Best Breweries in Japan 2016 - results

Reads 3341 • Replies 22 • Started Monday, January 16, 2017 7:00:11 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

jonno
beers 2750 º places 211 º 19:29 Wed 1/18/2017

Originally posted by beercation
Originally posted by KyotoLefty
Fuji was super strong last year.
I guess a lot of people don’t get excited about those styles. Plus, a few others had bigger jumps up.

Fujizakura makes great Heffs and Pils, too bad the locals get too influenced by the haze/whalez bros.

Don’t get me wrong, love me some big ass hops, but yeah a well made German is a thing of beauty. I think sometimes people drive up ratings on certain breweries for trade value/street cred with brewers too, which can confuse people visiting as to the true quality brewers in Japan.

shoulderbroken
beers 4258 º places 393 º 19:20 Sun 1/22/2017

Totally missed all this action on here, so loads to comment on.
TimE, I’ve had Zakkoku semi-regularly at Gremlin. They are around I think, just in some less well known places.
Beercation, have never really rated the Marihana and their regular beers are not for me, but I did have some interesting ones from Coedo at Keyaki. Still not in danger of nearing my top 10 though. And that imperial saison with Stone was a bit of a mess for me.
I’d agree with Will and say that I missed the exciting new beers of Fujizakura. Still can’t quite get round to going to their taproom for a few reasons. Their festival selections are always pretty uninspiring. Not the beer, just the ones they chose to take, which are the ones that are available pretty much everywhere. Wish they’d bring out the seasonals at Keyaki.
The untappd list is a bit skewed isn’t it? We know there is huge homerism on there for Far Yeast (from brewery employees) and North Island (from their bar regulars) just scoring everything as 5. But makes interesting reading anyway.