I have to disagree with that. I’ve had some spectacular stouts and IPAs on tap at Heidenpeters in the Markthalle. When they’re fresh and on tap, they’re the real deal, although I can’t say that the same always applies to the bottled versions. In my experience, some of the specials are quite good whereas some are a bit off-balance but still enjoyable.

Agree with the stuff on tap, the same goes for Vagabund: very decent and serving an obvious purpose at the source.

Once German craft breweries start bottling though, alot is lost: the only exception so far in my experience has been Kehrwieder, but theirs are among the consistently expensive one-offs, setting a precedent for IPAs of €2,99 instead of a maximum 2,50 as was still the standard last year.

It just doesn’t make sense, as you can get decent IPAs in the US near the source for about €1,50/bottle, or $10-12/6pack: you’d expect a German IPA brewed with (mainly) locally sourced hops like Kehrwieder Saphir would translate some of that stay local ethic in a less exotic price tag now and then. I think they are mainly trying to earn themselves respect for their brands, aka "Wertigkeit erzeugen", with the results that there now is that desorienting €2/bottle chasm between a world class, whole-cone local Pils like Elzacher Löwenpils and even my more local craft options.

Funny also how "first generation De craft" Hopfenstopfer’s €1,45 Citra and Incredible PA is a lonely exception, his early adopter-recipes now already seeming a bit outdated, his labels remaining almost defiantly low-key and homebrewy.

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 11:54 Wed 1/6/2016

Good call on Hopfenstopfer, first generation and all that. Met the lad, and was surprised he’s not been to the US. But I can’t really stand his beers, because of the way too fruity yeast and the sedimentation. And he says he’s contractually oblidged to use that yeast.

Wertigkeit erzeugen. Yes, make money. When you can, why not? This will have to evolve though. I think.

There is a 6€ / sixpack 33cl pale ale that is really quite, quite good, and I’m not going to betray its name because I want to see it stay at 6€.

BlackHaddock
beers 15453 º places 1053 º 08:46 Mon 1/11/2016

Thanks for the up-date on the Berlin beer scene: I am back in the city over ’Green Week’ but will be too busy to meet anybody. I love ’Green Week’, eating and drinking around the World. I try to visit every two years.

In 2014 we hit many bars within the city also (as usual): ’Weiss-Blau’ got our vote as the ’best new-comer’ beer wise. Yes, I know the beers are not local but we liked the selection, prices and the vibe of the place. I look forward to trying more new places and beers in a week or so: this thread has helped me plan some of the drinking I intend to do.

<*))))))><

Travlr
beers 33887 º places 4585 º 09:35 Mon 1/11/2016

I will also be back in the city, but probably only for a day or a day and a half, to join Sebastian Sauer at an event at Castle Pub on 6 Feb. We may do a pub crawl as well. Details to follow!

bartlebier
beers 4526 º places 177 º 11:01 Thu 1/21/2016

Btw the Brewbaker Jahrgangsweisse 2015 (75cL, bb2035 )is pretty tasty, lots of wheat flavour, medium tart. Only apparently easier to get hold of in Braustelle-operated stores in Köln than in Berlin...
(at least I didn’t run into any big bottles during my scouting week there).
Berlin needs a few Sebastian Sauers to spread the new BWeisse word...

bartlebier
beers 4526 º places 177 º 09:07 Sun 4/17/2016

It would be nice to see a more lively German forum and maybe recruit some more active DE-based RBians to keep up with the booming scene in Berlin, HH and München.
Reference: the German craft threads on BA (60 pages and counting).

That way we’d maybe have a Milchsäure chance at entering a German bid for RBESG 2017. Yes, Germany has never been a centralised state like France and Berlin is not yet London beerwise. But it can’t be that we expats at the provincial fringes are the only ones organising RB meetings...

pivnizub
beers 12929 º places 633 º 00:40 Tue 4/19/2016

Try "Foerster’s Feine Biere" in Steglitz. Very nice selection of TRADITIONAL german beers (e.g. Fiege Pils vom Fass, Schönramer Pils, Uerige, Schumacher and so on), smaller selection of mostly evitable "craft" beers. Very friendly staff, they do know a lot about their beers. Higly recommended, if You want to enjoy Your pivo, not if You are craving for new ticks.....

JoeinDahlem
beers 1664 º places 356 º 05:50 Tue 4/19/2016

Originally posted by pivnizub
Try "Foerster’s Feine Biere" in Steglitz. Very nice selection of TRADITIONAL german beers (e.g. Fiege Pils vom Fass, Schönramer Pils, Uerige, Schumacher and so on), smaller selection of mostly evitable "craft" beers. Very friendly staff, they do know a lot about their beers. Higly recommended, if You want to enjoy Your pivo, not if You are craving for new ticks.....

My favorite place in town, and I can walk there. If anyone else gets there and wants to meet up, drop me a line and I’ll always try.