Day trips from Birmingham?

Reads 2520 • Replies 35 • Started Thursday, May 25, 2017 1:06:40 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

BeardedAvenger
beers 7320 º places 596 º 00:24 Fri 5/26/2017

Up in Brum for work next week. Going to do Beacon Hotel, Jolly Crispin and Britannia Inn (or whatever the Bathams pub is called) on Wednesday, with a couple of colleagues. Apparently my Thursday night is being planned, think it may involve 1,000 Trades. Did discover that the ladies all dropped out last time I was up there because they didn’t want to go to boring old man pubs. At some point want to drop in to the Davenports pub for some Highgate Protz 300 ticks. Won’t have time for my first visit to Cotteridge but have an order in with someone who’s going there this weekend.

Theydon_Bois
admin
beers 40515 º places 1239 º 01:39 Fri 5/26/2017

Always good to wind up the yocals ..

day trip wise you should look to hit the triangle that is Birmingham - Leicester - derby - Birmingham. Frequent train service ....Two per hour and short journeys .... roughly 50/30/40 minutes as prescribed above.

Used to be a ticket called heart of England day rover on the trains that gave unlimited travel in this area ... not sure if it still exists.

If not buy a return to Loughborough (between Leicester and derby) and you will be able to go via either route I imagine (although not sure on rules exiting derby and Leicester as think they have barriers now).

You could also include Nottingham In this.

lots of pubs and a few brew pubs in all of these cities and a chance for some rare Rutland ticks in Leicester possibly ?

Gary
beers 2114 º places 4 º 02:17 Fri 5/26/2017

Yeah, RICH take a joke and don’t be a sensitive snowflake. Collin is fucking around

The_Osprey
beers 10591 º places 178 º 02:58 Fri 5/26/2017

Not an expert in this part of the world. In terms of pretty places that may have the odd pub, Warwick and Leamington Spa could be options (never been myself).

I once went to Wolverhampton and found loads of new bitters and golds in half decent pubs. Probably not a cultural experience though

WingmanWillis
admin
beers 1563 º places 1908 º 03:17 Fri 5/26/2017

I’d second both BlackHaddock and Cloin. The Shrewsbury move is decent. Hourly train service and Oakengates has 3 pubs with a lot of ticks. Wellington has the Pheasant. Shifnal has a brewpub. Codsall has the station and a Joules pub up the road.

A trip to Beeston or Nottingham could bag you Warwickshire if you bail out at Nuneaton there’s a pub not far from the station that had a load of cask beers on. Leicester is good, Beeston has the Victoria next to the station and Nottingham is great. Swift hop to Derby and have the Brunswick and Alexandra 5 mins from station.
4 counties bagged in a day.

Black Country is great for pubs too or try the tram from Birmingham to Wolverhampton

minutemat
beers 14673 º places 551 º 18:08 Fri 5/26/2017

I would lean towards Sarky’s chauveur-driven tour of the black country / West Midlands. There are some cracking regional cask ales & nothing compares to enjoying fresh on home territory.

On your second day if you choose to venture into Shropshire im sure myself and haddock can look after you. Like Jeremy says there are a plethora of station & small town pubs along that line to Shrewsbury bursting with ticks, plus i run Chez Sophie so can host a mini bottle-share if you wish. Its also a nice medaeval town with a few characterful pubs to end this run in.

minutemat
beers 14673 º places 551 º 18:12 Fri 5/26/2017

Also there are a few new places in Brum ive not yet visited & may not be highly rated yet on here. The Wolf, 1000 trades and a couple of others. Richthevillan might be able to fill you in

BeardedAvenger
beers 7320 º places 596 º 02:13 Sat 5/27/2017

I see that Burning Soul opens at 16:00 on Friday. I am on a 16:50 from New Street. Is it worth getting to Burning Soul for 16:00 if I then have to walk to New Street?

May finally sign up for Uber so I can fit in some extra stops after work stuff is done. It just depends where I get taken to on Thursday - hopefully can engineer 1,000 Trades and Lone Wolf (good econo tip, Minutemat, failed to spot it previously), with a stop off at the Davenports pub on route back to my hotel.

RichTheVillan
beers 10685 º places 101 º 02:25 Sat 5/27/2017

Originally posted by BeardedAvenger
I see that Burning Soul opens at 16:00 on Friday. I am on a 16:50 from New Street. Is it worth getting to Burning Soul for 16:00 if I then have to walk to New Street?

May finally sign up for Uber so I can fit in some extra stops after work stuff is done. It just depends where I get taken to on Thursday - hopefully can engineer 1,000 Trades and Lone Wolf (good econo tip, Minutemat, failed to spot it previously), with a stop off at the Davenports pub on route back to my hotel.

That would give you 25 minutes in Burning Soul, I’d say its worth it, if you’re doing the Lone Wolf might be worth popping into The Indian, beer is middle of the road but the food is apparently good.

Gary
beers 2114 º places 4 º 02:42 Sat 5/27/2017

I’ve only ever visited Birmingham for sport . Football Wimbledon lost 7-1’ 5-1 @ Villa as stand out visits and the nec stadium for gladiators in the 90s. I’d like to do a beery tour some time.