Bourbon County Stout going year round. How will this affect it?

Reads 3997 • Replies 37 • Started Monday, April 16, 2012 11:12:38 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

DietPepsican
beers 1592 º places 63 º 11:43 Mon 4/16/2012

Originally posted by GodOfThunder
Bud Light Platinum

I was hoping for something a little better. It’s a bit too grainy and sweet to have more than five or six in a sitting

CanIHave4Beers
beers 4373 º places 76 º 11:50 Mon 4/16/2012

Originally posted by pepsiedcan
Originally posted by Jeppe
it will taste less rare

Like it did back in 2008 when a single batch would sit on the shelf for a year in most areas. The IIPA that came out around the same time though, good lord. Bring that back you jerks. That would taste so damn rare right now.

That business used to come around here on Draught now and again, drank damn fine, and fairly rare since it wasn’t in bottles & no one ever seemed to know if this was going to be the last keg of it ever.

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 11:51 Mon 4/16/2012

Originally posted by CanIHave4Beers
Originally posted by pepsiedcan
it will taste less rare

Like it did back in 2008 when a single batch would sit on the shelf for a year in most areas. The IIPA that came out around the same time though, good lord. Bring that back you jerks. That would taste so damn rare right now.

That business used to come around here on Draught now and again, drank damn fine, and fairly rare since it wasn’t in bottles & no one ever seemed to know if this was going to be the last keg of it ever.

That has actually made an appearance at a Tap Takeover recently.

I don’t think they have plans to bottle it again.. but they do plan to make kegs of it.

phaleslu
admin
beers 16556 º places 794 º 11:52 Mon 4/16/2012

I’ll buy more. I’m tired of not being able to buy a "special release" just because I didn’t take a day off work to drive around or didn’t call the store a month ahead of time to get on a list or didn’t click "buy" fast enough. As long as there is no decrease in quality then I like this.

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 11:54 Mon 4/16/2012

Originally posted by phaleslu
I’ll buy more. I’m tired of not being able to buy a "special release" just because I didn’t take a day off work to drive around or didn’t call the store a month ahead of time to get on a list or didn’t click "buy" fast enough. As long as there is no decrease in quality then I like this.

+1. I’d buy a case a year for myself if it was readily available.

Probably more for traders.

bootsjohn
beers 72 º places 28 º 11:56 Mon 4/16/2012

Barrel-aging is far more on the artistic side of brewing than on the scientific side. Brewing Honkers Ale year round has a much more predictable and consistent outcome than producing a BBA stout, which requires patience and taste to get right. Most public companies are notorious for being under severe pressure from boards of directors/share/stakeholders to make a profit, which is much more easily derived from a predictable and consistent outcome than a more spontaneous one. Given that, year-round Honkers vs. year-round BCS is a very difficult comparison to make.

I think sales will be proportionately lower (i.e. fewer sellouts at stores) as rarity/scarcity drives a lot of this sale now and that is about to become a non-issue for most buyers.

Originally posted by jezmez68
Originally posted by TheAlum
ABInBev hasn’t forced Goose to do anything so far.. what makes you think BCS will be the thing that changes that?

Totally. It’s like saying that Honker’s Ale when they released it year round would lose quality. Why would AB want to put a crap product out? Answer? It wouldn’t. It wouldn’t want to hurt something that was making them money. They’re a big company, not a stupid one.

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 11:58 Mon 4/16/2012

it will taste less rare

Exactly. Given that regional folks are already dealing with its year round ubiquity, will increasing supply improve sales long term?

And among imperial stouts there seems to be this big problem of the desire to have greatness on hand by consumers and the instability, inconsistency issues which are risks increased by higher ABVs, barrel aging and long storage.

Will year round production encourage a more general "drink it now" mentality for optimal quality?

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 12:00 Mon 4/16/2012

Originally posted by joet
it will taste less rare

Exactly. Given that regional folks are already dealing with its year round ubiquity, will increasing supply improve sales long term?

And among imperial stouts there seems to be this big problem of the desire to have greatness on hand by consumers and the instability, inconsistency issues which are risks increased by higher ABVs, barrel aging and long storage.

Will year round production encourage a more general "drink it now" mentality for optimal quality?

I think a lot of us, around Chicago especially, want to drink it now.

The problems and difficulty in acquiring it currently encourages or at least makes one think twice before opening a bottle.. I’d think availability would change that drastically..

And it doesn’t see draft much anymore (Aside from the batch coming out that will be tap only in late Apr/May).. usually only for events.

phaleslu
admin
beers 16556 º places 794 º 12:18 Mon 4/16/2012

I’m with Adam. I think sales will be fine long-term. This doesn’t even hit shelves in STL anymore because of how fast it sells. There isn’t nearly enough.

There’s nothing wrong with being, say, Expedition, which comes out a few times a year, sells its allotment everywhere but not immediately, and has seen no decline in reputation among the beer rating community.

tommann
beers 7123 º places 33 º 12:47 Mon 4/16/2012

My local store in England had 12 bottles this year, and none the two years before. More product means they can ship more to the international markets, driving up the customer base. Economies of scale should, hopefully, see a price decrease, and as such, customers maybe inclined to buy more.