Cleaning Beer Glasses - Umpteenth Time

Reads 3123 • Replies 14 • Started Thursday, June 24, 2004 11:42:23 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

YourDarkLord
beers 1800 º places 19 º 11:42 Thu 6/24/2004

<font color="navy"><font face="Arial">
So many suggestions have been made. Clean with a solution of baking soda. Clean with a solution of salt. Just use very hot water. Clean with a solution of white vinegar. Don't use dish detergent. Use dish detergent. Use the dishwasher. Don't use the dishwasher. Air dry. Towel dry with lint free towel. One forum says "Squirt one drop of washing up liquid into it. (Just one drop) Next turn your hot water tap on full blast. When the water's nearly boiling, shove your glass under it and leave it there until the water comes out clear. Rinse glass with cold water . . . "

So which is it? Do we really know? I have this growing collection of different beer glasses and am concerned. If I wash my beer glass in clean water with a clean cloth and use dish detergent, will it ruin the glass? This was the only article on the subject I could find. http://byo.com/mrwizard/868.html

Yeah, we've been down this road many, many times. Still, there are always new people on the list who may have the same concern. Forgive me for bringing up an much bantered subject.
</font id="Arial"></font id="navy">

papajohn
beers 1250 º places 25 º 11:52 Thu 6/24/2004

As soon as I empty my glass, I hold it under HOT water while rubbing the rim with my clean bare hand. Rinse three times and air dry. Works for me.

DavidP
beers 1745 º places 58 º 11:53 Thu 6/24/2004

Beer residue was once dissolved in water, so why wouldn't more water remove all of it?

I use hot water 90% of the time, and iodine if there's beer gunked on the bottom. The iodine gets used with a "beer glass only" sponge scrubber on a stick.

badgerben
beers 5647 º places 138 º 13:00 Thu 6/24/2004

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by papajohn

As soon as I empty my glass, I hold it under HOT water while rubbing the rim with my clean bare hand. Rinse three times and air dry. Works for me.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

My method exactly.

-Ben

Indra
beers 2711 º places 78 º 13:10 Thu 6/24/2004

Sometimes I just rinse them out, sometimes I throw them in the dishwasher, sometimes I wash by hand using regular old dish soap. I don't think it really matters at all as long as the glass gets clean. Some people make cleaning beer glasses more complicated than it really is, I think.

PhillyBeer2112
beers 3501 º places 102 º 16:19 Thu 6/24/2004

I really want to write up some elaborate and mystical procedure as a joke - but what the heck?!

This is not rocket science nor lab chemistry!
I wash my beer glasses like I wash all of my dishware. In hot soapy water with a good hot water rinse and scrubby sponge.
What in the world could be bad about this procedure? I have no problems with soapy taste in the beers I drink (or the food I eat off my plates washed in the same manner, or water drunk from other glasses washed the same way) nor do I have head retention problems from potentially dirty glasses (nor do I get food poisoning from plates washed in the same manner).

The only extra care I take is not to use an abrasive scrubber on glasses that have painted on words or are gold rimmed. Also, if dried beer goo is stuck in the bottom of the glass (esp a tall glass), i let it sit with hot soapy water in it for a couple of hours.

Joeh
beers 2049 º places 49 º 17:04 Thu 6/24/2004

If you rinse them out straight after use there is usually no problem, but how many of us can be bothered with that? If I forget (blame the alcohol), I usually just fill with hot water and allow to soak. Probably with that is you often get a mark where the waterline is.

eboats
beers 1083 º places 32 º 20:48 Thu 6/24/2004

I just rinse it out.

Kinz
beers 3786 º places 66 º 23:47 Thu 6/24/2004

I chuck a bit of Arm & Hammer baking soda in the bottom of each glass, fill with as hot a water as I can stand (or hotter if there is dried residue, bad Kinz for not washing quicker, bad, bad) and scrub with bare hand. Rinse the living heck out of it, and air dry. If I've done a top notch job, no spots. If was in the least bit negligent, there will be a few spots to tell me I cut corners.

grant
beers 842 º places 4 º 23:57 Thu 6/24/2004

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by PhillyBeer2112

I really want to write up some elaborate and mystical procedure as a joke - but what the heck?!

This is not rocket science nor lab chemistry!
I wash my beer glasses like I wash all of my dishware. In hot soapy water with a good hot water rinse and scrubby sponge.
What in the world could be bad about this procedure? I have no problems with soapy taste in the beers I drink (or the food I eat off my plates washed in the same manner, or water drunk from other glasses washed the same way) nor do I have head retention problems from potentially dirty glasses (nor do I get food poisoning from plates washed in the same manner).

The only extra care I take is not to use an abrasive scrubber on glasses that have painted on words or are gold rimmed. Also, if dried beer goo is stuck in the bottom of the glass (esp a tall glass), i let it sit with hot soapy water in it for a couple of hours.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

You know what, I used to abide by the rinse or salt scrub rule. Then I quit, mostly out of laziness. Guess what happened? Nothing. No soapy flavors, just as there are no soap flavors in the water I drink out of my glasses. And no impingement on head formation. You do have to rinse well, but you should do that anyway, so you don't ingest soap.

AlphaOne
beers 142 º places 2 º 02:33 Fri 6/25/2004

wash with soap, rinse thoroughly, and a final rinse with pure distilled grain spirit.

not really, but i would if i had a good, cheap scorce