Cooking with beer

Reads 2197 • Replies 18 • Started Saturday, February 16, 2013 3:05:24 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

NeoHippie2
beers 1074 º places 51 º 15:05 Sat 2/16/2013

So spring is just around the corner and as it warms, I always end up drinking more beer. This year Id like to try cooking with beer more often as well. What are some of your favorite beer infused recipes?

Sigmund
beers 13352 º places 447 º 15:16 Sat 2/16/2013

About ANY recipe that normally calls for a certain amount of liquid (often water) - just replace that liquid with the same amount of beer, and you’ll be a happy fellow. But it might be a good idea to avoid beers with an extreme bitterness.

pinkie
beers 470 º places 10 º 15:19 Sat 2/16/2013

http://www.thebeercook.com/

Here’s a blog you might like.

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 16:27 Sat 2/16/2013

Originally posted by Sigmund
About ANY recipe that normally calls for a certain amount of liquid (often water) - just replace that liquid with the same amount of beer, and you’ll be a happy fellow. But it might be a good idea to avoid beers with an extreme bitterness.

This.

Most creamy or cheesy soups and sauces benefit.

Tomato-based sauces, including pasta sauces, Indian and Salisbury steak sauce, are good.

As a pan liquid for roasting poultry with vegetables.

With ice cream in milk shakes.

And don’t forget to turn your old beer into malt vinegars which can be interesting pickling liquid for any vegetable you pickle.

JoeMcPhee
beers 12100 º places 543 º 16:34 Sat 2/16/2013

Originally posted by joet
And don’t forget to turn your old beer into malt vinegars which can be interesting pickling liquid for any vegetable you pickle.

How does one do this at home? Just get an Acetobacter culture?

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 16:54 Sat 2/16/2013

Yep. You can get a mother of vinegar (commercial vinegar w/ culture) from health food stores.

I add it to beers, keep it warm for a few days and then filter and re-bottle.

DietPepsican
beers 1592 º places 63 º 17:39 Sat 2/16/2013

I added a labatt 52 to my chili yesterday.

DerWeg
beers 2175 º places 48 º 20:29 Sat 2/16/2013

What are good deglazing beers? I cook and deglaze bananas and pears with breakfast, or do mixed veggies. Beer can seem grainy-tasting with mild ingredients.

foppa78
places 12 º 20:42 Sat 2/16/2013

Originally posted by randomgarbage
I added a labatt 52 to my chili yesterday.

I thought you were eating tenderloins yesterday. I feel duped!

NeoHippie2
beers 1074 º places 51 º 21:58 Sat 2/16/2013

Originally posted by joet
Originally posted by Sigmund

This.

Most creamy or cheesy soups and sauces benefit.

Tomato-based sauces, including pasta sauces, Indian and Salisbury steak sauce, are good.

As a pan liquid for roasting poultry with vegetables.

With ice cream in milk shakes.

I’ve experienced a beer milkshake before and those are amazing. Good call.

pinkie
beers 470 º places 10 º 06:22 Sun 2/17/2013

Originally posted by DerWeg
What are good deglazing beers? I cook and deglaze bananas and pears with breakfast, or do mixed veggies. Beer can seem grainy-tasting with mild ingredients.

You can deglaze with any beer than compliments the flavors you are working with. What you want to remember though is the beer’s flavor will change when it’s heated. So you want to make sure you reduce your liquids and don’t boil the beer. Use the same discretion as with something like sour cream which also doesn’t stand up to high heat. And like wine don’t cook with a beer you wouldn’t drink.

Even one of the greatest beer and food proponents, Brewmaster Garret Oliver from Brooklyn Brewery in Brooklyn, New York, admits to the difficulties that cooking with beer can pose: “Actually, as much as I hate to say it, even though I generally feel that beer is the superior drink for food matching, I’d give wine the edge for most cooking,” he says. “Bitterness is a complicating factor for many recipes."

It’s not impossible but you have to work with it. Try using beer in marinades.