Calgary Bottle Shops

Reads 391 • Replies 9 • Started Sunday, January 15, 2017 10:30:23 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

jercraigs
beers 14885 º places 1051 º 10:30 Sun 1/15/2017

What are the good bottle shops? Looking at the place ratings I can’t tell if there are a few stars or if they are all terrible! The mix of ratings/old ratings is interesting.

Cheers,
Jeremy

TimE
beers 8459 º places 409 º 18:50 Sun 1/15/2017

Oak & Vine Inglewood - with growler fills. I haven’t rated it yet, but I would give high 80s/90 if/when I do
Kensington Wine Market
Willow Park Liquors

If you want growler fills, OV is the best hands down. Also OV covers local stuff pretty well. If you are looking for AB beers, might be the best choice (if not nearly the best choice)

Kensington is central (as is OV), but Willow Park is a bit of a schlep from downtown. If you want more unique imports, Kensington might be slightly better.

Tim

DuffMan
beers 10981 º places 349 º 21:46 Mon 1/16/2017

I agree with TimE.
I’d like to add that Zyn has a new store in Inglewood on the main drag, not far from Oak & Vine. Between those two, you will do very well stocking up, plus you’ll enjoy walking around Inglewood. There’s some cool shops, cafes, and galleries in that neighbourhood.

Hoser
beers 388 º places 178 º 23:20 Mon 1/16/2017

Oak and Vine Inglewood is the one for you to hit if you can’t make down then Oak and Vine 16 Ave NW and 10 st is a good one for ticks. Not a lot of stores put the effort they do into sourcing new product each week. They always have the latest and greatest.

The thing about Inglewood is High Line a new micro brewery opened very close by.

DuffMan
beers 10981 º places 349 º 23:28 Mon 1/16/2017

^^that is definitely a good reason to go! I didn’t know they had opened!

Hoser
beers 388 º places 178 º 01:07 Tue 1/17/2017

Originally posted by TimE
Oak & Vine Inglewood - with growler fills. I haven’t rated it yet, but I would give high 80s/90 if/when I do
Kensington Wine Market
Willow Park Liquors

If you want growler fills, OV is the best hands down. Also OV covers local stuff pretty well. If you are looking for AB beers, might be the best choice (if not nearly the best choice)

Kensington is central (as is OV), but Willow Park is a bit of a schlep from downtown. If you want more unique imports, Kensington might be slightly better.

Tim

Since Kensington changed ownership the beer section is not as adventurous, think they still have the Tilquin Mure though.

TimE
beers 8459 º places 409 º 02:13 Tue 1/17/2017

Originally posted by DuffMan
I agree with TimE.
I’d like to add that Zyn has a new store in Inglewood on the main drag, not far from Oak & Vine. Between those two, you will do very well stocking up, plus you’ll enjoy walking around Inglewood. There’s some cool shops, cafes, and galleries in that neighbourhood.

Good point on Zyn, nothing to lose as it is across the street, but I must say I had pretty different experience between Zyn and OV. Zyn treated me like a moron the second I walked in the shop and assumed I knew nothing about beer (apparently I need to be careful of Cantillion as its sour beer, etc), but they seemed completely clueless when I talked about new local breweries. Basically went to OV and had the complete opposite experience. I’ve heard similar experiences from friends and basically everyone I know has pretty much given up on Zyn now.

Tim

jercraigs
beers 14885 º places 1051 º 06:30 Tue 1/17/2017

Thanks guys. I’m figuring we will try to hit one or two shops on our way out of town to get beer for our road trip.

Hoser
beers 388 º places 178 º 17:02 Tue 1/17/2017

The 16 ave location of Oak and Vine is on Trans Canada. The most you would have to do is cross the street.

DuffMan
beers 10981 º places 349 º 17:29 Tue 1/17/2017

Originally posted by TimE
Originally posted by DuffMan
I agree with TimE.

Good point on Zyn, nothing to lose as it is across the street, but I must say I had pretty different experience between Zyn and OV. Zyn treated me like a moron the second I walked in the shop and assumed I knew nothing about beer (apparently I need to be careful of Cantillion as its sour beer, etc), but they seemed completely clueless when I talked about new local breweries. Basically went to OV and had the complete opposite experience. I’ve heard similar experiences from friends and basically everyone I know has pretty much given up on Zyn now.

Tim

I agree, help was nonexistent at Zyn. But they did have at least a dozen or more sections that OV did not. My advice is more to point out that there isn’t any single beer store that will carry everything of interest, and Inglewood permits a double hit for selection. But if time is of the essence and you have to choose only one, make it Oak & Vine.