BC standouts in Alberta

Reads 419 • Replies 9 • Started Saturday, December 10, 2016 1:52:16 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

VertBaconStrips
beers 2445 º places 4 º 01:52 Sat 12/10/2016

BC has taken off to the point where I find myself highly focused on anything coming out of the province. BC brews absorb a good 50-75% of my monthly beer expenses. We’ve got a pretty decent selection available around here and I’ve found that this year I put a lot of $ into Dageraad Blonde, Category 12 Disruption and Driftwood Fat Tug (overwhelming top purchase in bottle and tap) and Raised by Wolves (giant single purchase). Also heavily bought the Phillips mixers for mtb trail work which goes against my old and now extinct dislike of the brewery as I simply grew to enjoy. What am I missing or neglecting as far as exceptional BC brews are concerned?

TimE
beers 8459 º places 409 º 06:03 Sat 12/10/2016

That is/was in AB in 2016 https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/persephone-keller-pilsner/280978/
That beer is one of the best from western Canada as far as I am concerned.

I heard the Double IPA was also in AB, but never tried.

Of course 4 winds was briefly available but that was about it, as far as I know.

I still rate Fernie Project 9 Pilsner as top notch but doesn’t get the credit it deserves

Tim

Crit
beers 5016 º places 159 º 12:45 Sun 12/11/2016

Originally posted by VertBaconStrips
BC has taken off to the point where I find myself highly focused on anything coming out of the province. BC brews absorb a good 50-75% of my monthly beer expenses. We’ve got a pretty decent selection available around here and I’ve found that this year I put a lot of $ into Dageraad Blonde, Category 12 Disruption and Driftwood Fat Tug (overwhelming top purchase in bottle and tap) and Raised by Wolves (giant single purchase). Also heavily bought the Phillips mixers for mtb trail work which goes against my old and now extinct dislike of the brewery as I simply grew to enjoy. What am I missing or neglecting as far as exceptional BC brews are concerned?

Had any Tofino stuff like Hoppin Cretin? Or Persephone stuff ?

CapFlu
beers 5136 º places 238 º 12:45 Sun 12/11/2016

Originally posted by TimE
ANYTHING persephone... Of course 4 winds

YES.

Any Driftwood sours?

Moon Under Water has some very solid beers.

Hoser
beers 388 º places 178 º 20:38 Sun 12/11/2016

Originally posted by CapFlu
Originally posted by TimE
ANYTHING persephone... Of course 4 winds

YES.

Any Driftwood sours?

Moon Under Water has some very solid beers.

No Moon Under Water in Alberta, just got Hoyne about a week ago. We haven’t got Driftwood Sours as yet, well we got their Gose.

Crit
beers 5016 º places 159 º 12:42 Mon 12/12/2016

Barkerville 52 Foot Stout as well

VertBaconStrips
beers 2445 º places 4 º 21:57 Mon 12/12/2016

I’ve yet to try the 52 but I can’t imagine I will - it’s like 13 bux

fiulijn
beers 28351 º places 745 º 00:29 Tue 12/13/2016

Yeah, sounds insane. I will find out how much it is in vancouver, for comparison.
How much is the tax in AB? Here it’s 10% liquor tax on top of the 5% gst

Crit
beers 5016 º places 159 º 12:47 Tue 12/13/2016

Originally posted by fiulijn

Yeah, sounds insane. I will find out how much it is in vancouver, for comparison.

I just bought 3 at Central City store. With my Camra discount they were $6.60 each

fiulijn
beers 28351 º places 745 º 13:18 Tue 12/13/2016

Originally posted by Crit
Originally posted by fiulijn

I just bought 3 at Central City store. With my Camra discount they were $6.60 each

Sounds about right.
Indeed 13$ for Barkerville is a rip off; I wonder who is making the big bucks here. You are paying as if somebody drove to Quesnel to bring back a single box of beer and charges you for the trip.