Beer Ordering

Reads 1680 • Replies 18 • Started Friday, January 20, 2017 7:39:30 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

BeardedAvenger
beers 7330 º places 596 º 15:52 Sun 1/22/2017

I had that happen recently in a brewery tap, which is pretty poor (Albion, Winchester - Flowerpots Brewery). Not exactly an advert for their own beers.

Then again, I asked for a particular beer in the Hogs Back shop and the guy said he’d never heard of it, before then remembering it was something they’d stocked years ago and which had been really unpopular. The last time I was there, a month or so before, it was recommended to me but they’d just sold the last bottle, which was why I was asking.

slowrunner77
beers 19964 º places 499 º 09:26 Mon 1/23/2017

More often than I’d like.
I remember once ordering a Kilt Lifter by saying "I’ll have the scotch ale." When I got the thousand yard stare, I repeated myself just in case they didn’t hear me. Then I just gave up and said "the Kilt lifter, please"...but still had to point to it.
This was not at the brewer, of course, but especially with only a handful of taps, I thought it was hilarious they didn’t know what they were pouring.
Falls under YOU HAD ONE JOB.

FatPhil
beers 26064 º places 995 º 11:06 Mon 1/23/2017

Witnessed a couple of days back:
Punter: And a pint of lager please?
Staff: Which one?
Punter: I don’t know, what have you got
Staff, looking at the pillar with lager taps on: Peroni, Stella, and Punk

My place review is 5 years old, I’m gonna revisit it...

minutemat
beers 14700 º places 551 º 11:24 Mon 1/23/2017

Originally posted by SarkyNorthener
All the time.

I don’t even ask anymore.

Yep. Even very highly-rated bars with an insane selection can have clueless staff. For bars i’ve never been in before I just play it safe, peruse the list from afar and quietly type into my phone like a pathetic geek.

Travlr
beers 33913 º places 4595 º 11:30 Mon 1/23/2017

Originally posted by minutemat
Originally posted by SarkyNorthener
All the time.

I don’t even ask anymore.

Yep. Even very highly-rated bars with an insane selection can have clueless staff. For bars i’ve never been in before I just play it safe, peruse the list from afar and quietly type into my phone like a pathetic geek.

and yet bars with 50+ taps and massive turnover (I’m looking at you, ChurchKey) can have stellar staff who know pretty much every beer. Or will be honest with you and say so if they don’t. It all comes down to training, imho.

after4ever
admin
beers 8025 º places 322 º 16:19 Tue 1/24/2017

Online taplists are the key! I often add beers to RB before I even walk in the door somewhere. These things require planning, y’know.

Being on this site for so long has made it really fun to pile up beer information and share it. Having a good place’s stuff trust US with questions is a great feeling. I can’t imagine too many more geekily satisfying ways to get a free beer than sitting at the bar writing a quick description for somebody’s taplist or something like that. Just gotta make sure it doesn’t puff my ego.

blipp
beers 14843 º places 219 º 16:37 Tue 1/24/2017

Originally posted by Travlr
Or will be honest with you and say so if they don’t.

I think this is important. An "I don’t know, it just got tapped this morning and I haven’t tried it yet; do you want me to bring you a sample?" is ok 100% of the time with me.

Travlr
beers 33913 º places 4595 º 17:26 Tue 1/24/2017

Originally posted by blipp
Originally posted by Travlr
Or will be honest with you and say so if they don’t.

I think this is important. An "I don’t know, it just got tapped this morning and I haven’t tried it yet; do you want me to bring you a sample?" is ok 100% of the time with me.

Definitely. And most of the time the server will sample it with you