Bad St. Louis Place Entries

Reads 2585 • Replies 27 • Started Thursday, October 20, 2011 2:49:45 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

phaleslu
admin
beers 16557 º places 794 º 14:49 Thu 10/20/2011

So I went to add Bailey’s Range to Places a few minutes ago and was disappointed to see the low level of Places being entered as legitimate beer places in St. Louis:

Amigo Joe’s
Old Rock House
Olympia Kebab House
Pop’s Blue Moon Bar
Selam Ethiopian Restaurant

Sure, these places sell beer, but that’s about it. Amigo Joe’s has a few Mexican and American macros. Olympia Kebab house has a few macros and the worst Greek beers. These are way, way below standards for what RB counts as a beer Place and I’ve asked for them to be deleted. Just selling a local or two does not count for listing; Schlafly has hundreds of local accounts and the area is running out of places without it- that doesn’t make every place a beer destination. It’s also tough to tell who is entering them because there are no ratings for them.

I personally don’t feel Seamus McDaniel’s deserves to be listed, either, and Llywellyn’s is about as borderline as it gets to warrant a listing. I’ve seen places like Shop ’N Save and other garbage listed for other suburbs around the city, too.

Anyway, if the rest of the locals could help in getting these places purged from the site, that would be much appreciated. The last thing I’d want is for a traveling beer seeker to actually go to one of them for beer.

Cheers!

phaleslu
admin
beers 16557 º places 794 º 14:50 Thu 10/20/2011

Also, did Cabin Inn at City Museum reopen? Someone just entered it and it closed over a year ago. I’ll look into that one.

gregwilsonstl
beers 2979 º places 37 º 12:56 Wed 11/9/2011

I’m a new user and am confused. Selem is a great place to get a couple hard to find brews. Are you trying to differentiate between beers made in st. louis and ones not? I consider Selem a beer destination.

phaleslu
admin
beers 16557 º places 794 º 13:31 Wed 11/9/2011

Originally posted by gregwilsonstl
I’m a new user and am confused. Selem is a great place to get a couple hard to find brews. Are you trying to differentiate between beers made in st. louis and ones not? I consider Selem a beer destination.

Such as? It’s been a while, but I didn’t think there was anything "hard to find" that made it worth listing here.

It doesn’t matter where the beers they sell were made; to be in the Places section here, it should be a worthy beer destination. Think of it this way: if you wouldn’t recommend it to someone visiting from out of town looking for beer (like the dozens of other places in the area that you could reasonably recommend for someone looking for good beer), then it isn’t worth listing here.

The places I listed that were entered here, like Olympia and Amigo Joe’s, are far from being worthy beer destinations by any standard.

phaleslu
admin
beers 16557 º places 794 º 13:35 Wed 11/9/2011

jckp64
beers 356 º places 7 º 13:36 Wed 11/9/2011

The cabin inn is no longer open. There is just a bar located inside the museum.

phaleslu
admin
beers 16557 º places 794 º 13:45 Wed 11/9/2011

I just read Seymour’s rating for Selam. If they do have Ethiopian beers, I missed it. And I’ll happily eat crow because having something like that -does- warrant inclusion here. And I’ll go out there and try them!

phaleslu
admin
beers 16557 º places 794 º 13:45 Wed 11/9/2011

Originally posted by jckp64
The cabin inn is no longer open. There is just a bar located inside the museum.

I went to the closing night a year ago. I hadn’t heard of it reopening.

jckp64
beers 356 º places 7 º 14:12 Wed 11/9/2011

The old owner of the Cabin opened the handlebar

jckp64
beers 356 º places 7 º 14:14 Wed 11/9/2011

Originally posted by phaleslu
http://www.ratebeer.com/Place/state/city/Walmart---Ava/23722.htm

Ugh.

Who the hell added Walmart

seymour
beers 2594 º places 50 º 16:11 Wed 11/9/2011

Hi Peter,
I get your righteous indignation about lame "beer places," but I want to bring some clarity to this issue. Many of the bad beer places you listed were created (inadvertently) by me. You know how each time you finish a beer rating, it asks you where you bought it? As a new rater, if I didn’t find the vendor on the list, I added it, believing it to be a question of distribution, not some holy site for beer pilgrims, as is apparently intended. I’m sure that’s how Walmart got added: someone bought a pack of Blue Moon there and told the truth. Case in point: I like Negra Modelo. The roasted barley with a crisp lager finish is as close to good beer as you can get at most Mexican restaurants. So, when I rated Negra Modelo, my most recent experience was over dinner at Amigo Joe’s. Where is Negra Modelo available in St. Louis? Well, one cool place in Amigo Joe’s. Is it the only/best place? Of course not. Is Amigo Joe’s a beer Mecca for out-of-towners? No, obviously. See what I mean? Don’t worry, I’ve stopped adding minor locations. That said, I buy a lot of good craft beer at Shop ’n Save nowadays. Olympia is the only place I’ve had O’Fallon Hemp Hop Rye on tap, and they had several other locals and regionals as well. Old Rock House is where I had Six Row Whale on tap, and they had other obscurities as well. Shouldn’t we be drawing attention to a local concert venue who’s committed to local brewpubs?