CAMRA vote on craft beer

Reads 7468 • Replies 83 • Started Monday, May 16, 2011 10:34:22 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

EdKing
beers 3664 º places 307 º 10:34 Mon 5/16/2011

I’ve never heard CAMRA mentioned on here, but I guess a few people are members. Interested on what people think about the vote on whether CAMRA should support craft beer instead of just Cask.

It’s being turned into a cask versus keg debate, it seems.

I’m pretty new to this but I’ve thought for a while that CAMRA is missing the biggest thing going on right now by not embracing craft beer, although always pleased with the USA stalls at GBBF.

As a novice here’s a few questions for you chaps. How much craft beer is keg? Most American craft beers are bottle conditioned right?

Can someone enlighten me a bit about what the issues are from the craft beer scene point of view on this debate?

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 11:09 Mon 5/16/2011

Wasn’t aware there had been a vote. Source?

Gary
beers 2114 º places 4 º 11:24 Mon 5/16/2011

EdKing
beers 3664 º places 307 º 11:30 Mon 5/16/2011

Sorry, I’m wrong. There is no vote. It’s a debate going on and there’s an article in CAMRA’s ’Beer’ magazine where proponents and opposers are discussing it.

haddonsman
beers 1234 º places 56 º 11:34 Mon 5/16/2011

There was no cask/keg vote at AGM. There is debate within/out of CAMRA about keg beer, heightened since Roger Protz’s article in April’s What’s Brewing.

There’s no such thing as craft beer in the UK. It’s just another pointless marketing term.

Brewers can say they brew it, bars can say they serve it, drinkers can say they drink it. But it’s just beer.

Gazza
beers 727 º places 167 º 11:47 Mon 5/16/2011

Originally posted by haddonsman
There’s no such thing as craft beer in the UK. It’s just another pointless marketing term.

I disagree. "craft" beer is beer that is made by people who, in the main, live and breathe beer. You might think this is the same as cask beer but, the way I see it, there’s a whole wide ocean of difference between a lot of the quasi-industrial cask ale brewers and those of us who call what we make craft beer.

Yes, it may be a vacuous marketing term and, yes, we may have stolen it from the US, but I think it’s a distinct pointer to what you’re going to get; properly brewed, interesting beer which doesn’t really encompass a lot of cask in the UK IMO.

Brewers can say they brew it, bars can say they serve it, drinkers can say they drink it. But it’s just beer.

That’s a rather simplistic and, dare I say, vapid way of describing beer... unless you’re using English sarcasm then that’s OK!

EdKing
beers 3664 º places 307 º 11:50 Mon 5/16/2011

Then how do we describe what Brewdog and Kernel are doing which is clearly very different to the status quo in this country? What to we call beer making that breaks traditional conventions? Craft beer?

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 11:51 Mon 5/16/2011

Since CAMRA is the Campaign For Real Ale, I don’t imagine there will be any prospect of actively promoting anything that that doesn’t fit the definition of "real ale" until such time as there is a vote in favour of that policy at the AGM.

Of course, if there were to be a change of policy, one would first have to set about defining what "craft beer" is - not an easy task. I don’t really like the term either.

Perhaps CAMRA should really be supporting good beer. But then it would have to stop promoting much of the brown mediocrity (IMHO) churned out by the regional brewers (and "new national" brewers) that it has been in love with for so long.

haddonsman
beers 1234 º places 56 º 12:11 Mon 5/16/2011

I almost applaud the sentiment of those brewers / bars who want to differentiate themselves from the mass blandness. But ’craft’ is already a misnomer in the US - it’s effectively what the Boston Beer Company want it to be - so I feel forward-thinking brewers and bars in the UK are just thinking lazily when they appropriate the term.

What Kernel are doing isn’t craft or artisinal or boutique. It’s called brewing good beer and understanding how to bottle it.

What Brewdog are doing is called shitting in their own basket. If they’re the vanguard of the craft beer revolution, then the craft beer revolution is already fucked into a cocked hat.

Gazza
beers 727 º places 167 º 12:49 Mon 5/16/2011

But ’craft’ is already a misnomer in the US - it’s effectively what the Boston Beer Company want it to be - so I feel forward-thinking brewers and bars in the UK are just thinking lazily when they appropriate the term.

I agree totally, but we don’t have a better term to use at present so it’ll have to do... maybe that can be your job in beer, to think up a new phrase for us "craft" brewers?!

What Kernel are doing isn’t craft or artisinal or boutique. It’s called brewing good beer and understanding how to bottle it.

It’s also craft brewing whether you like the phrase or not, but I’d agree on their amazing bottling quality which no other UK brewer can match, we need to have a talk to Evin I think!

What Brewdog are doing is called shitting in their own basket. If they’re the vanguard of the craft beer revolution, then the craft beer revolution is already fucked into a cocked hat.

Brewdog really annoy me. If they couldn’t brew then I wouldn’t care about all the marketing bollocks they spin but, the fact is, they have made some stunners along the way including HTDC and the original Chaos Theory.

The way they choose to crawl up their collective arse rather than brew good beer (which none of those I’ve had recently have been, not bad but not as great as I know they can do) is nothing short of a Paul Gascoigne-esque waste of talent... they can brew great beer, they just choose not to.

It all started when they started believing their own bullshit IMO...

EdKing
beers 3664 º places 307 º 12:51 Mon 5/16/2011

Brewdog comments. Please explain further...